Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Minimal audio install

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 02:34 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ]\[ /-\ ]\/[
cool...i love the 4080 enclosure...thought bout moving my amp under the mat too when i did my install....but will we have heat issues?
maybe. i hope not. have you ever opened your trunk after running your system hard? mine's usually crazy hot just due to operating temps, so i can't imagine it would be that much worse.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by finagle69
maybe. i hope not. have you ever opened your trunk after running your system hard? mine's usually crazy hot just due to operating temps, so i can't imagine it would be that much worse.
Run a couple of computer fans blowing across your amp(s) in a push/pull configuration. You can run the power to them from your amp turn on lead so they only blow when the amp is on. Someone makes a setup that is temperature controlled so that the fan only comes on when the amp reaches a certain temperature that you can set. I think it's Stinger? Perhaps two 80 mm case fans side by side blowing onto one end and pulling the heat away from the other end. I'm considering doing this whenever I get around to my audi install - probaly late 2010 at the rate I'm going!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:53 PM
finagle69

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Run a couple of computer fans blowing across your amp(s) in a push/pull configuration. You can run the power to them from your amp turn on lead so they only blow when the amp is on. Someone makes a setup that is temperature controlled so that the fan only comes on when the amp reaches a certain temperature that you can set. I think it's Stinger? Perhaps two 80 mm case fans side by side blowing onto one end and pulling the heat away from the other end. I'm considering doing this whenever I get around to my audi install - probaly late 2010 at the rate I'm going!
That's a good idea, and one that I was toying with, but at the end of the day, I can't see that helping too much. The air has no place to go as it will still be under the carpet. The only thing it would help is to not have the air stratifying.

I'll just have to give it a shot and see what happens. I have a spare sub-box that I can use for testing purposes, so maybe I'll install it tonight just to see.

What sucks is that it may work perfectly for about 6 months, then when summer kicks in, it may pose a problem.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:17 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maxipad96
What are your main issues? I think the license plate is a give that it will rattle like crazy. Especially how it hangs half on/off.
Just put some adhesive weather resistance foam pads on the back of the license plate's rear top half.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:04 PM
finagle69

updated pics in new thread.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-video-and-electronics/187002-minimal-audio-install-redux.html
Old 04-15-2010, 01:19 PM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey guys im doing audio install today myself. 1 JL 500/1v2 & 1 JL 10w6. I have run the power wire and dynomated the trunk. I still have to wire the amp and Bass ****. I cannot get the rear seat off. Can anyone help? I have taken the 2 screws by the seatbelts off already but there seems to be something under the cushion holding it down.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Bump for rear seat removal help.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:26 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
You should dynamat the package shelf too as well as your front doors. It will make a workd of difference.

+1 I even did the headliner

Add some padding in the upper flip down console where your sunglasses go. They bump and rattle like crazy
Old 03-03-2014, 02:36 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by finagle69
That's a good idea, and one that I was toying with, but at the end of the day, I can't see that helping too much. The air has no place to go as it will still be under the carpet. The only thing it would help is to not have the air stratifying.

I'll just have to give it a shot and see what happens. I have a spare sub-box that I can use for testing purposes, so maybe I'll install it tonight just to see.

What sucks is that it may work perfectly for about 6 months, then when summer kicks in, it may pose a problem.

I have three Rockford Fosgate amps mounted on both sides of the spare and have been running them for two years now without problems. Granted the summers here in the bay area aren't that tropical though so YMMV
Old 03-03-2014, 02:51 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by aznutx
do you have any pictures of the install with the powercable from batt>trunk that's all im interested in, i been working on a custom box in the span of these last three months haha i dont get alot of time off

I'm pretty sure there's a good detailed writeup on the 12V feed wire install on the G35 driver site. A quick search turned up this one at nicoclub

Sub install for 2009 G37 sedan : G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio

Once you pass the wire through the grommet in on the firewall, the pathway alongside the seats is pretty self evident once you pry up the carpet a bit. Plenty of room for two 1/0 wires if you want