Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Newbie in Gilbert AZ!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:36 PM
chalmrast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie in Gilbert AZ!

Hello All,

Been "lurking" here for a month so since I bought my G37 Sedan! Lots of good info here.

My wife and I have been Nissan owners for years. We've had 3 Maximas, 1 Altima, and an Armada. My daily driver is a 2002 Maxima with 187K Miles!!!

Well, I had it into the dealer to clear up some fault codes (bad crank position sensors) and they had this 2011 G37 Coupe sitting there on the lot (up on one of those elevated pedestals). I thought, "man, that is one sweet ride."

After doing some research and finding the Consumers Reports listed it as the number 1 compact luxury sedan, and talking with a buddy who has one, my wife & decided to go back and see if it was still there. Well it was. It had 26k Miles and the price was $26,439.00. Being that it was an AutoNation-owned dealership they would not budge on the price.

We test drove it and it was much stiffer than I imagined. I told the salesman and he suggested I drive a 2.5L Altima. I drove it and it was nice. I then drove a Maxima they had sitting there and it was nice too. But, neither were as sporty or as beautiful as the G!

So we did some paper work and now I'm here!

Here are my thoughts after driving for a month:
  • Suspension is nice and very "stiff." If you are looking for the ride of a "Buick," this is not it. You will feel the paint lines on the road!
  • No AUX input for the radio. I did not even think about this at the dealership. The Ipod USB controls do work flawlessly though.
  • No Bluetooth audio play without the Nav system (which I do not have). However, the Bluetooth phone controls work great with the Iphone 4S. Calling using the car's controls are cumbersome though and there is no Ipod control via the steering wheel.
  • Back up camera is nice... would've liked the sensors too since we are so used to them on my wife's Armada.
  • No digital clock! A little tough to get used to, but you do get used to it!
  • Gearing is very sporty...again if you're looking for a "Buick," by a "Buick!"
  • Annoying Rattle: Took me about 3 weeks to find it.. tough to do when you're driving and it only happens over certain types of bumps. The culprit? The sunglasses storage!!

Since I bought it I had the windows tinted, removed the front license plate & plugged the holes with "Bumper Plugs," and ordered new floor mats (none came with the car ). Also only got one key fob.... bummer.

All-in-all, I'm very happy. My wife loves it and she has always disliked cars... she's the SUV type.

I'm not much into lowering it or doing many mods like that. I may look into a cat-back exhaust and perhaps some better air filters.

Wish I could find after-market floor mats with the Infiniti logo but it looks like they've shut down anyone who makes them over licensing issues. The dealer wanted $356 for mats and I said, "no thanks!"

Here are some pics the day we brought 'er home:
Attached Thumbnails Newbie in Gilbert AZ!-2012-03-25_18-01-42_910-1.jpg   Newbie in Gilbert AZ!-2012-03-25_18-47-35_962-1.jpg  
Old 04-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Sharkroy1

Welcome fellow AZer! Nice choice (and classy color), I think you will really like your G. I'm on my second one and I love 'em (came from Acura previously). It was also good to hear that your daily driver Maxima has 187k on it, and still going, 'cause my 08 G is kinda high mileage so I'm hoping it gets up to the high end with relatively little issues. Enjoy!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:27 PM
chalmrast

High mileage issues on any car are the struts, motor mounts, sensors, high pressure power steering, & possibly radiator.

My old Maxima still runs smooth as a top! Aside from it being a little "loosey goosey" on the suspension and interior problems it is still a great car.

Runs smooth, ice cold AC... all that you need in AZ!!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:33 PM
GRG37

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome is it hot down there yet.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Sharkroy1

99 today, still 94 degrees at 7:40 pm! It's gonna be a hot one this year, but hey, you know that already if you're in Vegas! (Took my former G35 to Vegas in March and it was already warm :O )
Old 04-23-2012, 04:14 AM
Ontario G37S

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome to the club!

The sunglass storage rattles for me too when I have a pair of glasses in there. I usually just take them out when I'm annoyed enough.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 PM
chalmrast

Originally Posted by Ontario G37S
Welcome to the club!

The sunglass storage rattles for me too when I have a pair of glasses in there. I usually just take them out when I'm annoyed enough.
Actually, mine rattles when it is empty. But it's only certain bumps and certain speeds.