Wheels & Tires Reviews on wheels & tires for G vehicles.

Review 19 inch Vossen CV3

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:58 PM
usrsld

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
19 inch Vossen CV3

I’ve been wanting new wheels for a long time and finally bought a set of 19 inch Vossen CV3 in matte graphite. There are a lot of Vossen CV3 owners on this forum, but most have 20 inch wheels. As I did not want to run lower profile tires than the OEM Sport setup, I decided on 19 inch CV3’s and felt others might benefit from a review and some tips. Let me start by saying “thank you” to Charles at B2 Auto Design for a great price on the wheels and to Diego Alvarez with Vossen for his help in securing the Black Friday rebate.

The specs are as follows… Front: 19 x 8.5 (32) with 245/40 & Rear: 19 x 10 (38) with 275/35 (I’ll move to 285 rear tires when these wear out.)

First, let me say I love the style of these wheels, especially for the G37. The clean lines of the G are enhanced by a simple, classic wheel. I researched a LOT of wheels over the past year or more before making this purchase and believe the CV3 is one of, if not the best five spoke design. With the spokes running all the way to the edge of the wheel, the CV3 appears larger than most 19 inch wheels.

Anyone considering a 19 inch Vossen wheel should be aware there are mounting issues with some Vossen models that evidently aren’t a problem with the 20 inch versions. On the models with a valve stem opening at the rear of the barrel, the Infiniti TPMS sensor stem will NOT clear the sport model Akebono calipers in the front (the smaller rear calipers are not a problem). Even a standard rubber stem combined with 15mm spacers barely cleared by maybe 1/8 inch.

This valve stem obstacle caused much frustration during the tire mounting process. After discovering the issue, the tire shop ordered really short rubber valve stems (I believe they’re used on lawn tractors) and I found some “universal” TPMS straps that allowed mounting the sensors to the wheel. The stems now clear the calipers by a half inch and I had to use some ingenuity along with Gorilla tape and strips of an old rubber tire tube to get a secure fit for the strap/sensor combo. Note: Do NOT just strap them to the barrel or the straps will slide off – I learned this the hard way - put the strap in the channel with the tape for grip.

Other random thoughts…

The rear wheels are flush, but the fronts are slightly tucked. I’m gonna install black 10mm H&R spacers on the front and the stance should be perfect for my taste. (Although I may need 5mm in the rear.) I will also likely get coilovers installed. I’m currently on Tanabe springs in the front and the stock sport springs in the back sitting at approximately 27 inches fender-to-ground F&R, but would like to go half an inch lower all around.

The matte graphite wheels are darker than I expected based on internet photos (even the ones I’ve since taken). I was presuming a near match to the Graphite Shadow (KAD) paint on my coupe but the matte graphite is a couple of shades darker. Not a big deal and I’ve adjusted. The graphite paint is also a dust magnet; luckily it doesn’t show too much unless you look closely.

The paint on the wheels is soft and mine already have a couple small scratches from the shop removing the weights to rebalance the tires after solving the TPMS fitment and from the wheel mounting machine. I contacted Vossen via phone and they do not carry touch up paint. This is something I feel the company should rectify and make available to all matte graphite owners.

Along that line, I HATED the silver balancing weights on the graphite wheel, so I got some wheel weights from the shop and painted them gray with engine enamel. The shop then used these weights during the second (and third) mount & balance session. It’s not a perfect match but close enough and looks much better.

Be prepared for a whole lotta open space with these wheels. Photos don’t do justice to the visibility of your calibers and rotors with the CV3. (See photo above.) Don’t get me wrong, it’s a very cool facet of the CV3, but be ready to paint your rotor hats or replace them with a quality zinc coated rotor to prevent the rust. I’m looking at upgrading to a set of Adam’s Rotors with a slotted and/or drilled pattern in black zinc since the rotors are now showcased. Another benefit of the 19 inch over the 20 is that the rotors actually fill the wheel and look bigger. I also will be adding coilovers soon.

Even with the mounting challenges, I’m happy with this purchase. The graphite wheels look great with my 180 Custom headlights and I’m getting the more aggressive, monochromatic look I was trying to achieve.
The following 5 users liked this post by usrsld:
b2autodesigns (02-28-2014), dawg (08-20-2014), ncpalafox (03-25-2014), PanzMan (03-18-2015), TooKool (07-16-2016)
Old 02-27-2014, 08:17 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Nice review.. One of the few coupes that doesn't rock 20's. I think the color scheme looks good. I have a Graphite Shadow sedan and was thinking of going with a little contrast, probably brushed silver.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:20 AM
ncpalafox
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
valuable review, thanks for your write up!
Old 03-25-2014, 08:48 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
That is a nice review. I think Vossen will supply the TPMS adapters w/ the 19s now, at least that was the case w/ Johns (Rochester) newest 19" Vossens.
The following users liked this post:
TooKool (07-16-2016)
Old 08-20-2014, 03:34 PM
dawg
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice review man! I have the same wheel spec as you and I'm about to upgrade my brakes to Akebono. Looks like I'll have the tpms valve stem issue too
Old 07-16-2016, 03:55 AM
TooKool
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
@blnewt is there anyway to revive these pics? I would really like to see this setup. Its hard to find pics of aftermarket 19inch wheels on a G37 S coupe that is NOT lowered. I'm especially interested in seeing these specific Vossen's on a non-lowered G coupe.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:23 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Afraid they're gone for good
And the member that posted them hasn't been around since February.
Might have time later tonight to look around.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:07 AM
TooKool
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Afraid they're gone for good
And the member that posted them hasn't been around since February.
Might have time later tonight to look around.
Thanks @blnewt! Let me know if you ever get around to it. Not a big deal if you don't. I'm sure that you are aware that the 19 inch wheel thread doesn't provide a lot of examples.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/19/2765...ic-thread.html

And I don't think it has any pics containing stock suspension G37 sport coupes.