NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

Amplifier questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 12:00 PM
G-Tofu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amplifier questions

I am looking to buy a tube-amp/power amp but don't know how these work compare to the receivers. any experts in "home audio" please help the noob out.

1) do i need pre-amp in order to use power amp?

2) how does this combo work?

Please help
Old 12-09-2006, 01:13 PM
FusionGT

it depends on what kind of speaker u have. i have B&k reference with Martin Logan speakers and the sound quality is superb!
Old 12-09-2006, 01:52 PM
G-Tofu

^^I have a full set (5-speakers) of B&W.... and i am looking to get either Marantz/Mcintosh Amp for these. I heard Mctosh once and it was very impressive. any ideas how power-amp and pre-amp work?
Old 12-09-2006, 08:11 PM
wnt1bd

Ahhh I love audio..........Depending on what you are using the system for......2 channel audio, you will need just the Tube amp.......now if you choose to go the home theater route, then you may need multiple tube amps to power a multi channel system.....most tube amps are 2 channel. Now why are you limiting yourself to tube amps? Digital amps reproduse sound better with quality speakers.

Also, before you go and invest in an amp......keep in mind an amp just provides power....the speakers are what reproduce sound....spend money on speakers and get a decent amp and you will be better off.

I currently have a 7 channel Yamaha aa/v reciever with Definitive Technolgy towers, sides, rears, and backs, and center.

You need to figure out what you want to do fiest, keep us posted!!!
Old 12-09-2006, 09:06 PM
G-Tofu

^^Thanks bro for the info about tube-amp. I saw & heard it once but did not have a clue how tube-amp works. These are what I am having.

1) Front: 6 series
2) rear: 3 series
3) center:
4) Sub: 600w
http://www.bwspeakers.co.nz/index-inner.html

I was using Sony Receiver and it turned bad about 1 month agon while I was moving. Now, i am searching for an amp (either power-amp or receiver) so far I have 2 in mind Marantz SR series (http://www.avrev.com/equip/marantz/) and Mcintosh tube-power-amp (vintage). i am clear about tube-amp cuz I thought it can be converted to multi-channels by using pre-amp. you should listen to Tube-amp once..... it's crystal clear but the amp looks so ugly (http://www.audioweb.com/Ad/AdInfo.asp?adid=155297) and heavy (114lb) . i'll keep up the update.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:16 PM
FusionGT

lot's of good infos on new speakers and receivers
http://www.audioholics.com/
Old 12-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Virge
straight to the bank...

I have the Marantz Sr7400 hooked up to Def Tech 7 speaker system (2 floorstanding, 1 center, 4 surrounds, no sub yet thinking about SVS )

The sound quality is amazing. If you can get past the learning curve on the Marantz thats the way to go imo.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:39 PM
fcarpio

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
The amp is ONLY going to provide the power for the system. The pre-amp is going to allow you to use multiple sources and to control your volume, balance, and maybe treble and bass. You could also look into getting an integrated amplifier which is an amp and a pre-amp in one chasis. Marantz and McIntosh do not compare. McIntoshes are far superior.

Also, tube amplifiers require a lot of mainteance. The tubes wear off (just like a light bulb) and they are very expensive to replace. When you replace the tubes you have to tune the amplifier, and that can be pricey too. Just get a GOOD solid state amplifier and you will not go wrong. Look into Krell, Mark Levinson, Cello, Aragon, McIntosh, etc. Since these amps have no moving parts and have protection circuitry, getting a used one that is in good shape is not a bad idea.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:13 PM
G37RacerX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy 13 month old thread resurrection Batman!
I still just absolutely love my Anthem AVM 20