Dead Horse Maybe? Springs and struts or coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:44 PM
MeatySock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dead Horse Maybe? Springs and struts or coilovers?

Ok so while doing some research I noticed the 350/370 guys who track there cars and seem to know what they are saying, all recommend if you want a drop and nice ride to just get some lowering springs and quality adjustable struts like TOKICO D-SPEC with tein springs instead of "Cheap" coilovers like tanabe or BC or even the KW v1...

Now Im sure some of you guys who have been on here for years notice as the cars get older the owners change to a younger and "cheaper" crowd, its the natural flow of things. That said, im trying to bring this car to something I can call mine and I feel looks great but I dont have 2500 to drop on making my car lower. 1000 is about my limit, I could spend more but to me I cant justify it. So for around the 1000 dollar limit whats a better option these days?

I want to lower my car but not slam it, I think the car handles good enough but if it could feel a little more stable at the limit that would be nice but a nice riding car is more important to me. I dont want any clunks or bangs. I noticed the threads i was reading were from 2012/2013ish, and any current people who I know own BC dont have any complaints.

So im kinda thinking maybe BC had some issues in the past but over a few years they have honed in the process and make a quality product for a good price now? Another opinion they shared was people on BC or kw or tanabe have nothing to compare to and that people feel a stiffer ride and conclude that means it handles better.

So what do you guys think? Is 1000 dollar BC coilovers a good idea for someone like me? Someone who is budgeting his modding and wants a good quality ride without noise or harshness, and something that will a few years...

Thanks guys I hope this doesnt spiral into an argument but a nice discussion would be welcome!
Old 08-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Baby Jumpman
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Are you awd? If not I'd go springs and shocks if your just looking for a modest drop that will last you.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Swift springs. Koni dampers. Call it a day.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:47 PM
MeatySock

I am a 08 6mt coupe, 2wd. which konis you talking bout BB? And A fear or worry i suppose is a drop to much or not enough...
Old 08-01-2015, 10:38 PM
MeatySock

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Swift springs. Koni dampers. Call it a day.
the Koni yellows only allow a 1.3 inch drop MAX, and the H and R springs are a 1.5-2.0 inch drop... :/
Old 08-02-2015, 01:53 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by MeatySock
the Koni yellows only allow a 1.3 inch drop MAX, and the H and R springs are a 1.5-2.0 inch drop... :/
If you want to lower your car but not slam it I'd avoid H&Rs, they're a deep drop spring.

Konis + Swift springs are a setup that gets great reviews.

I'd also consider Tein Basis coilovers too, they're a budget coilover but a quality Japanese company that has a good reputation and these utilize the OEM front top mounts that can be a source for noises in taiwan coils. These don't have damper adjustment but should be set up well for daily driving. Combine them w/ aftermarket sway bars and should be a good setup for some track duty.

FWIW, the KWV1s shouldn't be considered in the same group as BCs & Tanabes, they're a higher quality setup, the price reflects that they too don't have damping adjustment, but are setup very well out of the box.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:55 AM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
My struts are shot and I'm trying to get close to the OEM ride while minimally lowering the vehicle. I'm looking at Tokico blue and Koni yellow for struts and Swift or Tanabe NF 210 for springs. What's the best combination to get the OEM ride? I'm leaning toward the Tokico and Tanabe combo. Read all the threads but not a clear answer. Thanks!

UCLAg37
Old 08-11-2015, 08:36 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by UCLAG37
My struts are shot and I'm trying to get close to the OEM ride while minimally lowering the vehicle. I'm looking at Tokico blue and Koni yellow for struts and Swift or Tanabe NF 210 for springs. What's the best combination to get the OEM ride? I'm leaning toward the Tokico and Tanabe combo. Read all the threads but not a clear answer. Thanks!

UCLAg37
Koni Yellows should be a notch above the Tokicos as far as quality & performance & either of those springs should be a good choice for daily driving although the Tanabes are more likely to drop the rear more than the front so it can look a bit off without this "fix"
My 09 G37xS (AWD) Lowered on Tanabe - Droopy Bum fix too!(PICS) - G35Driver
The following users liked this post:
UCLAG37 (08-11-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 01:27 AM
MeatySock

You know a few years ago TEIN was some good stuff, people had the little shock dude on their car or shirts, but now it seems I hear more than not how TEIN is garbage and sucks. IDK what the reason is or exact reason but I was wondering if maybe you knew why they got this bad rep now? Is it just cause of the price? I would kind of like to try the TEIN Basis if you think they are good. Im kinda debating even lowering my car, i dont track and it would be looks as a positive but alot of negs like scraping, cost, work to install, maybe bouncy, maybe noisy, ect. I mean i wouldnt think twice if i was a few years younger but now im kinda like blahh do i really care if my car sits a inch or so lower?
Old 08-14-2015, 08:25 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by MeatySock
You know a few years ago TEIN was some good stuff, people had the little shock dude on their car or shirts, but now it seems I hear more than not how TEIN is garbage and sucks. IDK what the reason is or exact reason but I was wondering if maybe you knew why they got this bad rep now? Is it just cause of the price? I would kind of like to try the TEIN Basis if you think they are good. Im kinda debating even lowering my car, i dont track and it would be looks as a positive but alot of negs like scraping, cost, work to install, maybe bouncy, maybe noisy, ect. I mean i wouldnt think twice if i was a few years younger but now im kinda like blahh do i really care if my car sits a inch or so lower?
There's a few that are getting ready to have the Tein Basis installed, might hold on for a bit and see what they have to say about them.
For the most part they get pretty good reviews, the Basis is the latest version of their Basic coilover and has had some improvements. Aftermarket sway bars combined w/ those coilovers should make for a pretty well handling vehicle. I think member "Hold my Mouse" has that exact setup now, so you might shoot him a PM and see what he has to say.
And like I said, stay tuned if you're not in a big hurry.

Keep in mind a lot of the reviews you read on the internet are people that just like to bash any brand that they don't have. Prior to recommending these coils I looked around the best I could, and for those that actually own these setups the reviews have been consistently positive compared w/ other coilovers at a budget price point.