Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Effects of 'slap shift'?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 01:10 AM
Corvalis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Effects of 'slap shift'?

Hello, since google could not provide me with any answers that I'm confident in, I figured I'd ask here. Sorry if this is just completely obvious. A newbies gotta start somewhere.

So, slap shifting, or whatever you want to call manually shifting on an auto trans... Is it bad for your transmission? I realize obviously it would not be put into a car if it was completely bad for it and was going to ruin the car. But can it be over done? I know you don't want your car reving so much that it sounds like it's going to explode, obviously.

I enjoy using it every once in a while, but I really don't know what it's doing to my car. If anyone can just explain what it does/can do to your car, that would be great. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2015, 08:35 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Corvalis
Hello, since google could not provide me with any answers that I'm confident in, I figured I'd ask here. Sorry if this is just completely obvious. A newbies gotta start somewhere.

So, slap shifting, or whatever you want to call manually shifting on an auto trans... Is it bad for your transmission? I realize obviously it would not be put into a car if it was completely bad for it and was going to ruin the car. But can it be over done? I know you don't want your car reving so much that it sounds like it's going to explode, obviously.

I enjoy using it every once in a while, but I really don't know what it's doing to my car. If anyone can just explain what it does/can do to your car, that would be great. Thanks!
Welcome to the site, luckily these newer transmissions have rev protection fail-safes built in so they're set up for slapping the transmission around. The transmission will only downshift to the point were it's safe for the drivetrain. But common sense should also be applied, if you're constantly doing hard braking and get jolting rev-matched downshifts to help slow the car this will put strain on many of the driveline parts over time, so have fun, but I wouldn't go berserk.
The following users liked this post:
Corvalis (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 05:46 PM
Corvalis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site, luckily these newer transmissions have rev protection fail-safes built in so they're set up for slapping the transmission around. The transmission will only downshift to the point were it's safe for the drivetrain. But common sense should also be applied, if you're constantly doing hard braking and get jolting rev-matched downshifts to help slow the car this will put strain on many of the driveline parts over time, so have fun, but I wouldn't go berserk.
AH interesting, thank you.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:56 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
One gets all sorts of NSFW results when googling 'slap that tranny'

Quite a different set of results for 'slap that transmission'.
The following users liked this post:
Corvalis (08-07-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 06:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
OMG, that's funny ^^
Old 08-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
One gets all sorts of NSFW results when googling 'slap that tranny'

Quite a different set of results for 'slap that transmission'.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:46 PM
Herostar
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with the above posts... it should be fine, just don't rev-match downshift to slow down all the time.

I've had a couple scares where I pulled the wrong paddle and it down-shifted to 6500 RPM!!! So pay attention.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:50 PM
MistahGuy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's even worse with the +/- on the shifter itself... They are intuitively backwards, especially myself coming from a Mazda that had it opposite from the G37. I've downshifted to 6000+ RPM a few times as well as "downshifting" in first to only stay in first and get up to 6000+ RPM. I'll learn eventually!
Old 08-06-2015, 04:36 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Some other things on the infiniti are backwards too. To fast forward a playing mp3, you need to press/hold the down button on the radio rather than the up button.

I probably wouldn't be doing any aggressive maneuvers until you've gotten a good feel of the car.