Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Dead battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Loki123
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@spinn - I am post #38 above - it has been 2 years since that post and my car has no battery issues at all - but it's interesting you bring up a point about a whine. I have noticed the car making a rev whine - I have an automatic 08 G37S with 110,000kms. Does this forum have the ability to post audio? Maybe we can compare "whines"? haha
Old 12-28-2014, 01:06 PM
fengyink

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rcktman
After my third battery discharge in three months, Infiniti took my car into the shop again. This time the technician did a thorough job and traced the problem to a faulty trunk latch. A circuit board on the latch was telling the computer on a random basis that the hatch was open and would turn on the trunk light. Over a week or two without being driven the battery would become completely discharged. My congratulations to Infiniti to find such a random problem. Have had no problems since the repair.
Congrats. If they failed here for a third time you can return the car using no lemon law.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:24 PM
mikebc118

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
**SOLVED** Battery drain issue with G37

This is for people having the battery drain issue with the G37 who do a lot of shorter commutes (under 10 miles). If you're like me my job is really close to my house less than a mile so my trips throughout the day (to and from but also random trips out at lunch or back to my house) caused my battery to drain and I would be unable to start the car without a jump. This was extremely bad during cold winters where the battery was already suffering from the cold. I added the below products easily bought on amazon and while a little bit of a pain they do the trick and I haven't had to worry about this issue since. As many have already stated the car takes a good deal of cranking amps to fire it up and despite me taking it in to the dealership for an ECU adjustment, it didn't help for the short drives around the city.

Parts:

1. NOCO Battery Life BLSOLAR5 5 Watt Solar Battery Charger and Maintainer (
Amazon.com: NOCO Battery Life BLSOLAR5 5 Watt Solar Battery Charger and Maintainer: Automotive Amazon.com: NOCO Battery Life BLSOLAR5 5 Watt Solar Battery Charger and Maintainer: Automotive
) - $49.95 amazon, the solar panel you can put in your dash back window etc.

2. NOCO Genius GC012 OBDII Connector - $15.95 amazon, need this as the solar panel comes with external battery connectors and cigarette lighter adaptor but the problem is the G37 doesn't allow power to flow through the cigarette lighter when car is off. The OBDII plug will work while car is off. **note here is that you'll need to unplug the adaptor before trying to start the car up as it will fry the fuse if you do. Learned this the hard way when it stopped charging the battery after a few days of use. If you disconnect this adaptor from the dash before starting this will prevent that issue.

3. NOCO GC027 12V 2A Flex Regulator - $12.95 amazon, connects between solar panel and OBDII adaptor and regulates the power flow to not over charge. The solar panel doesn't allow reverse charge issues some other panels were causing when the sun isn't charging at night and waking up to a dead battery so this has been a good buy for that reason.

That's it. With these 3 pieces I've been able to stop the battery drain issues and while inconvenient it's how I have to do things while in the city with all the short trips. It would also be a good idea to take your car to get professionally charged all the way before using this to maintain your charge.

Hope this helps people.
The following users liked this post:
Timothy Pieper (10-18-2021)
Old 11-06-2016, 01:31 AM
bpcuse

Still working fine?

mikebc118, is your fix still working?

For around $80, I'm tempted to try this with winter almost here and knowing the hell I went through last winter. I live 3 miles from work. I love your solution but I'm apprehensive about going through the OBDII connection. Would it be possible to hook it up directly to the battery using the connectors that come with the solar panel and routing it through the dash? I really want this fix to work, but just worry about causing damage to my car's CPU. Would you say the worst case scenario is the blown fuse if someone starts my car without first unplugging the OBDII connector?

Thanks for your advice and for figuring out a fix for us short commute drivers who live in very cold climates.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:02 PM
mulu

It's an older thread but I am having exactly the same issue with my G37S 2009, i.e. the battery voltage drops by about 0.5V overnight (about 12h) and when I don't use the car for 2-3 days it won't start. It looks like a 14935-JF00A is about $40 on Amazon. Is there a part number for the replacement BCM? Also, how much does Infiniti charge to update the ECU (I changed jobs and don't drive that much anymore)?
Old 06-27-2018, 08:40 PM
pjcampbells

I just purchased a mint G37X 2012 last November, and the first time it died my local, trusted non-Infiniti mechanic told me I had a bad battery so I replaced it with a brand new Interstate Battery. 3 months later it died again, leading me to search this forum and finding this thread. My question is if the TSB mentioned (emissions valve, flash prom update) covers the 2012 and forward?

PC
Old 09-03-2020, 12:14 AM
espimax
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
same issue here on my 08, this is a pain in the ***. I'm on my 5th battery, about to run my vin and see if it was done on the ntsb bulletin.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:04 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Originally Posted by mikebc118
This is for people having the battery drain issue with the G37 who do a lot of shorter commutes (under 10 miles). If you're like me my job is really close to my house less than a mile so my trips throughout the day (to and from but also random trips out at lunch or back to my house) caused my battery to drain and I would be unable to start the car without a jump. This was extremely bad during cold winters where the battery was already suffering from the cold. I added the below products easily bought on amazon and while a little bit of a pain they do the trick and I haven't had to worry about this issue since. As many have already stated the car takes a good deal of cranking amps to fire it up and despite me taking it in to the dealership for an ECU adjustment, it didn't help for the short drives around the city.

Parts:

1. NOCO Battery Life BLSOLAR5 5 Watt Solar Battery Charger and Maintainer (Amazon.com: NOCO Battery Life BLSOLAR5 5 Watt Solar Battery Charger and Maintainer: Automotive) - $49.95 amazon, the solar panel you can put in your dash back window etc.

2. NOCO Genius GC012 OBDII Connector - $15.95 amazon, need this as the solar panel comes with external battery connectors and cigarette lighter adaptor but the problem is the G37 doesn't allow power to flow through the cigarette lighter when car is off. The OBDII plug will work while car is off. **note here is that you'll need to unplug the adaptor before trying to start the car up as it will fry the fuse if you do. Learned this the hard way when it stopped charging the battery after a few days of use. If you disconnect this adaptor from the dash before starting this will prevent that issue.

3. NOCO GC027 12V 2A Flex Regulator - $12.95 amazon, connects between solar panel and OBDII adaptor and regulates the power flow to not over charge. The solar panel doesn't allow reverse charge issues some other panels were causing when the sun isn't charging at night and waking up to a dead battery so this has been a good buy for that reason.

That's it. With these 3 pieces I've been able to stop the battery drain issues and while inconvenient it's how I have to do things while in the city with all the short trips. It would also be a good idea to take your car to get professionally charged all the way before using this to maintain your charge.

Hope this helps people.
Updating, A 12v solar panel directly to the battery that has a built in diode so the car doesnt provide power back to it should do the job. The solar panel listed is a 12v so a voltage regulator is unnecessary since it won't charge more than 12v and the battery is capable of accepting up to 15v safely.

Im certain the reason why you listed #2 and #3 is because it would require less work since with the option I pointed you would need to pass the charger wires from the cabin to the battery.

At the very end the car will continue to drain .5 -1v so overcharging is impossible.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:07 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
For example this option has the required parts for half of the price.
Installation would require a direct install to the battery and not the inside of the car since the IPDM doenst actually send 14v to the interior components since it's unnecessary.

Amazon Amazon

If you plan on installing the panel inside the car you'll need to pass these wires from the cabin to the bay
Old 09-03-2020, 10:16 AM
Loki123
Registered Member

I am using the Odyssey Extreme 35-PC1400T Battery in my 2008 Infiniti G37S and it works like a charm. It's not cheap but can be discharged down 80% which is great for working from home and taking a lot of real short trips around without having to charge. (especially in the cold winter months)
Old 01-17-2022, 01:44 AM
Southside_p4

Angry 2010 Infiniti G37 battery issue

Okay, so I purchased this car a year ago from my little brother. I have to run the car daily and drive it or the battery dies.

I ran the car on Saturday, two days ago at noon, and tried to run it again on Sunday morning, yesterday. Dead battery. I'm having to run the car every single day to keep the battery working, then this. Less than 24 hours later, dead battery again.

I'm 54 and disabled, so driving is not a daily option for me, but I have never owned a vehicle that I've had to start and run daily to keep the battery active. My brother bought the car used about 5 years ago, and there isn't an Infinity dealer in this area.

I don't know if my battery is too small, or what the issue could be. I'm not very familiar with the underneath of the hood of a car, either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:09 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,013 Posts
While some of these cars have had issues with parasitic battery drain, I would not go that far, yet. Even if you are "running" the car "every day" you are likely not building up enough of a charge to get the battery to full charge. Plus, if you are in a colder climate, the lower temperatures will drain a battery much faster.

That said, how old is the battery and was it ever tested?

Being that you are not a daily driver I would suggest replacing the battery (or get it fully charged if relatively new) and buying a battery tender to keep the battery maintained. I have three (3) of these Battery Tender Jr. units for my vehicles. My G37 gets driven 1-2x a month, if that, while my beater pickup and tractor even less usage, but the battery always stays ready to go.
The following users liked this post:
petemo94 (01-17-2022)