Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Help! Did I get ripped off??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:17 PM
Angela Earles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! Did I get ripped off??

im hoping someone on here can help me out. I’ve owned 5 g35/g37/q60 over the years and have never had his happen to me before.
I recently purchased a 2011 g37 sport manual in March with 71k miles. I knew I paid a little high at 18kbut I wanted a manual

fast forward to today, my budget is higher and I want a newer one. Found a 2015 beauty from Scottsdale that is being shipped. My problem? I’ve been told by several local dealers and car lots that my current g37 is only worth 7k

no modifications have been made since my purchase in March. Did I get royally ripped off by paying 18k??? I’m so confused!!! I thought fo sure I could get$15k at least. Help please!!!!!
Old 09-19-2018, 08:40 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
​​​​​​Is it a coupe or sedan? KBB estimates $9k-12k trade in for a sedan and $11k-14k for a coupe so $15k isn't realistic but it definitely sounds like they are low-balling you. I would assume partly because they aren't making any money off a sale so they are trying to widen their margin. Try your luck at CarMax if you have one nearby otherwise if you want top dollar you'll have to sell it yourself. You can also check out some of these: www.vroom.com www.carvana.com
The following users liked this post:
Angela Earles (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 09:16 AM
Angela Earles

Thanks for your response NealP! CarMax is who quoted me $7k. Theyre normally good but that was really low balling. I did find a specialty dealer who will pay 11k so Im happy with that.

also, its a Sport coupe with a number of after market adds including window tint, a second custom exhaust and brand new tires.

I guess I answered my own question with paying $18k in the first place....I over paid. I just thought these cars held their value more and that I wouldn't have to eat such a loss after owning it less than 5 months
Old 09-19-2018, 09:35 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I'm sorry to say, but any research would've told you otherwise. After the Q came out, the G's value sunk like a rock.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:39 AM
Angela Earles

thanks RMB This is my 4th G (last car was the Q) Ive driven these cars since they came out and had no idea the value dropped. I researched the price and looked and haggled with dealers nationwide for 3 months before deciding on this one. guess Im just dumb
Old 09-19-2018, 09:53 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
That's very unfortunate. The main reason this car came on my radar was due to the price drop. I figured it was too expensive until I actually started looking into them.

Just curious, why are you seeking to trade in your car for another 6MT coupe? The one you picked up seems to have decent mileage and some mods so why the push to get basically the same car?
Old 09-19-2018, 10:15 AM
Angela Earles

I got a bonus at work and can afford a newer one. I bought a beautiful 2015 with 22k miles. I knew that I would lose some money with trying to sell my current one, just never imagined it would be over half the cost I just paid. lesson learned I guess. so much for my bonus!
Old 09-19-2018, 12:54 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Angela Earles
Thanks for your response NealP! CarMax is who quoted me $7k. Theyre normally good but that was really low balling. I did find a specialty dealer who will pay 11k so Im happy with that.

also, its a Sport coupe with a number of after market adds including window tint, a second custom exhaust and brand new tires.

I guess I answered my own question with paying $18k in the first place....I over paid. I just thought these cars held their value more and that I wouldn't have to eat such a loss after owning it less than 5 months
I've had terrible luck at CarMax, frequently getting thousands more at neighboring dealers.

I'll be honest: CarMax does't want your car. They mostly deal in newer or niche cars. An almost 8 model year car, with a MT and 70K is going straight to auction. They won't warranty it, and it would be difficult for someone to finance being that old.

Sell it yourself! You can probably get $15K. I recently moved on from my G, and FWIW, the dealership offered me $11.4 on trade. I sold it on craigslist, locally, within a week.

Originally Posted by RMB5190
I'm sorry to say, but any research would've told you otherwise. After the Q came out, the G's value sunk like a rock.
Yup. The sedans got the double hit of the Q40 lease specials, then the Q50.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:05 PM
Angela Earles

Thanks Lego! I did post it last night on some local pages and already have an interested buyer at 14k. so its not as dark and gloomy for me as I first thought lol
Old 09-19-2018, 01:14 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Thanks Lego! I did post it last night on some local pages and already have an interested buyer at 14k. so its not as dark and gloomy for me as I first thought lol
Set a realistic price and be firm. I started out on the high side of KBB private party and came down. I bet you can do better than 14
Old 09-19-2018, 03:02 PM
Starter

Just a note for everyone. CarMax will never, ever, give you a fair price for your car. They will low ball you every time. Always sell the car yourself. Yes, it can be a hassle but you will pay dearly for the lack of same.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:12 PM
GdaddyNY
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Dealerships have a lot of overhead running costs so they will try to get money any way they can, because frankly, people just say OK I’ll do it when a car they’re interested in is involved. You have to negotiate. They lowball because people usually go for it. Even if you think you’re getting a great deal at a dealership, they are still making money. The House always wins.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:52 AM
Crusher103
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I've had terrible luck at CarMax, frequently getting thousands more at neighboring dealers.

I'll be honest: CarMax does't want your car. They mostly deal in newer or niche cars. An almost 8 model year car, with a MT and 70K is going straight to auction. They won't warranty it, and it would be difficult for someone to finance being that old.

Sell it yourself! You can probably get $15K. I recently moved on from my G, and FWIW, the dealership offered me $11.4 on trade. I sold it on craigslist, locally, within a week.
^This is wrong. I work at Carmax, that car, if nothing is wrong with it will be on the lot. Carmax wants to make atleast 5-6k off the car so its going to be listed for 15-16k. Carmax low ***** thats just what they do. We have like 4 08 G37 on the lot right now. We have a couple of 06 cars on the lot. The G37 market value is higher than its book value that is exactly what Carmax wants they can justify a very low offer because of the kbb then turn around and justify the high price due to market value. And they will warranty anything. Most other dealerships also work like this. The biggest problem with Carmax, that no haggle policy, they will not change the price/quote on anything. It is what it is.

Pretty much if you want to get your money back out of the car sell it yourself directly to person. Dealerships are only going to flip the car and make money off of you. i bought my car(08 S Coupe, 6spd, navi&bose, 82k) for 13k tax/tag/title, the PO took home 11k, most dealership around me were selling the same car for 17.5k tax/tag/title including the job with a 3k discount.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:28 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
thats jus how trade in initial offers are. they start really low. but if youre serious and want to buy a car from them they usually can throw in an extra grand lol but thats it. thats my experience. thats jus the trade in game for you. its like that everywhere. dealers arent trying to offer the most for ur trade in. they want to offer the least
Old 09-22-2018, 08:49 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I got a bonus at work and can afford a newer one. I bought a beautiful 2015 with 22k miles. I knew that I would lose some money with trying to sell my current one, just never imagined it would be over half the cost I just paid. lesson learned I guess. so much for my bonus!

What's a bonus? I have taken over the work of two other employees and gotten nothing but a 3% raise. I really should focus on my resume and get another job. I haven't been offered anything which is sad to me, but I make good money on stocks.

I bought my 2011 G37s with 158k miles at an Infiniti dealer for 10,200 I believe. If I were you I would sell private party and wait for either a Q50 or Q60. The Q60s are keeping their value, but the Q50s can be had for under 20k with the 3.0

You probably should have paid 14k for a 2011 in 2018 imho, so yes you did get ripped off. You should just sell it private party. I found a car I liked around July 2017, it was a 2014 Lexus IS350 with everything, Black on Black, clean title 88k miles 19k for the car I believe. I looked at my car and saw the dreaded dirty rear diff cover and thought, who is going to buy it, so I didn't even try. Turned out my diff bushing wasn't leaking.

I still have the car and plan on getting a Tesla in a few years, most people don't plan their trips to the gas station, but I do. I love the idea of just charging it with solar panels at home and other than worrying about getting home I can rip on it all day if I want.