Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
PLEASE CLOSE WTB 2010+ Sedan IPDM - defective OK

Category: Accessories
Price: $1
Private or Vendor Listing: Private Listing
Part fits: 2010+ G37 Sedan
Location (State/Prov): SC
Item Condition: Used

Looking for an IPDM to re-engineer. If you have one that went bad, that would be great (as long as it didn't catch on fire). Ebay has good used ones for $60 - so maybe $25 or so with shipping?

The factory service manual looks at the IPDM as a black box. CANBUS goes in, things happen, relays switch and power is output. I'm looking at figuring out at least the relay side of the wiring diagram for the innards. And to do that, I need one I can rip apart and trace all the circuits / drivers/ etc.

Last edited by rotarymike; 10-24-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:16 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
What is an IPDM? Can you provide picture of it or where it's located?
Old 07-30-2018, 03:46 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Intelligent Power Distribution Module - the thing next to the battery that ISN'T a fusebox.

https://parts.infinitiusa.com/nissan...partcode=284B7

So, the body control module makes decisions as to what systems are activated at any one time - say, the logic that turns the fog lights off when you switch to high beams. It tells the IPDM what to turn on and off via CANBUS. The IPDM has a bunch of internal relays that handle switching the current load of whatever device is commanded on. I do not know if they are mechanical relays or the solid state type relays.

An example: My wife used to have a Mini Cooper which has the same setup. One of the brake light relays burned out internally to the PDM; the PDM cost more than the car was worth at that time. Instead of dropping $4k on the part, install, and programming at the dealer, we re-purposed the other side brake light relay to drive both brake lights by intercepting the command signal and running it out to a discrete, higher-amperage mechanical relay that ran both.

I'm mostly interested in how it works; I'm not needing to fix anything (fingers crossed) in my G37 yet. Lots of logic tends to happen in those modules, like exterior light behavior, DRLs, wipers, burnt incandescent detection/rapid flash, etc.

Last edited by rotarymike; 07-30-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:36 PM
GdaddyNY
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
^Thats a slick repair on the Mini Cooper.
The following users liked this post:
rotarymike (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 08:50 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Thanks for explanation.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:45 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
Intelligent Power Distribution Module - the thing next to the battery that ISN'T a fusebox.

https://parts.infinitiusa.com/nissan...partcode=284B7

So, the body control module makes decisions as to what systems are activated at any one time - say, the logic that turns the fog lights off when you switch to high beams. It tells the IPDM what to turn on and off via CANBUS. The IPDM has a bunch of internal relays that handle switching the current load of whatever device is commanded on. I do not know if they are mechanical relays or the solid state type relays.

An example: My wife used to have a Mini Cooper which has the same setup. One of the brake light relays burned out internally to the PDM; the PDM cost more than the car was worth at that time. Instead of dropping $4k on the part, install, and programming at the dealer, we re-purposed the other side brake light relay to drive both brake lights by intercepting the command signal and running it out to a discrete, higher-amperage mechanical relay that ran both.

I'm mostly interested in how it works; I'm not needing to fix anything (fingers crossed) in my G37 yet. Lots of logic tends to happen in those modules, like exterior light behavior, DRLs, wipers, burnt incandescent detection/rapid flash, etc.
I have messed with the IPDM in my Nissan Titan. I also owned a 2016 GTI which has a BCM (similar to IPDM) that is TOTALLY re-configurable through Android/OBDEleven, and I did lots of re-programming of the GTI.

If you buy an IPDM to re-engineer, I would suggest also learning how to program such equipment (if you are not already familiar) using a PIC16 or PIC32 or Arduino to learn coding language. I am sure you could emulate the IPDM and hijack it's functions to make the relays do what you want to do.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:39 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I've used PIC micros before (although I had a friend who wrote the assembly language code for me) and that is an interesting angle. Was a real b`tch just to get the timing right to drive a parallel interface LCD. I've never used an Arduino (or Raspberry Pi) but those are supposedly much simpler than programming the PICs.
I was thinking more along the lines of intercepting traces to the built-in relays and bringing those out to discrete logic and then relays outside the IPDM. We did that all the time in aircraft engineering to modernize these really old flight control "computers" in DC-8s, back when I was an airplane monkey.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:10 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
If there's room in the ipdm, I would just intercept the relays. That's how I do it in my Titan, get high quality sealed marine relays with sockets.

BTW did you ever work with mag amps back then? And yes, Arduino is much easier to use.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:33 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

While I find all this quite interesting, it has no business in a for-sale ad. Please take it to PM or start a thread in the Audi, Video, Electronics forum. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:10 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Therefore, I bump - still looking for the part. Reasoning/discussions, PM me please!
Old 09-27-2018, 11:39 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Bump bump. Someone parting their wrecked G, please PM me for the IPDM.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:44 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Mods please close. Found one locally.