Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Recommendations for Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:24 PM
Quiver
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Recommendations for Intakes

I need some suggestions on good intakes for around the $400 range. I originally put an order in for R2C but 4 months down the road they still haven't shipped them out, so the store I purchased through went ahead and cancelled/refunded my order.

So... what are some good intakes in this price range? I'm not necessarily looking for the most HP gain or anything like that. Mainly just looking for something that looks nice and gives the car a little deeper sound.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:46 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Between $4-500, I would go with AAM, Stillen, and Takeda in that order And, I actually might have my R2C's up for sale here shortly if you give me a couple of weeks to source my stock intake.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:50 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I figure I will just get a Silicone Tube and some drop ins. Found these ones for $16 each, wonder if the R2Cs really flow that much better.

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-16-2017, 12:40 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Your #1 Infiniti Vendor!

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Takeda ! We have many in stock!! Great pricing as well.

-Josh
Old 08-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Brand of your choice. I would only consider long tube intakes personally. Stillen G3 probably one of the most popular. $400 brand new/shipped if you look around online.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:10 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
If I could manufacture some, I would probably have Aluminum wrapped with Silicone. That way you have strength with heat resistance. Aluminum cools off fast, but doesn't resist heat well. There are some K&Ns that are plastic, would probably handle heat better, don't know about the long term of being under the hood.

The R2C claims to be pretty non-restrictive, the other ones I am looking look like AEM knockoffs. Both don't require oil.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:13 PM
04gtoryder
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I picked up the injen SRI and I love them. I bought them solely for the sound and they do not disappoint in that department. Gives the car a very nice growl on mid to high rpm hard acceleration that was missing in stock form. Cost less that $300 shipped to my door.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:15 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
If you want actual gains, small as they might be, get a true long tube CAI. But that means you need to cut a hole for ventilation.

Honestly, I think most the intakes in each style are pretty comparable with their competitors. Short ram vs short ram, long tube vs long tube. More important is your aesthetic preference. You're talking about 1-2HP difference.

I personally just went for sound.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:12 PM
Quiver
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kroy
If you want actual gains, small as they might be, get a true long tube CAI. But that means you need to cut a hole for ventilation.

Honestly, I think most the intakes in each style are pretty comparable with their competitors. Short ram vs short ram, long tube vs long tube. More important is your aesthetic preference. You're talking about 1-2HP difference.

I personally just went for sound.
Yeah, I’m mainly just looking for sound as well since I don’t have a bunch of other mods anyway that affect power. What SRI did you end up going with?
Old 08-18-2017, 07:34 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I got a K&N typhoon. I thought it sounded pretty good. When you open up the throttle, it makes this whining noise of air going through the pipes; I thought it sounded super cool.

Side note. After getting Ark exhaust, I can barely hear my intake at low/mid throttle.

I would look up a lot of different youtube vids and compare which sound you like best. Try to listen to stock cars with intake as other mods may convolute the sound. Be sure to listen to in cabin videos too.

Just go for what you think sounds best. That's my opinion.

But if you want performance, go with long tube CAI.

If you want a little performance gain and don't care about sound, get the K&N drop in filters. More airflow and is just a replacement for filter inside your stock air box.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:17 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
IF you're going to get a tune, go AAM. If you have NO plans for a tune, go Stillen. The only other option, and they're now hard to find, is the Nismo R-Tune. Same diameter tubing and MAF adapter as the AAM but it works best with a tune. The other advantage is the filters are never exposed to rain/road grime like the others and they have dry break valves if the ends of the filters become immersed in water.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:30 PM
Raffi D
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
$400 range? I bought my Stillen brand new for $450 last year. I'm pretty pleased with it although install was annoying.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:47 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
keep the stock system and add high flowing elements ie drop ins in em..
Old 11-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by micafd3s
Agree with that upgrading to the silicone intake is nice combo
Old 11-07-2017, 03:39 PM
DeanMachine
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by micafd3s
That's what I'm doing. Recently added the R2C drop-ins and will be throwing these HPS tubes on in the coming weeks.

Don't get me wrong - I love the way the aftermarket CAIs look and sound, but after a lot of time spent researching the often minuscule gains, I've decided that there are other places I'd like to put my money on this car.