Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Dead battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieseldoug22
I agree that the emissions valve is a culprit. But you also have to think that the battery from Infiniti is a maintenance battery. Meaning you need to keep it's fluid level up. I know I never looked at it the 2 years I had the car until it was acting up. That's when I discovered the fluid was half down. And if a battery has no fluid the plates inside start to corrode. Also no fluid means less ability to hold power. So there are 2 parts to this equation.
You make a good point as well Doug. I think a lot of assumed (incorrectly) that Infiniti would provide a maintenance free battery for cars in the 21st century instead of taking us back to the 70's. I was amazed when I actually took a look at it for the first time that you have to maintain water levels in a battery on a modern car. I'm not happy about that.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
OK touche' Doug but regardless if its a sh!tty battery it should not and would not be dead if the valve was not faulty.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidcane
OK touche' Doug but regardless if its a sh!tty battery it should not and would not be dead if the valve was not faulty.
True dat.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:56 AM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidcane
You are correct and I am not negating the fact that the valve is faulty and should definitely be replaced. I'm just saying that people should also check the battery. They are both weak links in the chain and need to be addressed. It is better to know of everything that needs to be fixed as opposed to the aggravation of having the problem repeat itself again and need to search more.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:13 PM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my battery replaced to even though my battery never died. They told me I had a bad battery and there was a TSB for it.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:53 PM
QuickSilver08

My car gets driven 2-3 days a week and knock on wood no starting problems over the last year.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:18 PM
MnMG37

Hello everyone. I'm also experiencing the same intermittent dead battery issue. I have an 08 G37 coupe that gets driven about 3 days per week. I have a yellow top Optima that I put in it several months ago after the OEM battery died several times and the dealer found no problem as well. Sometimes the car sits for a week then won't start. I have amps and subs etc but the install checked out clean with no faulty equipment. If the emissions valve could be the culprit, would the dealership have a TSB or be aware of this issue?. They point the finger to the aftermarket equipment.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:23 AM
mishmosh

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a powered sub also. I know the dealer will just blame that. Does anyone have the TSB that I could show them? I'm on my 3rd battery and currently use a trickle charger when parked at home.

I found a TSB for a vent control valve (ITB-09-062). It is dated 11/2009 and applies to all Infiniti's that use p/n 14935-AM60B to be replaced by 14935-JF00A. It doesn't say anything about a power draw.

I did an internet search and apparently many nissans have issues with vent control valves but users get codes. Unless there is a TSB for the vent control valve specifically related to a power draw or dead battery, I think this is just an incidental finding and not related to the battery dead issue.

Last edited by mishmosh; 02-14-2010 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Well, you can add me to the dead (or near dead) battery club. As mentioned in another thread, my car was getting quite hard to start so I took it to the dealer today. They gave me a new battery for free, and replaced the emissions valve (what they called the vent control valve) that they said was part of a TSB. I was ready to pay a 25% share of the new battery as per the battery warranty for a 2-½ year old car, but there was no charges at all.

What I don’t understand is that all my personal settings (audio, analog clock, seat memory, etc.) were still intact when I picked up the car. I quickly looked under the hood to make sure they had given me a new battery, and yes they had done so. Shouldn’t I have lost all those settings on a battery removal and replacement?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
Well, you can add me to the dead (or near dead) battery club. As mentioned in another thread, my car was getting quite hard to start so I took it to the dealer today. They gave me a new battery for free, and replaced the emissions valve (what they called the vent control valve) that they said was part of a TSB. I was ready to pay a 25% share of the new battery as per the battery warranty for a 2-½ year old car, but there was no charges at all.

What I don’t understand is that all my personal settings (audio, analog clock, seat memory, etc.) were still intact when I picked up the car. I quickly looked under the hood to make sure they had given me a new battery, and yes they had done so. Shouldn’t I have lost all those settings on a battery removal and replacement?
I think they have a way to save those settings to a computer and load them back after they replace the battery. I'd say most dealers don't do this, because it is an extra step, but if I'm not mistaken, it is possible.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by Blackjack
I think they have a way to save those settings to a computer and load them back after they replace the battery. I'd say most dealers don't do this, because it is an extra step, but if I'm not mistaken, it is possible.
Thanks, that would explain it.

As a side note, I did notice, for the first time, that two service reps did a walk around the car with clip boards looking for dents, etc., before they drove it into the service bay area. I asked them if they’ve had an increase of damage claims lately, and they just smiled.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks, that would explain it.

As a side note, I did notice, for the first time, that two service reps did a walk around the car with clip boards looking for dents, etc., before they drove it into the service bay area. I asked them if they’ve had an increase of damage claims lately, and they just smiled.
That's what I heard at least.

I typically have them walk around the car with me and particular note no damage / curbing to wheels. The first time the service guy asked me why I was being so picky on what he wrote down and I just said that I was picky about my wheels and didn't really trust people with my wheels. After we got into discussions about my wheels in particular and he asked how much I paid for them, he then understood why I was so **** about them.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:55 AM
Frank-PDX

I had mine towed into the dealer this morning. I was on an extended trip and had my friend starting my car. He drove it around new years and then came back two weeks later and the car was dead. I just returned and had it taken to the dealer. Turns out my car is one week past the "in-service" date of 12 months. If they try and charge me for a new battery I'm going to have to get unpleasant at the dealership.

I have had the car for 11 months and it had 5000 miles on it.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by Frank-PDX
I have had the car for 11 months and it had 5000 miles on it.
Your battery warranty clearly states you get free replacement if the car is under 24 months old, except for damage from accidents, modifications, flood, etc. After that it's pro-rated. (I had looked it up for my case.) So you should have no problems. The only thing they can get you on is if you added some device to your electrical system that excessively drains the battery.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:19 PM
pulsar

memory settings after battery removal

Does anyone know for sure if we loose car memory settings when the battery is disconnected? I need to remove my battery to gain access to fuse/relay panel next to the battery but am not real keen on resetting everything unless I have no other choice.

Quick Reply: Dead battery issues