Wheel balancing weights, tire rotation and indexing

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 08:48 PM
empirepb48

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Wheel balancing weights, tire rotation and indexing

I should have asked this question before I rotated them but it's done. There have been wheel weights on my wheels for balancing since I bought the car from the dealership. Here's my question.

Is there typically a standard angle for the weights in reference to the indexing male thread from the wheel hub? It's hard to believe they would balance out the same front to back after a rotation (AWD). I just wire brushed the mating surfaces and tossed them back on all ***** nilly without thinking about their location at the time. I got up to around 70 and can't tell if there is any more or less vibration in the wheel but I believe it sounds different so my perfectionist side planted the seed of doubt. Thanks guys
Old 05-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Roadrash666
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by empirepb48
I should have asked this question before I rotated them but it's done. There have been wheel weights on my wheels for balancing since I bought the car from the dealership. Here's my question.

Is there typically a standard angle for the weights in reference to the indexing male thread from the wheel hub? It's hard to believe they would balance out the same front to back after a rotation (AWD). I just wire brushed the mating surfaces and tossed them back on all ***** nilly without thinking about their location at the time. I got up to around 70 and can't tell if there is any more or less vibration in the wheel but I believe it sounds different so my perfectionist side planted the seed of doubt. Thanks guys
What, are you an engineer or something? Wheel balance has absolutely nothing to do with their location on the vehicle, unless they were balanced on the vehicle. Chances are pretty good they were spin balanced independently from the vehicle, so you can relax. However your wheels should be rebalanced every rotation to compensate for the loss of rubber as your tires wear.
The following users liked this post:
empirepb48 (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 09:47 PM
empirepb48

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadrash666
What, are you an engineer or something? Wheel balance has absolutely nothing to do with their location on the vehicle, unless they were balanced on the vehicle. Chances are pretty good they were spin balanced independently from the vehicle, so you can relax. However your wheels should be rebalanced every rotation to compensate for the loss of rubber as your tires wear.
Lots of SolidWorks and CAM time would lead one to believe that but no not an engineer in today's definition. Working on my own car is still something I'm learning but common sense goes a long way and often leads to over thinking things. Thanks for clarifying that, I didn't realize the balancing was actually done off the vehicle. I assumed it was attached to the car during that.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:02 PM
Roadrash666
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by empirepb48
Lots of SolidWorks and CAM time would lead one to believe that but no not an engineer in today's definition. Working on my own car is still something I'm learning but common sense goes a long way and often leads to over thinking things. Thanks for clarifying that, I didn't realize the balancing was actually done off the vehicle. I assumed it was attached to the car during that.
Good answer, the overthinking is what led me to believe you were an engineer. LOL
I'm glad you didn't take my comment personally, good luck with your car!

Last edited by Roadrash666; 05-12-2015 at 11:08 PM.