Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Dead battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 PM
rcktman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead battery issues

I purchased my G37 in October 2007. Traded in a 2003 Corvette. Loved the performance of the Vette but unfortunately it is manufactured and serviced by GMC! Have not looked back since purchasing the G37. In July I started having a problem with the battery. I returned from a 9 day business trip and when I attempted to start the car the battery was DEAD. Charged the battery and took it to my dealer. Could not find an out of spec draw on my battery. Ended up replacing the battery. Drove the car for two weeks and went on a five day business trip. Returned to find the new battery DEAD. Dealer kept my car for a week (gave me a loaner) and could find nothing wrong with my car. No excessive draw and the charging system is operating correctly. They even spoke to the folks at Infinity and neither one could determine the problem. Any thoughts? I have a G37 Journey with premium package and navigation.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:35 AM
aznutx

hmm my battery is dying i think as well...
Old 10-09-2008, 10:09 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm guessing the alternator is working fine? I still have the original battery from my G35, ~4 years old 90,000 miles, i have subwoofers etc.. still works fine. Never had any issues with my G37. Are you leaving anything plugged in, it's dead after a long 45+ minute trip?

Wait I think I misunderstood your trips, you are not using your car right? Well it's likely from the alarm and maybe before you go on trips it's not completely charged. If you have a garage, don't lock your car next time or just keep a battery charger at home/in the car. I've never left mine for more than 7 days but it started right up. Seems perfectly normal so don't waste your time taking it to Infiniti, perhaps you should buy an Optima battery.

Last edited by DiamondGCoupe; 10-09-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:21 AM
lowrider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rcktman
They even spoke to the folks at Infinity and neither one could determine the problem. Any thoughts? I have a G37 Journey with premium package and navigation.
That's Infiniti

Lou
Old 11-07-2008, 09:15 AM
rcktman

G37 battery issue

After my third battery discharge in three months, Infiniti took my car into the shop again. This time the technician did a thorough job and traced the problem to a faulty trunk latch. A circuit board on the latch was telling the computer on a random basis that the hatch was open and would turn on the trunk light. Over a week or two without being driven the battery would become completely discharged. My congratulations to Infiniti to find such a random problem. Have had no problems since the repair.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:19 AM
aznutx

wow interesting , and im glad your problem is solved.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:12 PM
tomcatm

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow wonder if this is the problem for my car, if I dont start my car for 3-4 days my battery WILL die. Its happend 3 times already this year. I dont have any aftermarket electrical stuff installed, and I can confirm that no lights were left on or no keyfob was left inside the car. I am debating whether I should suck it up cuz I think the dealership will just say we cant replicate the problem or some bs. The only reason I am not upset as all hell is cuz I have a jumpstarter so it is not much of an inconvenience, and it is not very often I let it sit idle for more than 3 days.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:40 PM
aznutx

wont hurt to ask the dealership, but know that if ur car is over 1yr old, then u will be charged a prorated rate for the replacement battery, but if ur dealership is nice they might just let u get it free, otherwise, i'd recommend optima redtop!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Stunna G37S

Resolution

I have a 2008 G37 S and am experiencing a dead battery as well. I purchased my car brand new in Sept. 2007. In Sept. 2009 is when my battery first went dead. I had to jump start it. When I took it into the dealership, they said my battery tested fine. Well just a few days ago, it happened again. I jump started it and it was fine. The next day it wouldn't start again. I took it to the dealership and shared what others have experienced in this forum. What they shared with me is that there IS a bulletin out regarding this problem on some of the cars, not all. He then shared that the deal is that if the car is driven less than 14 miles on a daily average, it draws off battery power. Only until after the 14 miles, will the alternator kick in. Well this is my scenario exactly. I haven't been driving my car a lot lately. They ran some tests on it and again, the battery tested fine, but I told them I wasn't going to have this happen again. They are giving me an "updated" battery that will solve the problem but they had to keep my car overnight to keep testing it. Something about logging the info to know that this isn't an isolated incident, reaching their Tech line for support, and being able to support why my battery had to be replaced under warranty. Hope this helps others.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:04 AM
GT35R
Registered Member

I had the same issue. They could not find anything wrong. They gave me a new and more powerfull battery.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:39 AM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine died again today. Third time in 4 months. 2 year old battery.

Never took it to the dealer... just went in the backyard and sat on a pointy rock for 20 minutes so I could still get the "dealer experience" even though I couldn't drive there. J/K

Replaced it myself with an Optima Red Top.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GT35R
I had the same issue. They could not find anything wrong. They gave me a new and more powerfull battery.
If they did not replace the emissions valve then that battery will eventtually die too.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:55 PM
chuly740

Same issue

I had the same issue battery slowly got weaker and weaker then finally wouldn't start, now new battery is doing the same thing and it is only a few weeks old. POS
Old 02-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
No one ever reads do they?

PLEASE READ THIS!!!!!

It is not the battery that is bad! It is an emmissions valve that does not shut off that drains the battery. If they do not replace the valve then you will continue to kill your battery whether it is made by Infiniti/Nissan or a red top, yellow top, Braille, does not matter it will drain your battery.

May the force be with you.
The following users liked this post:
yellowzebra (07-10-2023)
Old 02-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree that the emissions valve is a culprit. But you also have to think that the battery from Infiniti is a maintenance battery. Meaning you need to keep it's fluid level up. I know I never looked at it the 2 years I had the car until it was acting up. That's when I discovered the fluid was half down. And if a battery has no fluid the plates inside start to corrode. Also no fluid means less ability to hold power. So there are 2 parts to this equation.

Quick Reply: Dead battery issues