Site Feedback & Suggestions For posting feedback and suggestions regarding MyG37.com

Tech Sheet Discussion for G37

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Tech Sheet Discussion for G37

Idea: Create a tech sheet with a lot of accurate and verified basic technical information on the G37 as a reference for many of us who are too lazy to RTFM. Thinks such as wheel sizes, offsets, and weight, tire sizes, spring rates, curb weights, wheelbase, engine technical info, etc, etc. Post it and sticky it but lock it. Information to be added or corrected can only be done by the mod who is in charge of it. Info or changes requested by forum members can be sent to the mod in charge for verification and a determination of whether it should be included or not. Kind of like the Tech area of www.g37-tech.com. Or perhaps have separate stickies at the top of each section with the technical info that pertains to that section? Like one with tech info at the top of the Brakes and Suspension section, one on Engine and Drivetrain, etc?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:52 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
YES Id love a sticky thread with this info in it. Like the 100 question thread on my350z... Lots of General info....
I think it would stop alot of pointless threads... BTW is it me or have there been alot of Newbies posting simple goofy "couldve found the answer x10 if I'd searched" Threads??????? Seems like there is alot more than usual.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:59 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Here's a quick copy paste why not do the same..

Engine Specifications
Type VQ37VHR DOHC 24-valve
Orientation Vertical
Cylinders / configuration V6 with molybdenum coated pistons
Block / head composition Aluminum / aluminum
Displacement 3.7 liters
Horsepower 330 hp @ 7,000 rpm
Torque 270 lb-ft. @5,200 rpm
Bore x stroke (mm) 95.5 x 86.0
Compression ratio 11.0:1
Maximum engine speed 7,600 rpm
Induction system Sequential multi-point fuel injection
Valvetrain 4 valves per cylinder
Mounts (sides/rear) 2 / 1
Recommended fuel Premium unleaded
Emissions system Closed loop feedback system with 3-way catalyst
Emission certification level 50 State, LEV2
Exhaust Dual, with dual chrome finishers

[edit] G37 Specific
[edit] What pressure should I keep my tires at?
Nissan recommends tires should be kept at 35 psi. I have heard that this applies to whatever size rim/tire you use. You should never fill the tire to the max psi, this leave no room for expansion when it heats up and could lead to catastrophic results.

How long should my tires last?
So do you want to get a rough idea of how long your tires are expected to last? It's simple, if you look up the specs of a set of tires you will see that it has a UTQG tread wear rating. OK, all you have to do it multiply the tread rating by 72 and you get a rough estimate of how long the manufacturer says the tires will last. It's that simple.

Example:

A Bridgestone Potenza RE040 has a treadwear rating of 140. 140 X 72 yields 10,080 miles.

Keep in mind that treadwear testing is done under ideal conditions, with tire inflation and wheel alignment all being adjusted to minimize tread wear. As the saying goes, actual mileage may vary.

To clarify, this formula is not to calculate the actual mileage you will get. There are too many variables for any equation to acurately calculate that. The formula is simply designed to translate the cryptic UTQG treadwear rating number into standard miles.

By the NHTSA designed treadwear test, the calibrated test tire (with a treadwear rating of 100) lasts 7,200 miles. A tire with a treadwear rating of 200 is said to last twice as long, or 14,400 miles. So there you have it.

I tried to copy a lot more information but can only have 10,000 characters per post so that going to be hard to get all this stuff into one thread.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

This is good... then a mod can clean it up and make it stick...

Diamond... What is Staff? is that mean you can edit posts too?
Old 02-08-2008, 10:22 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Yeh... But I'll just make a new thread down the road.. What are you guys looking for in particular, a G37 FAQ or mostly tech stuff or combination of both. I know from browsing on My350Z they had a nice page of FAQ. I'd wouldn't mind doing that but if someone could put together an outline that would be awesome I we don't miss anything..
Old 02-08-2008, 10:33 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

You are right ... a FAQ would be great!!
Maybe start a thread and have people add to it. Then Edit it into a masterpiece.

Questions about what products are out.
Questions about buying new rims-Offests-widths(this one for sure)
Questions about packages on the 37

stuff like that....
Old 02-08-2008, 10:59 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Sounds good but I don't have the answers so I'm going to need some help gathering some of that information.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:28 PM
O NO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do you want this all?
We do have a FAQ in the tech area.
Let DGC know and I'll work with him on it, np.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:44 PM
dmx434343

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire offsets for sure!!
I would think alot of tech stuff would be cool i like this idea
Old 02-08-2008, 01:15 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Yes I was going to suggest the same thing.
ALso include links to all the online mag articles for reference. I will try to look for some and post.

edit- a couple I have found...

ROAD AND TRACK ARTICLE:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=5496

EDMUNDS:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do....photopanel..1

MOTOR TREND VIDEO (G37 vs 335):
http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtes...5i_comparison/
http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtes...arison_part_2/

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 02-08-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:31 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Ok well lets use this thread for now to post some ideas and info and I'll make an official FAQ thread down the road.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I think Tech info and FAQ should be separate and both should be required reading.

In the Tech area, have one post for each topic like one for brakes, one for engine, one for audio system, etc. I think they should be modified only by the mod who is in charge but anyone can contribute infomaton as they find it or it becomes available by PMing it to the mod.

FAQ should be more like a wiki and anyone can contribute (so long as they can form complete logical sentences, spell, and punctuate!)

Maybe have newbies required to read them before being allowed to post? Have a link at the end stating somthing like "By clicking here I affirm that I have thoroughly read the FAQ (or Tech sheet as applicable) and agree not to post assinine questions that are answered by the information I have learned herein."
Old 02-08-2008, 07:11 PM
G37RacerX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Treadwear ratings

About treadwear rating numbers; I've been told that those numbers are best used to compare tires from the same manufacturer only.

Here is what I mean, copied from this tire rack page:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=48

Treadwear Grades

UTQG Treadwear Grades are based on actual road use in which the test tire is run in a vehicle convoy along with standardized Course Monitoring Tires. The vehicle repeatedly runs a prescribed 400-mile test loop in West Texas for a total of 7,200 miles. The vehicle can have its alignment set, air pressure checked and tires rotated every 800 miles. The test tire's and the Monitoring Tire's wear are measured during and at the conclusion of the test. The tire manufacturers then assign a Treadwear Grade based on the observed wear rates. The Course Monitoring Tire is assigned a grade and the test tire receives a grade indicating its relative treadwear. A grade of 100 would indicate that the tire tread would last as long as the test tire, 200 would indicate the tread would last twice as long, 300 would indicate three times as long, etc.

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:56 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I think Tech info and FAQ should be separate and both should be required reading.

In the Tech area, have one post for each topic like one for brakes, one for engine, one for audio system, etc. I think they should be modified only by the mod who is in charge but anyone can contribute infomaton as they find it or it becomes available by PMing it to the mod.

FAQ should be more like a wiki and anyone can contribute (so long as they can form complete logical sentences, spell, and punctuate!)

Maybe have newbies required to read them before being allowed to post? Have a link at the end stating somthing like "By clicking here I affirm that I have thoroughly read the FAQ (or Tech sheet as applicable) and agree not to post assinine questions that are answered by the information I have learned herein."

Going to get this started this week. I'm not much of a techi when it comes to the G, I haven't changed my wheels or anything like that so I'm going to need some help from everyone with this information and also with suggestions as to what need to be included.

I want to do something like this:
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197329

Taylored specifically to the G37 starting from Pricing/Options, leasing buying, and the way down too tires and evrything else.

For now were going to use this thread and I'll make a seperate one in the Tech Area or FAQ (haven't decided where) that will be locked and edited.

Since there is not a G37 for dummies guide out yet, I seriously need everyone to help out especially with suggesting information they would like to see or what they feel are commonly asked questions. An answer would be greatfully appreciated as I do not have a lot of time to search and look for this information.