General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

2013 G37x - noise / oil leak / steering column

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:58 PM
shiftz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 G37x - noise / oil leak / steering column

I purchased my 2013 G37x in Oct 2013. We have about 5500 miles on it now.

After the first oil change, an oil leak appeared just behind the passenger side time chain cover.

Shortly after purchase, the steering column would have top-to-bottom play in it after it indexes from its retracted position to the normal use position. When you would grab the top of the steering wheel it would move about a 3/8" downward. I found this problem present in two other G37 cars of similar model years.

The last six months or so, I would hear a creaking noise when starting from a full stop or stopping and especially when the gas tank was less than 1/2 full. After driving on a steep hill, the gas tank seem to have shifted a bit and the noise would occur no matter what level the fuel was in the tank.

Solutions:

The oil leak was fixed by removing and resealing the passenger side timing change cover. The mess the tech left behind was unbelievable. He also seems to have placed for small nicks in the front fascia near where the hood seal is located.

The steering column "play" was resolved by replacing the steering column. That was the same solution for the other G37 cars that had this same issue.

The creaking noise took 3 days of the tech(s) driving the car and they finally dropped the gas tank and added some insulation between the tank and the body of the car. They also repositioned the passenger side tank strap that was out of the "groove" it was intended to be in. So far, the noise is gone. It was extremely annoying in stop-and-go traffic.