General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Avoiding VDC and SLIP light with clock spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 03:23 PM
Take_This_L
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avoiding VDC and SLIP light with clock spring replacement

I’m looking to replace my clock spring and my angle sensor and I wanted to avoid getting any lights after the install. I’ve heard of others having that problem which I’d like to avoid.

has anyone done this before? if it does happen to me can I reset the lights with a casual Bluetooth scanner?

my whole reason for replacing both parts is because I’m taking an assembly off of a parts car and I don’t wanna mess around with taking off my old angle sensor and attaching it to the new clock spring. It’d be easier to do a simple swap (both clock spring and angle sensor from the parts car)

any help would be appreciated thank you!!
Old 12-12-2021, 12:49 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,017 Posts
I can only share from my experience after having replaced mine to facilitate my Q60 wheel swap. Like you mentioned, it is easier to swap both as one assembly than try separating the two. Keep in mind that only the SAS has any input on the VDC system, not the clockspring itself.

It is imperative to make sure that the wiring / pin outs from the donor (parts) car matches your car and that the battery is disconnected before doing any work. There are only 4 wires going to the SAS: power, ground, and CAN L & H.

I know some have had the VDC and SLIP lights issue, but I believe that was the result of a separate problem not directly related to just swapping out parts. However, I can not say this for certainty.

The FSM says that the SAS needs to be "recalibrated" after replacing, however, I did not have to do this. After everything was buttoned up and the battery reconnected, everything was "straight" and operated as intended.