Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Recommendations for Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 09:37 AM
jrb55gh
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
For what its worth. My 370 has the stock intake. I measured the vacuum at 7300 rpm full throttle in the upper intake plenum with a stock replacement Napa gold air filter at 17mm hg. The vacuum dropped to 15mm hg with the R2C black hex filters. These hi flow filters offer less pressure loss in the intake. The only drawback to hi flow filters is the lower filtering efficiencies resulting in more dirt ingested into the engine. Good stock air filters have filtering efficiencies in the 98-99% range. The hi flows have filtering efficiencies in the mid to low 90's. More dirt = faster ring wear.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:23 AM
DeanMachine
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jrb55gh
For what its worth. My 370 has the stock intake. I measured the vacuum at 7300 rpm full throttle in the upper intake plenum with a stock replacement Napa gold air filter at 17mm hg. The vacuum dropped to 15mm hg with the R2C black hex filters. These hi flow filters offer less pressure loss in the intake. The only drawback to hi flow filters is the lower filtering efficiencies resulting in more dirt ingested into the engine. Good stock air filters have filtering efficiencies in the 98-99% range. The hi flows have filtering efficiencies in the mid to low 90's. More dirt = faster ring wear.
That's good info to have in general. Is the filter efficiency proportion vs. stock the same with conical on a CAI as well? Seems like it would be. Filter efficiency vs. flow rate is a natural trade-off.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:03 PM
jrb55gh
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Dean... You are correct In every test I have seen the general trend is:The pressure drop decreases as the filtering efficiency decreases. The way to get low pressure drop and high filtering efficiency is to use high efficiency media and increase the filter area.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:01 PM
MJaga
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DeanMachine
That's good info to have in general. Is the filter efficiency proportion vs. stock the same with conical on a CAI as well? Seems like it would be. Filter efficiency vs. flow rate is a natural trade-off.
Beware of R2C. I needed to order replacement filters and as of 6 weeks ago the vendors on here do not sell them because R2C was not shipping orders timely.

I ordered direct thru R2C and over a month later, still nothing. I couldn't even get them to reply with an order status. I eventually had to file a claim via paypal and R2C refunded me almost instantly, no reason or explanation noted.

I have had my R2C CAI for about 3 years and there is already significant rust on the heat shields and cracking in the tubes. Granted, I don't keep my car showcar clean, but I am now going to just revert back to stock intakes.

I have used K&N intakes on vehicles in the past with no issues, though I can't speak to them on G37's.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:07 PM
DeanMachine
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MJaga
Beware of R2C. I needed to order replacement filters and as of 6 weeks ago the vendors on here do not sell them because R2C was not shipping orders timely.

I ordered direct thru R2C and over a month later, still nothing. I couldn't even get them to reply with an order status. I eventually had to file a claim via paypal and R2C refunded me almost instantly, no reason or explanation noted.

I have had my R2C CAI for about 3 years and there is already significant rust on the heat shields and cracking in the tubes. Granted, I don't keep my car showcar clean, but I am now going to just revert back to stock intakes.

I have used K&N intakes on vehicles in the past with no issues, though I can't speak to them on G37's.
Thanks for the heads up - I just have the R2C drop-ins at this point. Got them about a week after I ordered. Either I got super lucky or it's only a problem with the conical/CAI.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:15 PM
MJaga
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DeanMachine
Thanks for the heads up - I just have the R2C drop-ins at this point. Got them about a week after I ordered. Either I got super lucky or it's only a problem with the conical/CAI.
I stand corrected. As I sent that I received a delivery of the conical filters from R2C. So while it did take over a month to receive, they did come and seem to be high quality.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
There have been dyno tests showing that drop in panels offer roughly the same performance as full intake systems on this car. Gains are mainly above 6000rpm.

I'd just do drop ins and remove the silencers or, if you want to go for looks, add some silicone tubes. The factory intake is very well designed and the dual intake setup provides plenty of air for this engine in factory format.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:00 PM
airanp
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Victory
There have been dyno tests showing that drop in panels offer roughly the same performance as full intake systems on this car. Gains are mainly above 6000rpm.

I'd just do drop ins and remove the silencers or, if you want to go for looks, add some silicone tubes. The factory intake is very well designed and the dual intake setup provides plenty of air for this engine in factory format.
I just put K&N drop ins in my car over the weekend. It does sound a tiny bit better but nothing big. Butt dyno told me it performed better too...Jk. I am curious about the silencers. Could you tell me where they are and maybe a pic. I have' really looked to much myself but I am about 100,000 miles so I am going to change the plugs and clean the throttle bodies so I would just take them out at the same time.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:59 PM
Kpmikey808
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Admin tuning by Saul & uprev

I follow tuner Saul & moncef with admin tuning
these numbers don’t lie - 308whp with just admin intake & uprev tune

gonna try & get my car dynoed before & after with these intakes

Huge gains
Old 12-12-2017, 12:54 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Is there a way to make the stock intakes louder? That is all I really want out of an intake, especially considering some of them actually lose power.

Has anyone measured IATs on the K&N Typhoon? I've seen some Ebay replicas with the heat shield and I'd like to know if they actually work. Also do they need the stock hood insulation to make a full seal? I took mine out for more intake sound