Nor Cal G Nor Cal G - operating for the Northern California G35's and surrounding areas.

Maintenance / Repair Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 01:08 PM
IrishSkyline
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Track tested and proven weekly! Quality in design! JDM! I love JDM!
Old 08-07-2006, 02:10 PM
dklau33

LOL... JayDeeEm y0!

I would disagree slightly and recommend other solutions over Cusco. Thing is the Cusco rear bar is non-adjustable where as many other manufacturers offer 3 way adjustment in the rear. For some the Cuscos maybe just fine if they want to set it and forget it but isn't the purpose of aftermarket sway bars supposed to help fine tune your supsension setup and driving style? If you don't have adjustability how can you fine tune?
Old 08-07-2006, 02:28 PM
vodkarocket

Originally Posted by dklau33
LOL... JayDeeEm y0!

I would disagree slightly and recommend other solutions over Cusco. Thing is the Cusco rear bar is non-adjustable where as many other manufacturers offer 3 way adjustment in the rear. For some the Cuscos maybe just fine if they want to set it and forget it but isn't the purpose of aftermarket sway bars supposed to help fine tune your supsension setup and driving style? If you don't have adjustability how can you fine tune?
Exactly... I was hoping there would have been a better answer then "JDM."

There's also the price tag which is $200 more than the Stillen's...
Old 08-08-2006, 04:54 PM
IrishSkyline
Premier Member

I love challenges... slightly disagree... sounds like you disagree. Cusco is about racing, not daily driving. Many JDM products are not after daily driving, hell most drivers in Japan that buy aftermarket products aren't really in it for daily driving. Simply put... JDM = racing. So why would you need adjustability on a sway bar when the sole purpose is to make it as stiff as possible. Stiffness leads to balance. Balance leads to more contact with pavement through twisties which leads to better track times. But just in case numbers are your thing... the front sway for Z/G are 35mm bars adjustable two ways, 20% difference and 37% difference on both applications over normal sway bars. The (non-adjustable) rear sway is a 25mm bar and is a 73% difference over normal sways. Their name speaks quality and they win races. They are JDM! So I will pay more money for track tested and proven applications again IMO. Stillen is a nice company, just not my cup of tea! We even sell them in our shop when requested. Continue to enjoy!
Old 08-08-2006, 05:30 PM
vodkarocket

Originally Posted by IrishSkyline
I love challenges... slightly disagree... sounds like you disagree. Cusco is about racing, not daily driving. Many JDM products are not after daily driving, hell most drivers in Japan that buy aftermarket products aren't really in it for daily driving. Simply put... JDM = racing. So why would you need adjustability on a sway bar when the sole purpose is to make it as stiff as possible. Stiffness leads to balance. Balance leads to more contact with pavement through twisties which leads to better track times. But just in case numbers are your thing... the front sway for Z/G are 35mm bars adjustable two ways, 20% difference and 37% difference on both applications over normal sway bars. The (non-adjustable) rear sway is a 25mm bar and is a 73% difference over normal sways. Their name speaks quality and they win races. They are JDM! So I will pay more money for track tested and proven applications again IMO. Stillen is a nice company, just not my cup of tea! We even sell them in our shop when requested. Continue to enjoy!
Your logic of "Stiffness leads to balance. Balance leads to more contact with pavement through twisties which leads to better track times" is completely false. There is such a thing as overbracing a car, where the added stiffness makes it much more difficult to drive.

The way I see it is with the Cusco sways, you are forced to adopt that exact increase in stiffness level, which may or may not be the best used in conjunction with your existing suspension components or your preffered driving style- some people like their car feeling completely neutral, some want it to induce a bit of undeersteer before starting to oversteer, and then there are those that want the car to induce oversteer immediately.

I think it's safe to say that at 9 out of 10 G35 owners would prefer to have the ability to fully adjust their sway bar settings, not go with one that offers such a dramatic increase over OEM stiffness. For the record, the Stillen bars offer a 7-70% over OEM adjustability range, and I doubt you'd feel that extra 3%.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:21 PM
HIGH GS

I've known Eugene (bythabay) almost all my life. He rocks. I'd trust him with my G any day of the week. =)

Last edited by HIGH GS; 08-08-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Disco_Monkey

Jeff,

I have to disagree that JDM means something is better or more "race" applicable. I love my Stillen Sways and chose them over Cusco for the adjustability to go from a street setting to a track setting which suits my driving style. After all, racecars are tuned to the driver's preferences and not the other way around.

The Cusco Front A-Arms costed MUCH less than the 350EVO ones I have. The 350EVO ones have more adjustability and ARE in fact track proven. They are not JDM and they are better.

P.S. JDM Bodykits are definitely better than the USDM ones for sure though. No arguement in that one. Let me know when mine gets here. LOL.

Last edited by Disco_Monkey; 08-09-2006 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:14 AM
dklau33

Originally Posted by vodkarocket
Your logic of "Stiffness leads to balance. Balance leads to more contact with pavement through twisties which leads to better track times" is completely false. There is such a thing as overbracing a car, where the added stiffness makes it much more difficult to drive.

The way I see it is with the Cusco sways, you are forced to adopt that exact increase in stiffness level, which may or may not be the best used in conjunction with your existing suspension components or your preffered driving style- some people like their car feeling completely neutral, some want it to induce a bit of undeersteer before starting to oversteer, and then there are those that want the car to induce oversteer immediately.

I think it's safe to say that at 9 out of 10 G35 owners would prefer to have the ability to fully adjust their sway bar settings, not go with one that offers such a dramatic increase over OEM stiffness. For the record, the Stillen bars offer a 7-70% over OEM adjustability range, and I doubt you'd feel that extra 3%.
Exactly! The stiffer you go on a rear bar, the more independence you take away from the independent suspension. Thus leading to less body roll, but also less traction in corners. There is a such thing as a point where it is too stiff. And that is why ADJUSTABLE sway bars are better imo so you can tinker and find that happy medium of having reduced body roll without taking too much away from traction. Of course this is assuming the adjustable bars are properly designed to begin with. Not to say Cusco makes bad sway bars, just saying having the ablitity to fine tuen is preferred. Okay this is getting way off topic so I'll stop there.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:22 PM
IrishSkyline
Premier Member

Regardless it is all opinions, as this is where the big debate always begins. Gentlemen... generalizations is what most of this is. I am not one person to say JDM is the only way to go, and is absolutely the best product. There are obviously a few companies in the US that make excellent products, especially for racing (just ask Rhys Millen). I am only simply stating, from a track guy, IMO<---again IMO, whether you choose to agree or not, when it comes to suspension on a track in competitive races (SCCA, D1, NHRA, etc) I will choose the company I see racing with the actual product. I like Stillen, but again IMO, I still prefer Cusco b/c I have raced with them both. If not Cusco, I choose Swift as set up in our Honda race cars such as the Spoon cars. Obviously I would not state 9 out of 10 prefer adjustability unless you are only referring to sway bars b/c it would be overall misleading in other suspension modifications. And to say too stiff of a sway bar creates less traction... ummm, there's alot more involved in a suspension setup all working together. So in the end I think we are coming from two different opposite sides of the playing field... we build very aggressive cars with the sole purpose to perform, and perform, and perform some more through some of the most exhausting of endurance racing. We choose JDM b/c the quality has outlasted most of its competition. When it comes to simply tinkering around with your daily driver then obviously you have to find what it is that you want out of your car and buy accordingly, as we tell all of our customers.

ON a side note: yes Chris JDM aero parts rule!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 07:37 PM
G-Mony

Originally Posted by skeleton_cru
I don't mind waiting if you want to do it together. I can be your guinnea pig, lol.
Did this ever happen? If not, would you mind a new comer joining in?

Got a custom sway coming in from SanerPrefab. have no mechanical skills but would love to learn how.

ty
Old 08-17-2006, 07:42 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by G-Mony

Got a custom sway coming in from SanerPrefab. have no mechanical skills but would love to learn how.

ty
I'm down to help you get the car in the air and get these things installed. Group install maybe?
Old 08-17-2006, 08:14 PM
nadir

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to join the club in a couple weeks ... just looking for the right sedan for me!

It's awesome and refreshing to see such camaraderie amongst local members here. While I have no "speciality", I can get by with basic noob jobs like brakes. The most headache maintenace I did on my maxima was changing the alternator ... but anything beyond that, I simply don't have the time or patience for. I don't know ... I always seem to have the worse luck (missing the 1 tool I need, the last bolt is frozen stuck, etc.) when it comes to repair work!

I'm looking forward to meet the local group in the next bay area meet. I'm in SJ btw.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:13 PM
bert039

Hey are you guys still meeting this weekend? Do you guys think it'd be cool, if you had time, to help me install my brakes? I have this set of OEM brakes I need installed BADLY. I've been putting it off forever, but now my current brakes are totally shot and are squeaking like hell. Please let me know, thanks!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:52 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm free all day saturday. If eric or someone else that's done brakes wants to help, that would be ideal since I've never done brakes.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:18 PM
skeleton_cru

Originally Posted by G-Mony

ty
Sorry man we did it last Saturday.

Quick Reply: Maintenance / Repair Help