Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Voice Recognition for Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:33 PM
SilkeG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They should at least allow for an advanced mode for those who have no problems with the additional voice commands.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:45 AM
Jee III VII

Some new manuals are out for the lame voice system.
It is for VINxxxxxxxxxxx106577 and later.
The PDF's may be downloaded at http://www.infiniti.com/pdf/techpubs...-06IT-Navi.pdf
Old 12-09-2007, 08:55 AM
cye2k

Infiniti has seriously reduced the scope of voice commands. The dealer said it was because users said it was too complicated, but I suspect it's a liability issue (i.e., too much attention to the toys and not the road).

Old 12-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Anecdoter

Originally Posted by cye2k
Infiniti has seriously reduced the scope of voice commands. The dealer said it was because users said it was too complicated, but I suspect it's a liability issue (i.e., too much attention to the toys and not the road).
Which is the opposite approach that nearly all other manufacturer's are taking. Even the new Ford Focus lets you play songs for a specific artist using only voice commands. Even those of us G37 owners that are fortunate to have the original set of voice commands should be concerned about this. All it takes is one software update to permanently replace the old commands with the new ones. It really sucks that Infiniti has forced us to into deciding between the latest map data and a full set of voice commands.

Depending on how the navigation software is programmed, it may be possible to modify the voice command list without updating the map data. Consequently, it may be possible for service techs to perform the update while you're in for regular maintenance or repair. Even if you tell the service manager not to do any updates, all it would take is one oversight to toss your old voice commands.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:16 PM
xdram

Has there been any updates to this issue? are they sticking to this stupid idea of removing voice commands? At the very least they should hide them but allow dealerships to activate them for people willing to try it. Bluetooth doesn't fully work with many phones so does that mean they'll take out bluetooth support also?! This doesn't make any sense. There's another reason they telling us.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:27 PM
08G37S

Originally Posted by bboysteele
I am really wanting these voice commands:

Navigation Specific POI names
Phone Numbers spoken as groupings (i.e. 17 stated as “seventeen")
Audio Direct satellite radio stations
Direct tuning frequencies
Direct CD track numbers

The other stuff is cool but I could really use these to make things easier. Selecting a preset is easy and changing the climate control temp is a breeze but these other commands would be helpful.
I think some of those do exist.

If you say "TUNE 94.5", it replies back 94.5 FM and goes to it. There is one for the XM radio too I think. I belive its "XM 20", and it goes to the Top 20 station.
If you say "PLAY IPOD". the Ipod comes on. "IPOD OFF" - and it goes off.
I recall one for CDs, but I don't use CDs - so I'm not sure on that.

The number groupings would be sweet. I know you can say "eight hundred" or "eight oh oh" and it registers "1-800".

As for the POI, I think it works if you have saved a destination. Like, "DESTINATION HOME" or "DESTINATION WORK", ect.

EDITED TO ADD:

I went out to the G37 and double checked some of the commands.

If you say SATELLITE 82, SATELLITE RADIO 82, or XM 82 it tunes into that station.
The TUNE 94.5 is just that - and replies 94.5 FM.

I even tried the grouping and that too worked! I said my cell phone number in groupings, for example, 81-74-75-XX-XX, and it dialed my number. Ofcourse, it went straight to voicemail since the car bluetooth was connected to my phone. But I was amazed that worked!!! I would say that works because since you can say any double/triple digit number with the XM/SAT command and it tunes to that station.

If you say, DESTINATION (voicetag) to a destination saved in your list - it starts to take you there.

I'm sure there are more 'surprises' and will play with them more tomorrow. I will also dig up a CD and test CD commands.

Last edited by 08G37S; 12-09-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:49 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I looked at a link that someone else posted on the voice commands that are available for the new and old systems. I saw a command for "tire pressure." Has anyone tried this command? The last I knew you couldn't tell the tire pressure in on the car and it would only warn you when it was low. Has anyone tried this command yet. There is 6inches of snow where I am and it is to cold for me to go out and try this command.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:58 PM
08G37S

I looked at a link that someone else posted on the voice commands that are available for the new and old systems. I saw a command for "tire pressure." Has anyone tried this command? The last I knew you couldn't tell the tire pressure in on the car and it would only warn you when it was low. Has anyone tried this command yet. There is 6inches of snow where I am and it is to cold for me to go out and try this command.
I haven't tried TIRE PRESSURE, but I know FUEL ECONOMY pulls up the fuel stats screen. I will try the TP command tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:00 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 08G37S
I haven't tried TIRE PRESSURE, but I know FUEL ECONOMY pulls up the fuel stats screen. I will try the TP command tomorrow.
Ya, I have used the FUEL ECONOMY command but this list had that plus FUEL ECONOMY as well. The last I knew the car couldn't tell you the tire pressure on the car but it would tell you when it was low so I am sorta interested in what this command does IF it does work.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:03 PM
08G37S

Ya, I have used the FUEL ECONOMY command but this list had that plus FUEL ECONOMY as well. The last I knew the car couldn't tell you the tire pressure on the car but it would tell you when it was low so I am sorta interested in what this command does IF it does work.
I have found a CD....and I now curious at the TP command. Going back out....
Old 12-09-2007, 10:13 PM
08G37S

CD PLAY, PLAY CD, TRACK # - all work. It even has commands for if you have a compressed CD-R with directory folders. You can say folder names and then track number - and it will pull that off.

TIRE PRESSURE didn't work - damn!
Old 12-09-2007, 10:36 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 08G37S
CD PLAY, PLAY CD, TRACK # - all work. It even has commands for if you have a compressed CD-R with directory folders. You can say folder names and then track number - and it will pull that off.

TIRE PRESSURE didn't work - damn!
hmm. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:06 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
UPDATE:

I got a call from Casey at Infiniti's Executive Offices. We played phone tag. She called me on the 11th, I called her back and got her voicemail. She called me back on the 12th, I called her back and got her voicemail. I then left her some additional contact information. I since have made 6 additional attempts at contact and Casey nor anyone at Infiniti has yet to return any of my messages. This is extremely disappointing. I thought Infiniti was better than this. Apparently not.
I have bought 4 Nissan/Infiniti vehicles and this is the kind of customer care that you get? At this point I am considering filing a complaint with the Attorney Generals Office and /or pursuing this to a further degree if necessary.

It is the principle of the matter. I bought this car on the premise that it would have a full range of voice commands and now I feel ripped off. I feel I am getting the shaft even further when no one at Infiniti cares enough about the consumer to even attempt to address the issue. They are hoping that we will all just go away. I have submitted a complaint to consumeraffairs.com. I am also checking further on legal remedies as it seems now that Infiniti is only attempting to stall on this issue.

At this point I would recommend taking delivery on your vehicles until you go through every option that was advertised to you. This was a really shady moe on Infiniti's behalf- removing options mid-production geez that is just second rate service.

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 12-14-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:42 PM
dvrming

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
UPDATE:

I got a call from Casey at Infiniti's Executive Offices. We played phone tag. She called me on the 11th, I called her back and got her voicemail. She called me back on the 12th, I called her back and got her voicemail. I then left her some additional contact information. I since have made 6 additional attempts at contact and Casey nor anyone at Infiniti has yet to return any of my messages. This is extremely disappointing. I thought Infiniti was better than this. Apparently not.
I have bought 4 Nissan/Infiniti vehicles and this is the kind of customer care that you get? At this point I am considering filing a complaint with the Attorney Generals Office and /or pursuing this to a further degree if necessary.

It is the principle of the matter. I bought this car on the premise that it would have a full range of voice commands and now I feel ripped off. I feel I am getting the shaft even further when no one at Infiniti cares enough about the consumer to even attempt to address the issue. They are hoping that we will all just go away. I have submitted a complaint to consumeraffairs.com. I am also checking further on legal remedies as it seems now that Infiniti is only attempting to stall on this issue.

At this point I would recommend taking delivery on your vehicles until you go through every option that was advertised to you. This was a really shady moe on Infiniti's behalf- removing options mid-production geez that is just second rate service.
Hey, guys, there is hope!

For those of you who remember what happened with the 1st generation G's brake problems, persistence does pay. The brakes were wearing out at less than 20,000 miles. The usual "depends on how aggressively you drive" from Infiniti followed. However, Infiniti eventually fixed the problem by giving a 30,000 mile warranty to the brakes. I was a beneficiary of that.

Think about how much it costs Infiniti to fix those brakes vs updating the Voice Recognition software! So either a class action or enough complaint by everyone should solve this problem. But the arbitrary way this was handled reflected very poor judgement on Infiniti's part.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:43 PM
dvrming

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
UPDATE:

Oh, what is Casey's phone number and the email address? That would be a great start. We should post this on the G35 forum too!

Quick Reply: Voice Recognition for Climate Control