Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

New 2009 G37x Owner Looking to Start Modding

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 05:56 PM
KellingFrenzy
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking New 2009 G37x Owner Looking to Start Modding

New G owner out of Fort Wayne, Indiana w/ roughly 130k miles.

Photo is minimal effort because it's cold and i'm embarrassed by the repainted front bumper.
This car is pretty much my daily driver, so my mods will be mostly cosmetic as I can't risk voiding my 4yr/48k extended warranty just yet.

I could definitely use some advice on mod priority.

I currently have a cat inefficiency CEL so I'm just gonna go ahead and replace those puppies with the Fast Intentions RHFCs first (will this throw a CEL Code?).

After that pretty much anything is fair game.

Currently hoping to go aftermarket on all 4 sides of the body (AK V1 or V2 Rear Diffuser, Skirts, and something w/ front), drop the height, get a 2nd set of rims for the warmer months (we get maybe 4 -_-), and potentially do a muffler delete & new tips.
I am open to any suggestions on manufacturers for just about anything as I enjoy doing the research and comparisons.

Aside from priorities, I could use some advice on what to do with the front bumper.
I believe the last owner reported hitting an animal (RIP), and ended up having the bumper repainted. *Will provide pictures later*
Whoever did it tried to blend it as well as they could to the original color at the very top by the headlights where it was unaffected.
There is no sign of actual damage via impact (dents, deep scratches, etc.) so technically I don't have to just throw the whole thing away.
It's an eyesore to me so something absolutely has to be done to match the paint to the rest of the car.
Do I:
1. Find someone to completely repaint it and just add a front lip kit? *I don't know whether this is possible or not*
2. Get a new, unpainted bumper for an 09' and have it painted and installed? OEM or aftermarket
3. Open to recommendations

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by KellingFrenzy; 02-22-2019 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Corrected Photo Addition
Old 02-22-2019, 04:49 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Welcome.

First off, mods do not negate your warranty unless the warrantor can prove the modification caused the warranty issue. See the Magnuson-Moss Act. That said, most power mods aren't dollar efficient. Suspension mods are better in that regard.

Solid-color cars are easier to paint match than those with metal flake. I don't if that red is a solid color.

Can't speak towards different bumper covers or splitters.
The following users liked this post:
KellingFrenzy (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 09:54 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site!
Fast Intentions use a reverse flow, elongated O2 port so CEL codes are rare w/ them (and they are very high quality).

I'd shop that front bumper around and see what various shops will do, be sure to get some good feedback from any shop you pick.

Nice spare tire wall ornament too!
The following users liked this post:
KellingFrenzy (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 12:12 PM
KellingFrenzy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Welcome.

First off, mods do not negate your warranty unless the warrantor can prove the modification caused the warranty issue. See the Magnuson-Moss Act. That said, most power mods aren't dollar efficient. Suspension mods are better in that regard.

Solid-color cars are easier to paint match than those with metal flake. I don't if that red is a solid color.

Can't speak towards different bumper covers or splitters.
The input is much appreciated. Suspension it is and I'll look into the Paint Code.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:14 PM
KellingFrenzy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site!
Fast Intentions use a reverse flow, elongated O2 port so CEL codes are rare w/ them (and they are very high quality).

I'd shop that front bumper around and see what various shops will do, be sure to get some good feedback from any shop you pick.

Nice spare tire wall ornament too!
I appreciate the peace of mind lol... I really just want the CEL to disappear.

That is my last resort spare wheel as the last owner curbed the hell out of it and it slowly leaks air