Tires in TX: All Season Vs Summer

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 06:06 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Coprolite
Has anyone here used one of the best all seasons and the summer tires in the past? Given that I may travel as far north as Kansas by car, all seasons might not be a bad idea in the long run.

Avoiding the feeling of driving on bricks would also help...
I had Toyo Proxes 4 on my 350Z and liked them in summer and winter...I once drove on I-84 from Boise to Portland in the snow the whole trip and never had a problem. Drove it several other times in the snow as well...even drove a good portion up Mt Hood on snow with no issues until I got to snow that was just too deep for the car.
They worked well in the rain in Oregon as well...had plenty of opportunity to drive in the rain there.
Also had good dry traction, but that started to fade around 18,000 - 20,000 miles.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:45 AM
Way2flyy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently In the market for some good all seasons, any suggestions,
Old 05-02-2012, 11:29 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Way2flyy
Currently In the market for some good all seasons, any suggestions,
I'm in the same boat, stock 17's. Just rotated, now the bald-ish tires are on the front, time to file down those rears to match!

I'll likely get the new Yokohama YK580's, 2nd choice is the General G-MAX AS-03, but my top favorite would be the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, but they are pricy.

Other great considerations are the Continental ExtremeContact DWS, and the Yokohama AVID ENVigor.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:04 PM
clownshoes

Originally Posted by GTLAW
Michelin Pilot Super Sport is what I'm goIng with!
Just got my Michelin Pilot Super Sports last week and they make a difference, love them! Thx for everyone on the thread for the recommendation!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Can you describe the difference? Is it only in spirited or sport driving or even in day to day driving? Is it just the awesome holding power in cornering? A curious tire buyer would love to know!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 PM
lathan721

my 2 cents...living in SC as it it hot also...all season just because you never know. It will rain like heck and sometimes even snow. Ive seen cars with summer tires be downright dangerous in the wrong conditions.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:27 PM
wanta6mt

those of you who have put all seasons on Sport coupes, how is the stability on curves in rain, within the speed limit? e.g. interstates curves, on/off ramps
Old 06-29-2012, 12:43 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by wanta6mt
those of you who have put all seasons on Sport coupes, how is the stability on curves in rain, within the speed limit? e.g. interstates curves, on/off ramps
My Michelin Pilot Spot AS plus grip extremely well in all of those conditions. Steering feel is also good. I haven't had any issues. I also went a size wider front and back. They fit flush with the wheels. But with my setup I don't feel I have lost cornering ability or grip vs the stockers.

The great thing is that in the fall and winter, they grip MUCH better than the stock summer tires. That comes in handy when the engine is producing more power from the colder temps.

The pilot sport AS plus has 3 rubber compounds. It has a summer rib, an all season rib and a wet traction rib. The summer compound i son the sides, the all season in the middle and wet in the center.

This tire performs more like a summer tire than an all season. I would not drive with this tire in deep snow. In emergency situations however it will get you home and below 45 degrees, you wont get squirly when you get on it.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:30 PM
blawyer

Originally Posted by lathan721
my 2 cents...living in SC as it it hot also...all season just because you never know. It will rain like heck and sometimes even snow. Ive seen cars with summer tires be downright dangerous in the wrong conditions.
second person on this thread that said something implying summer tires are not good in rain. From what I understand summer tires are the best for rain and dry conditions. Their performance is only hindered by temperature dropping below 40 and the soft rubber basically turning to hard plastic. Which to another posters point is the trade off for all season is your getting a harder rubber compound to drive on 10 months of the year here in tx for the 2 months that the temperature actually is below 40.