TSB - Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

[TSB] Electronic Steering Column Lock (ESCL)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 05:39 PM
steene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model Year: 2011
Model Type: G25
Mileage: 62,750
Cost of Repair: $1200 parts + $460 labor = $1660 total

Same as others, both key fobs could lock/unlock the doors but could not start the car. Tried the override key slot to the left of the steering wheel but still didn't work. Stranded in an empty parking lot at night, AAA sent someone to jump the car, which didn't work. Took another 2 hours for a tow to the dealer, which was closed. The next morning, it only took a few hours for the dealer to figure it out and let me know it'll cost over $1500 to fix since the 5-year/60k-mile warranty ended 2,750 miles ago.

While they did the work, I found these forums reporting the same problem, but the dealer couldn't/wouldn't cover the cost since Infiniti hasn't issued a recall itself.

Last edited by steene; 11-16-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:08 PM
midnightmenace

Originally Posted by Str8 Jacket
Mine failed today. Luckily it was intermittent, after hitting the start button and wiggling the steering wheel a few times I got it to unlock. After that I searched the issue and found this: Steering Lock: cut one wire. /switch optional - Nissan 370Z Forum

It was a super simple fix. Just cut one wire while its unlocked and you will never have to worry about the failure again. This just saved me the $1100+ others are paying to have this fixed.

By the way mine is:
2010 G37x
79,XXX miles
Can someone who's done this before explain which wire to cut?

I've got a 2008 G37S

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2021, 09:59 PM
icon

Model Type: G25
Mileage: 90,000
Cost of Repair: ?

I was driving around town yesterday and car was driving fine, until the intelligent key system warning light came on while car was in operation. When I came home and shut off the car, the engine no longer start with a working key fob. I believe the ESCL failed like many others in this thread. I called Infiniti dealership but unlike Nissan, there is no active recall on the Infiniti side. I can't believe the recall is only limited to Nissan vehicles. Does anyone have advice on how to proceed with this issue? I contacted a local mechanic, but he's not confident that he can resolve this issue. Should I just suck it up and tow the car to Infiniti dealership and get it fixed for whatever their quote is? Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:49 PM
kcdc
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model Type: G25X
Mileage: 77,000
Cost of Repair: Total $1615 (Infiniti Dealer)

My 2011 G25X stalled at the store parking lot when I was running errands. I had to have it towed to the Inifniti Dealer as other shops were quoting slightly higher or either did not have a clue about the part that needed replacement. I came to found out through this forum that this is a known issue with the G sedans from those years. Pretty disappointed that Infiniti never issued a recall although Nissan did issue a recall. I called Infiniti Consumer Affairs to complain about this known issue but they were pretty dismissive. I had intended to upgrade to a Q50 at some point but at this time, I am having second thoughts about how this known issue was poorly handled by Infiniti. Pretty unimpressed. I understand many cars will have one or two known issues that apply to certain year models but not to address it at all is a disservice to your customers IMHO.

I asked the Infiniti Service Advisor if there is a chance this issue would reoccur (and I am open to just removing the fuse) and he said that the new part does not have this issue. Can anyone verify this?
Old 08-11-2021, 10:19 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 1,012 Posts
As I replied in your other thread, the way I understand it, the newer "revised" module does not physically lock the steering column. The module is completely electronic and only offers another level of iKey verification to the Immobilizer. In theory, no moving parts, less likelihood of failure.

What is the part number of the replacement module (should be listed on the invoice)?

I'm not sure if pulling the fuse will have any effect on the new module. I have not come across any cases of the new module causing any problems. Personally, the dealer fixed it, you likely have some type of warranty for the work order, I'd leave it be.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:56 AM
kcdc
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
As I replied in your other thread, the way I understand it, the newer "revised" module does not physically lock the steering column. The module is completely electronic and only offers another level of iKey verification to the Immobilizer. In theory, no moving parts, less likelihood of failure.

What is the part number of the replacement module (should be listed on the invoice)?

I'm not sure if pulling the fuse will have any effect on the new module. I have not come across any cases of the new module causing any problems. Personally, the dealer fixed it, you likely have some type of warranty for the work order, I'd leave it be.
Finally got my car back yesterday as the local Infiniti didn't have one in stock locally and had to get one shipped. Part # from the Invoice for the Steerling lock module is DHGMM-1NC1A

One question I have is and something I did not pay attention to in the past, is this red icon (with the car and key) supposed to remain illuminated when the dash when the car is locked? (see picture below). Here is the behavior and I want to know if that is the expected behavior (and something I never noticed):
  • The light illuminates and REMAINS ON when I get out and lock my car
  • When I open the car doors, it goes off but it flashes (every 5 seconds)
  • When I am driving, I don't see the icon anymore.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:10 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 1,012 Posts
That flashing light is the "security system." That behaviour is normal.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:47 PM
mongo312
Premier Member

Model Type: G37x
Mileage: 135,000
Cost of Repair: 200

This has happened to me twice in the last year. Starts fine then go somewhere and nothing. Have to use the mechanical key to get in and doesn't recognize the key fob. Towed home and I started checking for stuff that could be broken. Replaced the car battery and got the car to start. That was less than a year ago and the same thing happened last week. I assumed bad car battery again so replaced it even though it read 12.4 volts( no charge, thank you autozone ) and the car starts up. Could resetting the ecm by disconnecting the battery for a period of time also be resetting the steering wheel lock? Regardless, I'm going to disengage the damn thing somehow. First thought was with a chainsaw but am now looking for a more civilized method. Really like this car but Infiniti did us a dirty here.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:53 PM
kcdc
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mongo312
Model Type: G37x
Mileage: 135,000
Cost of Repair: 200

This has happened to me twice in the last year. Starts fine then go somewhere and nothing. Have to use the mechanical key to get in and doesn't recognize the key fob. Towed home and I started checking for stuff that could be broken. Replaced the car battery and got the car to start. That was less than a year ago and the same thing happened last week. I assumed bad car battery again so replaced it even though it read 12.4 volts( no charge, thank you autozone ) and the car starts up. Could resetting the ecm by disconnecting the battery for a period of time also be resetting the steering wheel lock? Regardless, I'm going to disengage the damn thing somehow. First thought was with a chainsaw but am now looking for a more civilized method. Really like this car but Infiniti did us a dirty here.
I agree. I had to shell out $1500 at the dealer and without a car for 10 days (because they had to get the part shipped). The issue I have is that this appears to be a known issue and Nissan/Infiniti still fail to acknowledge it and instead charging the full amount (one does not have much of a choice than to do it from the dealer because the costs elsewhere come out the same and you might as well do it from the mechanics who know what they are doing).

I love my car too but will have to rethink if I want to purchase a Nissan/Infiniti for my next vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
mongo312 (07-05-2022)
Old 01-15-2023, 08:03 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Mine is not starting and wheel not locking. Seems as if there is a fix.

If that didn't work then ground the pink wire below
Then do the fuse removal.
I had to remove mine. Will call LKQ...
Old 01-16-2023, 02:03 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Model Year - 2010
Model Type - G37x Sedan
Mileage - 240,xxx
Cost of Repair - <$100 for junkyard part
Old 01-23-2023, 06:31 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Well I got another unit from an 2009 that looked exactly like the unit off my 2010 and it didn't work. I got the $50 emulator off fleabay and that didn't work. Does the key have to be coded to the units or car or ??? WTH do I have to do next?!?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373648032777