My exhaust options - MyG37

G37 Sedan

My exhaust options

Old 08-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #1  
slowbird

My exhaust options

I know there are lots of threads on this and I have read through probably all of them related to my situation.

I got my G37x Sedan for a little over a week now and I'm loving it but I want to hear that signature exhaust note. Stock is too docile.

I'm not a stranger to loud exhaust. My previous car was a Fiat Abarth and the exhaust was very loud. Before that I had a full system on my Grand Am GT.
I'm trying to stay away from anything that will drone in the interior too much.

So one of the options is the famous muffler delete. I find it hard to believe that the exhaust drone (in cabin) is as minimal as everyone says. Plus the occasional person reports it is too droney. I have watched all the vids on YouTube and it sounds great but videos never accurately record what the exhaust sounds like in real life.
Again, if the drone is as minimal when cruising as people say this is top on my list.

Another option is a local person is selling a Q300 Invidia exhaust from a G37s Sedan. However it is not the full system. It is only the mufflers and the pipes forward of the mufflers. Everything from the X-Pipe forward isn't there.
The 2 problems with that is an exhaust shop will need to custom fit it to the stock exhaust, and I don't know what this "half q300-half stock" system will sound like.
...and this option is atleast 4x the cost of the muffler delete.

No other aftermarket system (that is specifically made for the G37) is really an option since US to CDN conversion is awful ATM and shipping would be ludacris.

I guess I could always go muffler delete and if I don't like it I could go from there?
slowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:08 PM   #2  
TheLocNar

Muffler delete and add straight pipes with custom tips.
TheLocNar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:10 PM   #3  
slowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by efuseakay View Post
Muffler delete and add straight pipes with custom tips.
Yeah, Sorry. When I say "Muffler delete" I mean removing the muffler and adding the straight pipes out the back with tips.

Do you have this modification?
Old 08-03-2015, 12:36 AM   #4  
NorCalG37x

Hi Slowbird,

I'm not sure what kind of money you want to spend or what your local shops are price wise, but you may choose to just go custom.

I did a lot of research before I did my exhaust and ultimately decided to have a shop build me an exhaust. I chose to do a cat back system with 2.25" pipe, Magnaflow X pipe, 18" Magnaflow resonators and Borla mufflers. My goal was to achieve a sound that was "classy" but aggressive upon acceleration. The resonators help keep the drone down, and in my opinion, the system sounds great. Most of the aftermarket systems for the G37 I researched were over $1000. I paid $1032.00 installed for mine. I feel like I got a sweet deal, I have the sound I was looking for and the shop did an amazingly clean install. I even paid to have flex connections installed at the cats (like factory) to minimize the potential for rattles.

I am working on taking some time to make a few videos to post for sound reference, but as you mentioned, videos can't give you a great sense.

Hope that helps some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
I know there are lots of threads on this and I have read through probably all of them related to my situation.

I got my G37x Sedan for a little over a week now and I'm loving it but I want to hear that signature exhaust note. Stock is too docile.

I'm not a stranger to loud exhaust. My previous car was a Fiat Abarth and the exhaust was very loud. Before that I had a full system on my Grand Am GT.
I'm trying to stay away from anything that will drone in the interior too much.

So one of the options is the famous muffler delete. I find it hard to believe that the exhaust drone (in cabin) is as minimal as everyone says. Plus the occasional person reports it is too droney. I have watched all the vids on YouTube and it sounds great but videos never accurately record what the exhaust sounds like in real life.
Again, if the drone is as minimal when cruising as people say this is top on my list.

Another option is a local person is selling a Q300 Invidia exhaust from a G37s Sedan. However it is not the full system. It is only the mufflers and the pipes forward of the mufflers. Everything from the X-Pipe forward isn't there.
The 2 problems with that is an exhaust shop will need to custom fit it to the stock exhaust, and I don't know what this "half q300-half stock" system will sound like.
...and this option is atleast 4x the cost of the muffler delete.

No other aftermarket system (that is specifically made for the G37) is really an option since US to CDN conversion is awful ATM and shipping would be ludacris.

I guess I could always go muffler delete and if I don't like it I could go from there?
NorCalG37x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NorCalG37x For This Useful Post:
Coltrane1 (03-12-2017), slowbird (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 12:53 AM   #5  
slowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalG37x View Post
Hi Slowbird,

I'm not sure what kind of money you want to spend or what your local shops are price wise, but you may choose to just go custom.

I did a lot of research before I did my exhaust and ultimately decided to have a shop build me an exhaust. I chose to do a cat back system with 2.25" pipe, Magnaflow X pipe, 18" Magnaflow resonators and Borla mufflers. My goal was to achieve a sound that was "classy" but aggressive upon acceleration. The resonators help keep the drone down, and in my opinion, the system sounds great. Most of the aftermarket systems for the G37 I researched were over $1000. I paid $1032.00 installed for mine. I feel like I got a sweet deal, I have the sound I was looking for and the shop did an amazingly clean install. I even paid to have flex connections installed at the cats (like factory) to minimize the potential for rattles.

I am working on taking some time to make a few videos to post for sound reference, but as you mentioned, videos can't give you a great sense.

Hope that helps some.
That helps alot. Thanks for sharing that. With the price to get aftermarket systems up here to Canada, customs seems the way to go.

I just don't know if I should even bother trying the muffler delete with straight pipes and tips or have them add mufflers or resonators right off the bat.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #6  
TheLocNar

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Yeah, Sorry. When I say "Muffler delete" I mean removing the muffler and adding the straight pipes out the back with tips.

Do you have this modification?
Ah. I totally missed that you mentioned that. lol No, I do not have this mod, but I would have saved a ton of money if I did. I do have the Fast Intentions exhaust for my xS sedan. Love it. In fact, it's the best exhaust system I've had compared to any of my past cars.
TheLocNar is offline   Reply With Quote