TSB - Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

ITB12-027 7AT Fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 03:43 PM
codeflux
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jsp872
I have a 2011 xS Coupe,
I know it mentioned in the title it's only for the G37S models with 7AT.
just wondering if it applies to 2011 xS coupes with 7AT
The TSB applies to all 2010-2011 G37 with 7AT transmission. Call your dealer and get it done!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 PM
ap0c0lypt1c

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Just had this done on my 09 G37S Sedan. I don't think it is as "Night and Day" of a difference as some here claim, but I have noticed a few things:

1. Shift lag significantly reduced. It's still there somewhat because, at the end of the day, the 7AT is still an auto trans. However, it is much better. Gone are the days of applying the pedal 2 seconds in advance of when you want to pass somebody. And also gone is the bogging in a high gear when you floor it.

2. The transmission no longer downshifts aggressively at all during sudden braking. I had mixed feelings about that "feature", because it sounded cool but it also jerked the car forward when applying the brakes which scared people sometimes. Overall much smoother with that behavior's removal.

3. The transmission seems to need less pedal application and time to make its decisions, which overall makes the drive feel more crisp and responsive compared to how it used to be.

4. Drive Sport got neutered :/ It isn't as crazy aggressive as it used to be, but it's still sportier.

Overall, the benefits far outweigh the positives. Get this TSB done!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 PM
FootLong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does this new TSB correct the "flare" in the transmission? where sometimes the rpm will jump up around 250-500 rpm between shifts (feels like a slipping tranny or locking and unlocking of the torque converter to early). mostly does this when you drive the car a bit then park for a little then drive again. It doesn't happen all the time, but it sure is annoying when it does!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:56 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by FootLong
does this new TSB correct the "flare" in the transmission? where sometimes the rpm will jump up around 250-500 rpm between shifts (feels like a slipping tranny or locking and unlocking of the torque converter to early). mostly does this when you drive the car a bit then park for a little then drive again. It doesn't happen all the time, but it sure is annoying when it does!
i haven't notice the flare since the update.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:24 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
getting mine done next oil change..
Old 06-27-2012, 08:55 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ap0c0lypt1c
Just had this done on my 09 G37S Sedan. I don't think it is as "Night and Day" of a difference as some here claim, but I have noticed a few things:

1. Shift lag significantly reduced. It's still there somewhat because, at the end of the day, the 7AT is still an auto trans. However, it is much better. Gone are the days of applying the pedal 2 seconds in advance of when you want to pass somebody. And also gone is the bogging in a high gear when you floor it.

2. The transmission no longer downshifts aggressively at all during sudden braking. I had mixed feelings about that "feature", because it sounded cool but it also jerked the car forward when applying the brakes which scared people sometimes. Overall much smoother with that behavior's removal.

3. The transmission seems to need less pedal application and time to make its decisions, which overall makes the drive feel more crisp and responsive compared to how it used to be.

4. Drive Sport got neutered :/ It isn't as crazy aggressive as it used to be, but it's still sportier.

Overall, the benefits far outweigh the positives. Get this TSB done!
I think the bolded phrases lend credence to the tranny update is like "night and day".
Old 06-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Where can one get a print-out of this TSB? infiniti info doesn't have it posted and a googlesearch only brings up threads from here.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How can downshifting (increasing the rpms) jerk the car forward under sudden braking? Any rise in rpms will ADD engine braking to the mechanical brakes.

I agree it surprises people, but it is a great safety feature in my opinion.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:31 PM
ap0c0lypt1c

Originally Posted by Marc Collins
How can downshifting (increasing the rpms) jerk the car forward under sudden braking? Any rise in rpms will ADD engine braking to the mechanical brakes.

I agree it surprises people, but it is a great safety feature in my opinion.
I would always feel the car jerk forward whenever this happened - not sure why.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would always feel the car jerk forward whenever this happened - not sure why.
So you are applying progressively more brakes and the tranny is downshifting (with rev matching) and instead of slowing at an increasing rate (due to combo of brake pedal and engine braking) the car somehow overcomes the force of the brakes and jerks forward?

Are you sure it isn't just an "optical illusion" for the ears that because the engine is speeding up you think the car is too? You realize that the brakes will stop the car even under wide open throttle? I presume there is no throttle application when this jerk happens?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:37 AM
ap0c0lypt1c

So you are applying progressively more brakes and the tranny is downshifting (with rev matching) and instead of slowing at an increasing rate (due to combo of brake pedal and engine braking) the car somehow overcomes the force of the brakes and jerks forward?

Are you sure it isn't just an "optical illusion" for the ears that because the engine is speeding up you think the car is too? You realize that the brakes will stop the car even under wide open throttle? I presume there is no throttle application when this jerk happens?
Like I said, it doesn't make sense at all but I've felt it in correspondence with the downshift - maybe your aural illusion idea could be right. Regardless, this update completely gets rid of that feature.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by codeflux
The TSB applies to all 2010-2011 G37 with 7AT transmission. Call your dealer and get it done!
It's been expanded to the 09's as well. Got mine done yesterday. great improvement!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
It's been expanded to the 09's as well. Got mine done yesterday. great improvement!
they better get it upgraded on Monday, I am sick and tired of the 'hunt' if you don't come to a complete stop - stop and go traffic is a headache already, add in a trans that feels like it has cold molasses in it.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Emillion45

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Can nissan dealers help with this or do I have to make the hour and a half trip to my "local" Infiniti Dealer?
Old 06-29-2012, 02:12 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It happened to me also.

Quick Reply: ITB12-027 7AT Fix