General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help! Rear License Plate Screws Keep Spinning

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 08:25 AM
ZzBloopzZ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Help! Rear License Plate Screws Keep Spinning

All,

I just moved to a new state and was issued new plates. However, I was shocked to discover that I can't get my rear license plate off because the two top screws just keep spinning when trying to loosen. Apparently this is notorious issue with certain Nissan/Infiniti models from googling and I tried the following tips with no luck:

I tried:
- Pulling the license plate upwards and towards me while trying to loosen the screws.
- Using Pliers to pull the screw towards me while unscrewing.
- Pulled up the plate and tried to reach around to see if I can feel a nut but nope, looks like it is the end of the screw which is sharp. I tried using a wrench to push the screw while unscrewing but hard to do it by myself.

Also, from searching around. It seems the replacement screw holder part number is: 01241-00881. However, all the Infiniti Parts websites say that this is only for G37 Coupes. I have a 2013 G37X Sedan. Anyone happen to know proper part number? I can't find any diagrams that show the rear or front plate part surprisingly.

Unfortunately, I live in an apartment so don't have access to any power. I do have a Dewalt Battery powered Drill, I wonder if there is an attachment I can buy from Home Depot to cut off the bolts as I think that is now my last resort correct?

For the part number above, which not sure if it is the same for my G37X Sedan but assuming it is then it looks like the back of screw actually does have a nut but enclosed in plastic. I found this picture (attached) so I wonder if I can somehow lift the license plate up and jam something to stop nut from spinning then I should be able to get out the screw correct?

I called the only close Infiniti dealer near me in my new state (PA) and they said they would have to charge $100/hour!! Forget that. I would really appreciate some pointers here. Can't believe I am struggling with something so simple.

Nut around plastic housing it seems?

Last edited by ZzBloopzZ; 12-10-2021 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,609 Likes on 3,451 Posts
Do you have a hacksaw? Remove the blade from its holster, hold it in your fingers, slip it between the bolt head and the license plate, and go to town.

I would like to say get in the habit of removing the plate bolts once a year and lubricate them so this never happens again, but then I'd be guilty of not taking my old advice.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:52 AM
ZzBloopzZ
Registered Member

Hello,

I do not have a hacksaw, I just got married and used to use my dads tools but now he is several hours away. Time to grow up and get my own stuff.

Would this work? https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1...0552/205049944

One issue perhaps. I have a black license plate cover that borders around the plate. There is the Bolt, then the plastic cover underneath then bumper. Should the hacksaw be able to cut through the plastic or should I try to find a way to snap it off then there would be a little gap between the bolt head and whatever it is tightened into?

Thank you so much for your support. It means alot to me. Been a super stressful week for me.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:59 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Grab yourself something like this:
Amazon Amazon

That's the correct part # - will work with the sedan. You'll need a new screw as well if you cut your existing one off. Part #: 08340-61608

Edit: Congratulations on the marriage! Also want to add - I'd look into grabbing a Dremel 3000 (for when you eventually have power). They're about 50 bucks and come in handy in a lot of scenarios.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:59 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,609 Likes on 3,451 Posts
^^^
That would be far easier than cramping up your fingers after 10 minutes with a hacksaw blade.

Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ
I do not have a hacksaw, I just got married and used to use my dads tools but now he is several hours away. Time to grow up and get my own stuff..
LOL, I remember those days. It's all relative, man. You get stuff as you need it, and you make compromises based on what you can afford in the moment. Don't sweat it.

The #1, do-it-all tool that every young person should own at the start is a simple cordless screwdriver with a variety of bits. You'll be invincible.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:10 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 724 Likes on 562 Posts
I got rid of almost all of these plastic threaded clips and replaced them with the metal ones.
You can find plenty at Junkyards or even buy them new.
These with a brand new bolt will last for a long time and it will not go anywhere.

Old 12-13-2021, 11:36 PM
ZzBloopzZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Edit: Congratulations on the marriage! Also want to add - I'd look into grabbing a Dremel 3000 (for when you eventually have power). They're about 50 bucks and come in handy in a lot of scenarios.
Thank you so much for the kind words and the advice on removing the plate. It was a huge stress off my shoulders. Didn't want to drive 45 minutes one way and then wait 1-2 hours and pay $100 to get dealer to remove.

Just wanted to post an update. A friend came over to assist and I could see the nut kept spinning around the plastic casing which I could see by lifting up the plate and looking behind with a flash light. After trying for 30 minutes to hold nut in place with vice grips, screw drivers etc it just kept spinning and we gave up. I ended up just using a hacksaw and cut the bolts by hand. It was a huge pain and tiring. Friend and I took turns but got both bolts cut off in about 15 minutes. Once the bolts are cut off it is easy to take off the old plastic clips and replace. I did notice that the bolts were bit bigger than the nuts so maybe that's why this issue happen.

I'm glad I was able to buy replacement bolts and plastic clips ahead of time. Also used some anti-seize paste on the bolts so hopefully next time won't run into this issue again. For anyone curious, I have attached an image of what it looks like when you remove the plate after cutting off the bolts. I circled where the plate bolts go in and where to put in the replacement plastic clips. I couldn't find a image for reference before so may help others.

Part Numbers Needed (Online parts catalog says these do not fit the G37X Sedan, but they actually do perfectly.):
2x Bolts: 01241-00881
2x Screws: 08340-61608

Thanks again to every single person helping me. I truly appreciate it and really love this community.

Last edited by ZzBloopzZ; 12-14-2021 at 12:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RMB5190 (12-14-2021)