Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

What to change? Just got it....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:19 AM
locosman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to change? Just got it....

Just picked up my 2012 G37x sedan yesterday. 18,400 km (I'm in Vancouver, Canada).

Taking it in on Monday to have the stock rims powder coated black, and the calipers done in Red. I should mention that I'm NOT a DIY kind of guy. Give me a hammer and I'll use the wrong end. I've changed my share of tires in my day, but if there's someone I can call, I will. lol.

As you can see in the pic, it's blue. Will be tinting the windows and also looking at:

vinyl black all chrome window trim

vinyl black the roof (and black or carbon fibre wrap the mirrors)

For the grill.... Plasti-dip the grill? Or just get it painted? Thoughts on doing the surrounding chrome or not?

Open to all comments and advice......

I'll post pics as it comes along......

Pic taken at delivery @ the dealer:
What to change? Just got it....-ekdfa4n.png
Old 09-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Plastidip is a quick way to get rid of the chrome, but paint is a much better method IMO.

New wheels, lower it and you'll be off to a great start

Nick C.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:15 PM
locosman

Hours on myg37 - lol

Ok, after reading through tons of posts and scrolling through amazing pics of everyone's rides, here's what I'm thinking on the blacking out...... no plasti-dip, just vinyl wrap. The question is Gloss Black everywhere, or mix in some CF?
And when I do the grill, should I do the surrounding chrome, or just the middle?

Wrap "shopping" list:

- carbon fiber vinyl wrap: grill (maybe the surrounding chrome, but not the emblem)
- carbon fiber vinyl wrap: the mirrors
- carbon fiber vinyl wrap: the rear spoiler

- gloss black vinyl: the roof excluding the antenna
- gloss black vinyl: all chrome window trim
- gloss black vinyl: rear valance (under-bumper)

Thoughts?
Old 09-05-2014, 11:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by locosman
Ok, after reading through tons of posts and scrolling through amazing pics of everyone's rides, here's what I'm thinking on the blacking out...... no plasti-dip, just vinyl wrap. The question is Gloss Black everywhere, or mix in some CF?
And when I do the grill, should I do the surrounding chrome, or just the middle?

Wrap "shopping" list:

- carbon fiber vinyl wrap: grill (maybe the surrounding chrome, but not the emblem)
- carbon fiber vinyl wrap: the mirrors
- carbon fiber vinyl wrap: the rear spoiler

- gloss black vinyl: the roof excluding the antenna
- gloss black vinyl: all chrome window trim
- gloss black vinyl: rear valance (under-bumper)

Thoughts?
Welcome to the site, congrats on the new X
I've wrapped most of that stuff on your list except the roof.
Should be a good mix although I'd either go carbon wrap or flat black for the bumper valance.

I think I'd include the antenna w/ your roof vinyl. I guess you could wrap it and leave it blue if you like the look

TBH I wouldn't put any money into painting the 17" wheels, I'd look into a nice set of 18 or 19" wheels and just use your 17s for a winter set.
There's a real nice set of gunmetal Z wheels in the classifieds right now FWIW
https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...-metallic.html
Old 09-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Not sure how I feel about the plan for red non-sport calipers. If you want to freshen up the calipers, I'd recommend either painting them with a fresh coat of silver, or upgrade to the Akebono BBK. I also don't think the wheels are going to look that great painted black. They are already small at 17" and will look very small painted black. I like Brad's suggestion to go for the Z wheels, that would be a huge improvement to the car. Once you black out the grille and trim, it would be a good idea to turn your attention to the headlight housings. Look into the work done here for ideas:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/lightin...-retrofit.html
Old 09-06-2014, 01:00 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Good catch^^
I glossed over the base calipers being painted, very much agree about keeping the base brakes subtle. Paint them like Ryne suggested, those colors will blend the brakes w/ the car and look nice rather than shout "hey look at my bright red dinky brakes". And his suggestions for headlight upgrades are good thoughts
Old 09-08-2014, 11:01 AM
locosman

calipers and rims

hmmmm, I might just toftt and try the red and black. I'll be the newbie willing to be embarrassed if it doesn't turn out. lol.

More than likely, I'll get a set of 19" or 20" 5 spokes in the spring and use these 17s until then. If the red calipers suck, I'll go back to silver then too.

thx for the tip on the valance. Getting that done (wrap work and tint) in two days at a local shop here in Vancouver.

Thx guys!

Trending Topics

Old 09-08-2014, 03:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by locosman
hmmmm, I might just toftt and try the red and black. I'll be the newbie willing to be embarrassed if it doesn't turn out. lol.

More than likely, I'll get a set of 19" or 20" 5 spokes in the spring and use these 17s until then. If the red calipers suck, I'll go back to silver then too.

thx for the tip on the valance. Getting that done (wrap work and tint) in two days at a local shop here in Vancouver.

Thx guys!
Look forward to pics when you get it done, have fun
Old 04-22-2017, 03:04 AM
locosman

3 year old update!

Ok, here I am back reviving a 3 year old thread. Seems I forgot to post the "After" pics. To save you scrolling up and down I'll try and post both here:

Before Pic: 2012 G37x with 18,400 km

After Pic -- taken 1 week later:
- Painted the wheels black
- Painted the calipers red
- tinted the windows front (50% light) and rear (28% light)
- vinyl wrapped the window chrome, roof, mirrors, front grill, rear spoiler and bottom of the rear bumper

Old 04-22-2017, 03:17 AM
locosman

Next up is getting some of the vinyl wrap touched up (chipped a bit on the window frame). Also thinking of doing black on the hood and rear trunk. Thoughts? Too much?

And the chrome on the emblem at the front has to go. I think that means plastidip right? Ditto for the chrome on the back.

And seeing as these tires are now worn out, it's time to bite the bullet and get some 19" wheels on here. I really like 5 spoke, so I'm thinking of the Vossen CV3 Graphite. I have tire/wheel questions but that's probably best done in a different thread/forum group.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:42 AM
zonnie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
where did you get the paint work done / wrapping?
Old 04-22-2017, 07:42 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Welcome back after 3 years
Good look you've got although I'd paint the calipers black since you don't really want to tell the world you've got the small base brakes

I'd keep the hood and trunk the factory color and the wheels should be a nice choice, although a lighter weight 19 wheel would be something I'd consider. And once you get the 19s you may want to lower your suspension a bit, it never ends, lol.

Glad you got back!
The following users liked this post:
locosman (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 12:00 PM
locosman

Originally Posted by zonnie
where did you get the paint work done / wrapping?
Renewz Wheel Refinishing (strangely their website name is slightly different - Renewz Wheel Repair) in North Vancouver on Esplanade. They actually turned out better than I thought they would.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:14 PM
locosman

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome back after 3 years
Good look you've got although I'd paint the calipers black since you don't really want to tell the world you've got the small base brakes

I'd keep the hood and trunk the factory color and the wheels should be a nice choice, although a lighter weight 19 wheel would be something I'd consider. And once you get the 19s you may want to lower your suspension a bit, it never ends, lol.

Glad you got back!

Thx for the feedback. Yeah, I'm on the fence about the hood and trunk. Might be too young.

For Vancouverites, I got my tint & wrapping done by Rene at Street Legal Tint in North Vancouver - Street Legal Tint & Detail - Auto Detailing in Vancouver. (No, it's not legal to tint the front windows (driver/passenger) like i did, which to me makes it even funnier that I got it done at Street Legal. lol). It's been 3 years and haven't been pulled over for it. (Knock on wood).