Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help 2011 G37 IPL Possible Clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Digilog
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 G37 IPL Possible Clutch issue

So I recently bought a used G37 IPL 6MT It has 66,000 Kilometres or 41,000 Miles on it.

I have only had the car for a week (well a full week in about 6 hours from now).

I notice on Thursday I thought maybe the clutch had slipped in second gear during some hard acceleration, I let off and then applied throttle again and it seemed fine.

However on Friday night I was a Drag strip, now the car only did 3 runs because I got there right at the end of the evening. First two runs were fine, I launch at bit to high in the revs the first go and got wheel hop, a bit to low the second run and bogged out. On the third my buddy was driving and he said it slipped bad in first, he said he had revs but the car wasn't really moving and he didn't feel any wheel spin so he gently drove it to the end.

Afterwards driving the car normally it seemed fine no issues. Now Dragging the car is not going to be a regular thing, like once a year maybe with some friends.

I have been reading on the forum here about what seems to have been persistent clutch issues from factory but nothing recently, I was wondering if some thing had changed in the latter models of the car if the issues aren't happening any more or if everyone just knows about it and its not really discussed anymore?

I have no idea how the previous owner treated the car, but I have been driving like a bit of teenager here and there, this is the first sports car I have had in a long time, and the first with decent power. Having said that, I have only left 11's once and launched it hard in first a few times besides the 3 at the track, other wise it been pulls while already rolling.

If I do need a clutch is there a recommendation on an after market (assuming the OEM still has issues), I read a new flywheel is sometimes required but I can't imagine that at only 41K miles.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Carl
Old 08-17-2015, 02:53 PM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Most likely you had no traction on your street tires rather than clutch slipping. If you don't have RPMs shoot up to the sky while the car is not moving - it's not clutch slip, it's a little early in it's life to be slipping even with drag strip time. I've had several clutches replaced and rebuilt on mutliple cars including 2 infiniti cars and I do go to the drag strip occasionally but I'm not a mechanic so take it with a grain of salt. That being said, you would feel clutch slipping on your daily drive it it was really about to kick the can. The one time I've killed my clutch at the drag strip, it's been slippin now and then at high rpms for weeks if not months, after a few runs it started slipping in every gear past 2500 rpms.

Last edited by serega13; 08-17-2015 at 03:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Digilog (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 02:57 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Digilog
So I recently bought a used G37 IPL 6MT It has 66,000 Kilometres or 41,000 Miles on it.

I have only had the car for a week (well a full week in about 6 hours from now).

I notice on Thursday I thought maybe the clutch had slipped in second gear during some hard acceleration, I let off and then applied throttle again and it seemed fine.

However on Friday night I was a Drag strip, now the car only did 3 runs because I got there right at the end of the evening. First two runs were fine, I launch at bit to high in the revs the first go and got wheel hop, a bit to low the second run and bogged out. On the third my buddy was driving and he said it slipped bad in first, he said he had revs but the car wasn't really moving and he didn't feel any wheel spin so he gently drove it to the end.

Afterwards driving the car normally it seemed fine no issues. Now Dragging the car is not going to be a regular thing, like once a year maybe with some friends.

I have been reading on the forum here about what seems to have been persistent clutch issues from factory but nothing recently, I was wondering if some thing had changed in the latter models of the car if the issues aren't happening any more or if everyone just knows about it and its not really discussed anymore?

I have no idea how the previous owner treated the car, but I have been driving like a bit of teenager here and there, this is the first sports car I have had in a long time, and the first with decent power. Having said that, I have only left 11's once and launched it hard in first a few times besides the 3 at the track, other wise it been pulls while already rolling.

If I do need a clutch is there a recommendation on an after market (assuming the OEM still has issues), I read a new flywheel is sometimes required but I can't imagine that at only 41K miles.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Carl
The OEM clutch is good to go, its the CSC (Clutch slave cylinder) that is the Achillees heel of the entire setup.

But, with that being said, it is also possible that the previous owner abused the living daylights out of the clutch disk itself.

Anyways, if you wanted to replace it, both Exedy and JWT make proper setups. If you are determined to replace it, you should throw in a new flywheel while youre at it, youre already in there.

Also, do NOT take it to the dealer for replacement. Bring your own parts to a trustworthy shop as I am sure they will charge you FAR LESS than the stealership.
Digilog (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 03:19 PM
Digilog
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by serega13
Most likely you had no traction on your street tires rather than clutch slipping. If you don't have RPMs shoot up to the sky while the car is not moving - it's not clutch slip, it's a little early in it's life to be slipping even with drag strip time. I've had several clutches replaced and rebuilt on mutliple cars including 2 infiniti cars and I do go to the drag strip occasionally but I'm not a mechanic so take it with a grain of salt. That being said, you would feel clutch slipping on your daily drive it it was really about to kick the can. The one time I've killed my clutch at the drag strip, it's been slippin now and then at high rpms for weeks if not months, after a few runs it started slipping in every gear past 2500 rpms.
OK that makes me feel a bit better, I know I haven't had the time to break this clutch yet, I have only ever owned manual cars for the 22yrs I have been driving. So the real unknown is how the previous owner treated the car. Speaking of the street tires its wearing 245/19 Goodyear Eagle RSA's front and back. Any thoughts on those tires? I thought this car had the Potenza REO50A's on it but, that must have been another car I test drove.

Originally Posted by chilibowl
The OEM clutch is good to go, its the CSC (Clutch slave cylinder) that is the Achillees heel of the entire setup.

But, with that being said, it is also possible that the previous owner abused the living daylights out of the clutch disk itself.

Anyways, if you wanted to replace it, both Exedy and JWT make proper setups. If you are determined to replace it, you should throw in a new flywheel while youre at it, youre already in there.

Also, do NOT take it to the dealer for replacement. Bring your own parts to a trustworthy shop as I am sure they will charge you FAR LESS than the stealership.
Yeah I did read about the CSC as well, in those cases the pedal normally did not return to top position right? Is there a way to examine the CSC and check its status, like is there obvious leakage from a seal when it goes bad?

I'll avoid the stealership, finding a trusted mechanic could be an issue. Any balpark idea what the CSC, flywheel, and Exedy costs?

Thanks for the quick reply guys I feel a bit better now.

Carl
IPL Twin (04-14-2019)
Old 08-17-2015, 03:54 PM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Goodyear Eagle RS-A are not good tires for traction. They are all-seasons but they are not particularly good at anything in particular. You would do really well with good summer tires like Michelin PSS if you have $$$ to spend or at least something like Hankook V12 evo2 which are reasonably priced. Will make a world of difference on the drag strip and on the street.
IPL Twin (04-14-2019)