Tires in TX: All Season Vs Summer

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 11:30 AM
clownshoes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires in TX: All Season Vs Summer

I'm in TX , should I even bother with all-season? It does rain now and then, and we have the one-week of cold weather, but thats it. Anybody here run max performance summer tires all year round?

Last time I bought any type of sport tires was 1988..and they were raised white letters for my Z28, so I'm ignorant on this issue.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:42 AM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Definitly go with a summer tire. Check out the Hankook Ventus V12. Great tire and affordable
Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Summer tires generally will have a softer compound, will provide better traction for spirited driving but will not last as long. All-season tires will be made with a harder compound, will last longer but will have less traction for spirited driving.

On average, you can expect summer tires to last between 12K to 35K miles. All-seasons will last longer ranging from 30K to 80K miles. Again, all depending on what brand and model of tires use.

With that said, both types of tires should handle wet conditions relatively well, depending on the brand and model of tire you use. Also there are more "performance" oriented all-season tires that have better dry and wet traction, with snow traction being more or less a byproduct of the "all-season" name.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
^^^ What he said.

In San Antonino you can run summer tires year round. They have much better performance, but generally are generally higher priced (for good ones) and have worse treadwear than all seasons. How long the tread lasts depends on a ton of factors but you wont be using a good max performance tire for a long time.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport is the best street performance tire you can buy.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:08 PM
TexasGuy

Thanks for discussions - I'm also in TX and in need of new tires.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Ron

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doesn't the temp dip in the 30's in San Antonio? I was considering summer tires also in NM but it does drop in the 30's with occasional light snow and I hear summer tires are not that effective below 50 degrees.

Ron
Old 04-13-2012, 05:24 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Michelin Pilot Super Sport is what I'm goIng with!
Old 04-13-2012, 05:25 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron
............ 30's with occasional light snow and I hear summer tires are not that effective below 50 degrees.
Ron
On occasion I have had to use my car in the winter (NYC) and there is a noticeable difference when the temp. drops but unless you're doing something stupid = dangerous you should be fine in the cold. Just keep in mind that grip, braking and acceleration will be affected.

Snow is a no go on summer tires. Can't tell you how many times i've gotten stuck in my driveway just moving the car after any amount of snow.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:33 PM
DashKid
Banned

I live in TX. You will not need all season tires on that. Trust me.

Also, do not get the hankook v12. I hate those tires. The I get nothing but road noise on those tires.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:08 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DashKid

Also, do not get the hankook v12. I hate those tires. The I get nothing but road noise on those tires.

Yeah, it never rains, sleets, snows, has freezing rain, or gets below 50 F....
Old 04-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Coprolite

Originally Posted by DashKid

Originally Posted by tejasg37x
Yeah, it never rains, sleets, snows, has freezing rain, or gets below 50 F....
After growing up in Rochester, NY and living in Wyoming, I know how to drive on snow and ice. I also know that 96.57% of people in TX don't know how to drive in those conditions. I just stay home for those few days of the year.

I hate how the summer tires perform below 50 or 60 but if all seasons are always like that, I will live with the temporary issues when cold...
Old 04-14-2012, 11:23 AM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by Coprolite
After growing up in Rochester, NY and living in Wyoming, I know how to drive on snow and ice. I also know that 96.57% of people in TX don't know how to drive in those conditions. I just stay home for those few days of the year.

I hate how the summer tires perform below 50 or 60 but if all seasons are always like that, I will live with the temporary issues when cold...

I grew up in Texas, and live here now...and I completely agree with you. I did live in Idaho and Oregon for 10 years and have plenty of experience driving in snow and wet roads and hated the drivers in Texas when I moved back.

I would still use all seasons in Texas if you are not going to change tires in the winter...I also drive mine to New Mexico for snowboarding in the winter.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:34 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It's not just the driving in Texas to consider, it's where else you may drive. I live in Dallas but don't want to end up in a northern state in the winter on summer tires. Otherwise summer tires in TX would be a fairly safe choice.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:48 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by TinsleyC
It's not just the driving in Texas to consider, it's where else you may drive. I live in Dallas but don't want to end up in a northern state in the winter on summer tires. Otherwise summer tires in TX would be a fairly safe choice.

Also a good point...
Old 04-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Coprolite

Has anyone here used one of the best all seasons and the summer tires in the past? Given that I may travel as far north as Kansas by car, all seasons might not be a bad idea in the long run.

Avoiding the feeling of driving on bricks would also help...

Quick Reply: Tires in TX: All Season Vs Summer