tirerack.com winter tires for boston

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Comatose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! Not sure how i missed this post (as i've been pegging ppl for their winter setup pics ) -- but i think it looks great! wheels look very similar to the original G35 18" rims ~~

Originally Posted by joeposter
@Comatose:
This is the best pic I could come up with. There's also one of the warning light to show that it's not that big of a deal.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:20 PM
bstnjohn

Snow Tires for Journey NOT Sport Model

This thread has been great. I plan to buy my snows from Tire Rack soon. But much of the conversation has been about the sports model. I own the Journey---and the recommended tires/rims for that model is the same as for Boston Merlin's Sport model. The comments about one size smaller says that the 19" sports tire be replaced with 18" snows. Would anyone recommend 17" snows on the Journey to replace 18" regular tires? Comments before I place my order is appreciated. Thanks John
Old 11-28-2007, 02:55 AM
symalik
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the bolt every one is talking about is on the front and its in the middle of 2 bolts. I am trying to put my winter wheels right now, and it just does not fit. I think I need to remove it, and that bolt does not seem to have any use there. I will try to take a cell phone picture since that all I have and post it later tonight when I am done/or once I figure it out.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:53 AM
symalik
Registered Member

after putting one of the front wheels in, the clearance is minimal and its scary but thats all we will get from what I have seen. Will post pictures tomorrow since phone pics aren't really coming out good.

i just cant imagine how we can get any lip on the front with aftermarket wheels.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:29 PM
silent9o8

so basically the 6MT OEM wheels wont fit any snow tires? so i would have to get a brand new set of rims?...
Old 11-28-2007, 09:40 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

I'm pretty sure the winter tires will fit the OEM rims as long as they are staggered... it's just that you'll have to get summer tires off the rims, re-install the TPMS, put the winter tires on the rims, balance the tires and reset the TMPS... a lot more work than just swapping two sets of wheels.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Comatose

What kind of winter rims did you end getting?

Originally Posted by symalik
after putting one of the front wheels in, the clearance is minimal and its scary but thats all we will get from what I have seen. Will post pictures tomorrow since phone pics aren't really coming out good.

i just cant imagine how we can get any lip on the front with aftermarket wheels.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:43 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

What do you mean by that?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 PM
symalik
Registered Member

I got the MSW type 12's i think from tire rack. I am just too scared, the wheels clear the brakes but just barely, i mean you can probably fit like quarter in the middle, like thin side. I am not sure if i should drive with those or not, going to call tire rack tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 PM
rrrevin

I think the bolt every one is talking about is on the front and its in the middle of 2 bolts. I am trying to put my winter wheels right now, and it just does not fit. I think I need to remove it, and that bolt does not seem to have any use there. I will try to take a cell phone picture since that all I have and post it later tonight when I am done/or once I figure it out.
This is the bolt.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showpos...85&postcount=7
Old 11-29-2007, 12:34 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Already covered earlier in this thread...
https://www.myg37.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=28

Originally Posted by silent9o8
so basically the 6MT OEM wheels wont fit any snow tires? so i would have to get a brand new set of rims?...
What makes you think that?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:52 PM
silent9o8

o just seemed like everyone is getting different set of rims for snow tires wouldnt u just wanna use the OEM it looks dead sexy still =)
Old 11-29-2007, 01:07 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

I don't know about the other guys here, but I'm getting separate rims for installation convenience and to reduce wear and tear on my nice OEM rims (winter salt = corrosion).

If I could I'd buy the ugly black steel rims, but apparently they don't make them bigger than 17".
Old 11-29-2007, 02:45 PM
symalik
Registered Member

Oops i searched for it the other night but could not find it. But yea thats the bolt. I still think Iam going to nee 5mm spacers in the front to have safe caliper to wheel clearance.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:08 PM
bostonmerlin

well my winter rims/tires are on and look great. about an hour start to finish. i ordered the tire pressure sensors for each tire installed. what i found out after driving her around for a while is that car low-pressure sensor is lit and wont go off. I contacted tirerack and they told me i have to take it to the dealer to have reset. Is this something i can do on my own? I thought i read somewhere on the forum there's a way to do it but maybe not. I dont want to make a special trip just for this if i can do it myself.

Any help would be appreciated!
tks
john

tire rack response...
Hello John, this is Jake at the Tire Rack. Thanks for the e-mail.

Yes sir. You definitely did order the tire pressure sensors but the new
ones have to be initialized at the dealer. I apologize for this
inconvenience and was not aware of that extra step when you place the
order. It should not take more than 30 minutes for them to do.

Quick Reply: tirerack.com winter tires for boston