Causes of camber BEFORE lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 05:38 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Causes of camber BEFORE lowering?

Yes it's me again. The one with the rebuilt. I know a bunch of you are once again immediately going to want to harass me again for mentioning a problem with my car, but please, just save it..

So my rear right tire has some serious camber going on.. It's at -3 and the car hasn't been lowered... When I bought the car, I'm almost positive it wasn't like this. It would have stood out to me, like it did when I first noticed about a week ago. Plus I have some pictures and it doesn't look like it does now.

In fact, one night, I was driving slowly, about to park, and I heard a rather loud noise come from the rear end. It was the sound of metal hitting against something, or breaking. I stopped, got out of the car, and happened to find two bolts on the ground.. Now I don't know if this was completely coincidental or if they actually came from my car. When I parked, that's when I noticed the camber, on just that one wheel.

So, it seemed like something went wrong at that moment in time. I do not think my frame is completely messed up or else it would have been there from the start. That said, what could be causing this issue? Are our rear camber arms the only components that affect camber? After seeing underneath, I think not, because it looks fine.. And they're not even adjustable right? So in an alignment how would they even correct camber without the SPC kit? Even if I had the SPC, I don't believe that will correct the issue, due to it being so off in the first place. So what do you guys think?

And again please don't flame me. This may be the simple replacement of a part.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:46 PM
sharkey

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Why don't you post a picture of said bolts, and said view of the area they MIGHT have come from (where they were located when found)
Old 01-31-2017, 09:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
If you found bolts under your car I would at least get you car on a lift or jackstands and have a long look around, compare one side vs the other to see if anything is amiss. The rear camber and toe are adjustable, not a lot of adjustment range but there is some there. There are a total of four bolts (two on each side) that are offset mounted into a washer that when rotated will slide along a slot to adjust the camber & toe. If one or both of those bolts broke on one side it could cause a very significant change there. I would NOT drive it until you can give it a good look.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:20 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
plus 1 to blnewt post. just like i told you to climb under your car and do a visual on your noise issue i suggest the same for this issue. no one here is clairvoyant and we can not identify what is it that you are even referring to in regards to the bolts you found on the ground. ck to see if bolts are missing from you suspension before asking about spc kits and camber adjustments that you yourself already denied, put off as something that you believe won't work. since your car was in the shop for the backing plate noise did the mechanic find anything wrong with your suspension?
Old 02-01-2017, 09:16 AM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Originally Posted by crookncastle
plus 1 to blnewt post. just like i told you to climb under your car and do a visual on your noise issue i suggest the same for this issue. no one here is clairvoyant and we can not identify what is it that you are even referring to in regards to the bolts you found on the ground. ck to see if bolts are missing from you suspension before asking about spc kits and camber adjustments that you yourself already denied, put off as something that you believe won't work. since your car was in the shop for the backing plate noise did the mechanic find anything wrong with your suspension?
I know you guys can't specifically tell me where the bolts came from, obviously. I was first trying to see if there are multiple components in the rear that control camber, or if it is just the stock arms.

And the shop told me they wouldn't be able to see where the issue was coming from until they attempted to perform an alignment, which doesn't really make sense to me..
Old 02-01-2017, 11:53 AM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by HotSawce
I know you guys can't specifically tell me where the bolts came from, obviously. I was first trying to see if there are multiple components in the rear that control camber, or if it is just the stock arms.

And the shop told me they wouldn't be able to see where the issue was coming from until they attempted to perform an alignment, which doesn't really make sense to me..
The shop probably just means that they need to get your car up on the alignment rack to be able to check it out.

And they probably don't want to check out the problem for free.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:59 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

This is a Z but it's the same on your G, the red circle is the toe adjust bolt, the blue circle is the camber arm adjust bolt. Definitely get a full visual account of everything prior to considering an alignment.

Name:  zele-fztitan2-001.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  71.1 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
HotSawce (02-01-2017), kennyz424 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 02:15 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

So here are the two bolts that I found. The big one says TY on the top and the little one JH. I googled "TY bolt infiniti" and found this https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/pa...1a1-0351a.html I still don't know for sure if these bolts came from my vehicle or not.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:35 PM
sharkey

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey man, I'm going to try and say this as politely as I can, make sure you have that picture blnewt on your phone next to you

Get under your car...... look.... look some more, oh hey there is a phone in your hand... take a dang picture!!!

If you don't want to get under your car, Jack your car up with the bad cambered wheel, shake said wheel.. does it move? If checked yes, take your wheel off and look for something out of place.
If you do not know something is out of place, oh look there is a phone in your pocket.. take a dang picture and post here!!

Yes there is more stuff that would affect your camber besides your camber arms..

Also, those bolts don't look factory
Old 02-01-2017, 07:05 PM
BSG1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree, those don't look like factory bolts.

Out of curiosity, did you have the car inspected by anyone before purchasing it? With the severity of damage that car had, and quite honestly even without any damage, it's always a good idea to do so. You said the seller had a 60 day warranty or something...you might want to consider having the car towed there and checked out.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sharkey
Hey man, I'm going to try and say this as politely as I can, make sure you have that picture blnewt on your phone next to you

Get under your car...... look.... look some more, oh hey there is a phone in your hand... take a dang picture!!!

If you don't want to get under your car, Jack your car up with the bad cambered wheel, shake said wheel.. does it move? If checked yes, take your wheel off and look for something out of place.
If you do not know something is out of place, oh look there is a phone in your pocket.. take a dang picture and post here!!

Yes there is more stuff that would affect your camber besides your camber arms..

Also, those bolts don't look factory
Haha I know I know. pictures; got it. But honestly, I don't think pictures are gonna do any good. I went to a shop that completely turned me away because they didn't even feel confident enough in their abilities to diagnose my problem. They recommended me to a shop that specializes in chassis/suspension. I went. The guy I spoke to sounded to be an expert, at least compared to others I've spoken to.

He briefly got my under my car when it was on the ground and said that everything looks fine.. Obviously it isn't, but for that reason, he told me that even by him lifting up the car, getting under it and inspecting, it would be very difficult for him to narrow down the problem to one clear cut component. In other words, it's not as simple as I'm hoping it would be; that it could be multiple parts, and that due to the curvature of a lot of these parts, he'd have to remove pieces and compare them to new ones to see if they are causing the problem. He told me not to bother putting up the lift and paying for the diagnostic fee, because he probably wouldn't come to the type of definitive answer I was looking for. But that if I gave him some time with the car, he'd make things right for like $280..

At this point, I am just going to take it to the shop from where I bought the car and make him fix it..
Old 02-01-2017, 09:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

So he has no idea what all would be involved in the repair, but can do it for $280???

Sounds kinda sketchy TBH. It's a bummer that you've been through this and worse that you may be driving an unsafe vehicle. I would still try to get under there yourself, spend some time really looking at the suspension parts and the overall chassis of the car. Pay close attention to anything that may have been scraped, parts that stand out as shiny, obviously anything cracked, loose, or missing fasteners. For the most part you should have one side of the car that's set up as it should be as far as the condition of the parts, and where the accident occurred would be what you'd want to compare to the "fresh" side, this should reveal a lot.

I'm not saying for you to diagnose what could be a complex issue, but just for piece of mind, knowing the overall condition at this point seems important to me.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:48 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
So he has no idea what all would be involved in the repair, but can do it for $280???

Sounds kinda sketchy TBH. It's a bummer that you've been through this and worse that you may be driving an unsafe vehicle. I would still try to get under there yourself, spend some time really looking at the suspension parts and the overall chassis of the car. Pay close attention to anything that may have been scraped, parts that stand out as shiny, obviously anything cracked, loose, or missing fasteners. For the most part you should have one side of the car that's set up as it should be as far as the condition of the parts, and where the accident occurred would be what you'd want to compare to the "fresh" side, this should reveal a lot.

I'm not saying for you to diagnose what could be a complex issue, but just for piece of mind, knowing the overall condition at this point seems important to me.
Yeah I agree it does seem somewhat sketchy but I think I get what he's saying. Granted, I had to condense everything he said into a few sentences so there might be a loss in translation.
I have already gotten under my car and looked for a solid 10 minutes. I couldn't notice a difference. But my conditions weren't ideal. I only have some ramps; not a hydraulic lift where I can comfortably and effectively check all angles. And possibly, jack stands might be better so the wheel can hang.

I appreciate your concern. It is a bummer but I'm not going to complain because it's what I signed up for haha. These are the things that may come with getting a rebuilt. In a way I'm almost relieved it's revealing itself now at a time where the dealer might still repair it, rather than later. Best case, they fix it for me. Worst case (I pray) I have to pay a few hundred bucks to get it fixed. Assuming this one of the major issues I'd have with the car, which it really seems like it would be, it would still make my purchase a tremendous deal.

Last edited by HotSawce; 02-02-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:11 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by HotSawce
So here are the two bolts that I found. The big one says TY on the top and the little one JH. I googled "TY bolt infiniti" and found this https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/pa...1a1-0351a.html I still don't know for sure if these bolts came from my vehicle or not.

those 2 bolts do not look like any bolts that a japanese automaker typically would use. first those look like coarse standard threads. second most japanese automakers use bolts that have a flange on the head. i doubt those bolts came from your car. if it did someone may have used incorrect bolts and they came off. like many others here have stated including myself climb under your ride and look at the suspension.