Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Dead battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pulsar
Does anyone know for sure if we loose car memory settings when the battery is disconnected? I need to remove my battery to gain access to fuse/relay panel next to the battery but am not real keen on resetting everything unless I have no other choice.
The only thing you will lose is the radio presets. Not any of the nav settings or phone settings. Just the radio presets.
The following users liked this post:
Jamsey Aimsey (02-06-2014)
Old 01-25-2011, 10:48 AM
leshined

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g37 dead battery problems.

Originally Posted by rcktman
I purchased my G37 in October 2007. Traded in a 2003 Corvette. Loved the performance of the Vette but unfortunately it is manufactured and serviced by GMC! Have not looked back since purchasing the G37. In July I started having a problem with the battery. I returned from a 9 day business trip and when I attempted to start the car the battery was DEAD. Charged the battery and took it to my dealer. Could not find an out of spec draw on my battery. Ended up replacing the battery. Drove the car for two weeks and went on a five day business trip. Returned to find the new battery DEAD. Dealer kept my car for a week (gave me a loaner) and could find nothing wrong with my car. No excessive draw and the charging system is operating correctly. They even spoke to the folks at Infinity and neither one could determine the problem. Any thoughts? I have a G37 Journey with premium package and navigation.
I have the same problem, 3 times in 6 months. Having the local service manager contact infiniti engineering. By the way, Infiniti has a technical bulletin out on the issue, but haven't heard any more about it.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Tuckermaclain
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Had the same thing happen on my '10 G37x. Went away for a week and the battery was too weak to start. I have a remote start and a sub amp installed. Was suprised to find so many have the problem.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Same issue here. I've already changed to the new type evap valves and flashed to the newest ECU rom. However, I am still having a 160ma drain when the car is off and in power saving mode. Even though I have many aftermarket electronic components installed, I've traced the issue back down to the BCM.

When infiniti first discovered the drain problem, they issued ITB 10-010, which required the replacement of the BCM, in addition to the evap valve and ECU update. However, sometime in 2010, they revised to ITB 10-010B, which eliminated the replacement of the BCMs. However, I think there is still an issue with BCM.

I'm planning to have my BCM replaced soon and will report whether the issue is fixed.
The following users liked this post:
yellowzebra (07-10-2023)
Old 02-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Lije Baley
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
My '08 G's battery started dying within months of my purchasing the car. If the car was left for three or four days, the battery was dead. Last year, my dealer followed the ITB 10-010, including replacement of the BCM and installation of a larger battery.

The fix worked wonderfully! Last month, after four weeks of inactivity, the car started with no problems. Big improvement.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Sytrash

Same here. My dealer just did a TSB on mine because they checked the battery and it was at abnormally low level for a car that I drive daily. It involved the aforementioned fixes and a computer reprogramming that makes the battery start charging after 10miles instead of 20miles. That's what I was told.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 PM
ptaban

Arrow Summary of all 'battery drain' posts. READ THIS FIRST!

OK. So I've read everything everyone had to say on this thread, and decided to summarize it for everyone so you won't have to re-read everything prior to THIS post:

1 - The batter drain issue is (was?) wide-spread.

2 - Infiniti issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin #ITB 10-010) that required for "BCM" and "evaporator valve" fixes, and a change to larger battery AND an updated ROM flash.

3 - Most people found that this TSB solved their problem.

4 - Infiniti updated the TSB to remove the requirement to fix/replace the "BCM".

5 - The purpose of the ROM flash is to fix an issue in code that would not kick in the alternator unless you drove more than 14 miles per day.

6 - Some folks (like me) are still experiencing problems with draining batteries despite having taken care of the TSB.

7 - I just got off the phone with infiniti and explained the whole story and he said that they did everything in the TSB, but to bring the vehicle back to make sure they did the ROM Flash properly because their records don't show any notes about this.

8 - One dude on this forum had the problem traced to a faulty trunk latch which was keeping the light in the trunk on from time to time. I think that's a rare case.

BOTTOM LINE - If you have NOT taken your vehicle in for the TSB, DO IT. More importantly MAKE SURE YOUR DEALER IS NOT AN *** AND IS NOT SKIPPING ANY OF THE STEPS IN THE TSB! I think most are just fixing the valve and not upgrading the battery or not flashing the ROM.

If you are STILL having problems. I share your pain. Please share your story in this thread.

THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE FOUND SOLUTIONS, PLEASE COME BACK AND UPDATE YOUR POSTS SO WE POOR SOULS CAN HAVE SOME RELIEF AS WELL!

Thank you
Old 01-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Loki123
Registered Member

Great post. Because of this post I took my 2008 G37s coupe to the dealership and told them about my battery drain issues and that I work from home and really don't over the 10-15 kms on a regular basis in order to get a good charge and mentioned the TSB's for updated VCV and software and they told me right away I had the old style evap. canister vent control valve (thin and tubular in shape) and they replaced it with a thicker, chunkier version and they replaced my battery with a brand new one and reprogrammed the engine control module. I thought I'd have to do a little cost-sharing with the dealership on the battery since it's 3.5 years old - but the warranty covered it as well as everything else 100%. My newly installed battery below has two ratings labels 675(CCA) and 850(CA).
Old 01-25-2012, 06:50 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Just had a dead battery. Early build 08.
Was changed 2 yrs ago,was told by infiniti I would have to pay 75%.
I figured ok, dealership just gave me a battery for free.
No complaint on that.
My car is not being used in winter,so I guess a trip to the dealership is in order.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:06 PM
cmd photography

I have a 08 g37 coupe and have experienced many problems with the battery also. Besides the value replacement, battery upgrade, and ecm flash. I have got the radio faceplate module replaced(sit behind the clock), i believe part is SW ASSY-PRESET - 25391-JK64B.

After getting those things replaced, battery has died 3 times after that. On the 1st time, they couldnt find anything wrong. 2nd time they believe it was from leaving the Ipod connected after turning the car off. so I disconnected ipod every time car shut off for one week before shuting car off and then i completely disconnected it. 3 weeks later, battery dies again. I jumped started the car to take car in for the 3rd time and when i shut car off at the dealership, they had to jumpstart the car again.

So i finally called infiniti corp to complain and just got a partial answer back and they said that I have to follow the dealership's recommendation on solving the problem which is not leaving the ipod connected. I did that already and battery died on me. THe car is driven everyday so not driving the car everyday cant be the problem.

I dont see why you would have to unplug your ipod everytime before u turn the car off. I think that is pretty ridiculous because i bet the majority of people do not think about unplugging their ipod before they turn off the car. That would be such an inconvenience and stupid design on infiniti's part if that was the case. I truely dont think its the ipod and im pretty sure my battery will die again very soon.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
As I and others told you in your other thread, the iPod in not your problem. Sounds like a scapegoat by the service department who can't find the real issue. Whenever you have the issue again, just tell them you aren't using the iPod anymore at all, they can't tell.

It is odd that your problem persists after the TSB and battery upgrade. The only thing that comes to mind is possibly a bad alternator maybe. Have they tested it?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:14 PM
cmd photography

yea i kno i figured i put it in here anyway. yea they said they done diagnostics and test draws but what aggravates me the most is Infiniti customer affairs is that they tell me that they and I have to go by what the dealership recommended which i did and the same problem occurred again.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:50 PM
anandas

Valve Issue.

Hey guys,

I was reading about the valve issues in this thread before taking my G37 to the dealer. Ends up that was the problem. Hopefully will be able to take short drives for a couple of weeks without having any issues.

-- 2008 Infiniti G37s Coupe all stock --
Old 12-11-2014, 01:58 AM
spinn
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for the resurrection of this thread, but I just bought a 2008 G37s and looking at all the service records, the previous owner had to replace the battery 4 times over the years; on the 2nd try they did replace the battery, vent valve, and flashed the ECM, but the problem of a bad battery still occurred. I'm concerned that it might happen to me soon, so I was wondering if it's possible if a bad bearing in the alternator could cause it not to charge properly. Other than someone else bringing up alternator issues, I've noticed that the car kinda whines (almost like a supercharger) and I've read elsewhere that the noise could be due to a bad tensioner pulley, alternator bearing, and etc. Anyone still having issues?
Old 12-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Well I also have an ’08. My dealer replaced the original battery in 2010, but the second battery, now over four years old, is still OK. Of course, I often go days without using the car, so I’ve found that putting the battery on my charger every now and then is helpful.

Quick Reply: Dead battery issues