Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

My coupe got a bypass!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:04 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Bro, you're honestly doing it wrong, how can you tell how much you gained if you have nothing to reference too?

Yes power on a stock G is also nice and linear, what's your point?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Lecewicz
I will be publishing the video and the dyno results of my setup. The dyno was done this morning on a Mustang brand machine. The guy had told me his dyno is the lowest reading machine in the area and the true results should always be in the 10% plus bracket. He had told me the guys with 370z he had tested showed 10-15% less on his machine versus the other readings.
As the general remarks the dyno guy was very impressed with the straight power climb of this car without some major power curves.
Watch for the video as soon as it downloads to my You Tube.
I was trying to search for dyno results of the other members to get some comparison snapshots of the printouts of Mustang dyno tests.
the dyno is just a tuning tool, nothing more nothing less. Who cares if it reads high or low? All that matters is the change/gain/loss.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:17 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
No before dyno = fail.

this.

If you didnt do a before dyno, for all you know, you could have LOST 10hp due to this mod. Dyno's are a tuning tool and all they will give you is a CURRENT snapshot of your car. If you have nothing to compare it to, you dont know if you have gained, or even lost, hp or tq.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:57 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This last picture illustrates this particular session. 275.5 hp to the wheels on Mustang dyno. Some people say the actual hp is up to 20% higher.
Watch the end of the video for final readings including the torque.

YouTube - Infiniti G37s coupe 275hp to the wheels dyno test Mustang dyno
Old 04-17-2010, 01:02 AM
Mike

That number means nothing with a baseline. We have no idea how the dyno reads. As stated, only the gains/losses matter.

If actual flywheel hp is 20% higher, that comes out to.... 330.6, which is... stock.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:29 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Again, no before dyno =fail. There is nothing to compare it to.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:00 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by Mike
That number means nothing with a baseline. We have no idea how the dyno reads. As stated, only the gains/losses matter.

If actual flywheel hp is 20% higher, that comes out to.... 330.6, which is... stock.
Again, no before dyno =fail. There is nothing to compare it to.
So what are your dyno readings gentlemen? I had 2 tests before [when I bought my car] but they were so low [ 257 hp to the wheels and 263 hp] I didn't take them seriously figuring there was something wrong with the machine. My friends GTI with a chip had tested 247 hp the same time.
I'm sure there are Mustang dyno results for the coupe somewhere and they can't be drastically different otherwise it wouldn't make any sense to dyno test.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:10 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Were those 257 and 263 on that exact dyno with very similar conditions? If so then you might have something to go off of other wise it doesnt matter. There are too many factors involved to just compare to what other people have got. The exact dyno used, weather, altitude, if they had fans blowing on the car, hood up/down even the car itself. There's just too many variables to try to accuratly compare to something else.

I got mine dyno'd last summer. Averaged around 257 on a mustang dyno, but this was middle of summer with 105 degree temps high humidity and no fans going.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:35 AM
Mike

So what are your dyno readings gentlemen? I had 2 tests before [when I bought my car] but they were so low [ 257 hp to the wheels and 263 hp] I didn't take them seriously figuring there was something wrong with the machine. My friends GTI with a chip had tested 247 hp the same time.
I'm sure there are Mustang dyno results for the coupe somewhere and they can't be drastically different otherwise it wouldn't make any sense to dyno test.
I don't think you understand the value of a dyno as a tool for tuning/measuring gains.

Numbers from different dynos are not comparable.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:09 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Were those 257 and 263 on that exact dyno with very similar conditions? If so then you might have something to go off of other wise it doesnt matter. There are too many factors involved to just compare to what other people have got. The exact dyno used, weather, altitude, if they had fans blowing on the car, hood up/down even the car itself. There's just too many variables to try to accuratly compare to something else.

I got mine dyno'd last summer. Averaged around 257 on a mustang dyno, but this was middle of summer with 105 degree temps high humidity and no fans going.
I didn't pay attention to those details. As I recall it it was about the same time 10-11 am. February was much colder but it is Florida so probably close to 70-75F. There were no fans blowing at my car cause he turn them on at my friends VW since it was running hot. First run was 263 and second 257. I think it was a different gear run or something like that. I guess it was a comparable session to the current one but I didn't realize the details. Actually I was quite pissed off about the results and the discrepancy with the manufacturer data I tossed the printout into the guys backyard. The car had hardly any miles on it but not very many now maybe 1500. As you probably know my present mods are Drilled filter holders, K&N filters and the bypass pipes. I ran the extra grounding wires but I don't think it would have any influence on the HP. I don't remember the torque but I think it was close to 230 maybe 227 or so, way lower than the present reading. I will have another test next week since we've put a stinger pipe in the exhaust- see another post. The sound dynamics are tremendous now from a gentle low to a big roar at full open.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:16 AM
Mike

The dyno should be correcting for weather.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:17 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Mustang dyno dispute

I don't think you understand the value of a dyno as a tool for tuning/measuring gains.

Numbers from different dynos are not comparable.
That is quite correct I don't but I learn quickly so elaborate.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:20 AM
Greg Lecewicz

The dyno should be correcting for weather.
What exactly do you mean?
Old 04-17-2010, 03:34 AM
Danny@Limited Edition
Former Sponsor

Wow, I like the sound. I like this mod and I like what Greg is doing, experimenting, although however unusual it may seem.

There are tons of info on how to correctly interpret/use a dyno reading. It can be pretty lengthy but generally you want to have a baseline reading then another reading with the mods installed. Compare the 2 to see how much you have gained or lost after installing the mods. That's why people are saying the modded run is useless if there's no baseline to compare to.

So it makes sense that you want to do the baseline run and the modded run under similar conditions to eliminate all factors (or as much as possible) other than the modifications you've put on. This way you'll truly test the effects of those mods, while keeping all other factors (air temp, humidity...etc) as constant as possible between runs. All those external factors (air temp, humidity...etc) can and will affect the dyno reading.

Mike was referring to that dynos usually take into consideration of those external factors and correct the final reading accordingly. But it's always nice to keep track of the testing conditions for more accuracy.

Example:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...-dyno-fun.html
Old 04-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Mike

What exactly do you mean?
The dyno should be connected to some basic weather module, that can compensate for relative humidity, air density/pressure (barometer), and temperature.

PV = nRT.

Higher pressure and colder air makes more power, given that all other conditions are identical, including the car and mods.