Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Voice Recognition for Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 05:38 PM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I agree that it would probably be much easier to just use the *****, but in all honesty, it would **** me off too if other people had functions on their car that I didn't, and we all paid the same thing. In principle, I'd feel ripped off, regardless of whether I would use those functions or not.

And I call BS on keeping it simple... the car is complicated as it is... deleting a few functions would not simplify its operation at all.

And it was stupid of them to delete the move steering on exit... or the lowering of the mirrors on reverse (if indeed it was there on the pre-production car)... those are some features which everyone would use... or at least give me the opportunity to either use them or turn them off!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:48 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent72
When did these changes go into effect and what other voice commands were deleted?
I am unsure. In fact the phone rep at consumer affairs had not even heard of this issue until he checked with the tech department and they then informed him of the issue. I could tell that he understood why I would be frustrated. He said that he wasn't sure when it went into effect.

My car was built in mid/late September so I guess around that time is when the changes started...
Old 10-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Brent72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, that means the one I'm taking delivery of next week will almost surely have those changes in place.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:48 PM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why dont we get some people to see when their car was made and whether the function works? I'd contribute right about now, but I'm a little faded and really dont feel like going down to the car...
Old 10-14-2007, 12:41 PM
tomcatm

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I am pretty sure Infiniti has a fine print somewhere that says all features are subject to change at their discretion, I doubt complaining to them will do any good other than maybe let them know how you feel.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:47 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by tomcatm
I am pretty sure Infiniti has a fine print somewhere that says all features are subject to change at their discretion, I doubt complaining to them will do any good other than maybe let them know how you feel.
Best beleive that me and my lawyers will be looking everywhere for that fine print.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:17 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
class action?
Old 10-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Jee III VII

Does anyone have a definitive list of all the items that have been decommissioned.
I called the sales manager at the dealership where I ordered my G37 and he is checking to see what he can find. He said it could take 5 hours or 5 days.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:38 PM
carman63

Inside the G37 Owner's Manual, page 2:

"This manual includes information for all options available on this model. Therefore, you may find some information that does not apply to your vehicle.

All information, specifications and illustrations in this manual are those in effect at the time of printing. INFINITI reserves the right to change specifications or design at any time without notice."
Old 10-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Jee III VII

Inside the G37 Owner's Manual, page 2:
This manual includes information for all options available on this model. Therefore, you may find some information that does not apply to your vehicle.
All information, specifications and illustrations in this manual are those in effect at the time of printing. INFINITI reserves the right to change specifications or design at any time without notice

Obviously, this protects Infiniti from lawsuits, however, anything advertized that is missing is fair game for negotiations.

Last edited by Jee III VII; 10-16-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:27 PM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is VIN 603, I think built in July and it has all the Climate Control voice commands. No steering wheel movement though. Mine has the auto on/off headlights as well. Just FYI. I want the steering wheel movement, I have already scuffed the wheel ( luckily fixable with moisturizer ) getting out. I have setting 2 set for seat all the way back, and wheel all the way up. It will do for the moment.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:36 PM
DJG35

Hi all. Just visiting from the G35Driver site. I've been trying to get a similar string going over there. My 08 Sedan also has a shorter list of voice commands as compared to other 08 Sedans.

My dealer didn't know anything about this (he's "investigating"), but on the Infiniti website I found a pdf called: "2008 Infiniti Voice Recognition Owner's Manual Supplement." It starts off by saying: "The information contained in this owner’s manual supplement replaces all information related to the Voice Recognition System contained in the vehicle’s owner’s manual and the navigation system owner’s manual."

It applies to the Sedan and Coupe, and it's got the much shorter list of available voice commands......

Anyone have any more info on this? Seems like a software update is in order. They can't really expect to advertise the system as controlling the climate control and other systems when all it does is turn them on and off.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:43 PM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's probably why they left On and Off, so they can still say the climate control is voice controlled.
Very weasel-like of them.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Brent72

Has anyone checked to see if many of the audio functions have been disabled on newer models as well?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:47 PM
DJG35

Yes, I've checked. The system in my car and the Supplement on the Infiniti website (mentioned above) both do not have the more advanced voice controls for audio. For example, I can switch from FM to XM using voice, but can't tune to specific XM channels.

Quick Reply: Voice Recognition for Climate Control