General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

real quick oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:28 AM
abice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
real quick oil change question

Hey guys i use full synthetic oil, i'm sick of going to the dealer to pay them to do an easy oil change, is changing the oil on a 48K dollar infiniti any different than changing the oil on lets say a mustang or pontiac or dodge????

like its over 100 dollars for me to do an oil change the oil it self is like 50 something then the dealer charges another 40 bucks for an oil change, is this something i could do in my garage, i just haven't really looked for the oil filter below yet, is it in an easy location to find, once i've found that is there anything else i need to worry about?

i would unscrew filter let old oil drip into a pan, check seals make sure there is no o-ring left behind then lube new filter with some new oil screw in the new filter, and then go on top to the engine bay and add the new quarts of oil...

correct process right? even for my G37

and is there anything i will need to add to the oil since it is full synthetic?
i use Royal Purple
Old 08-12-2010, 10:33 AM
DmfG37sTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Oil Change:

Step 1. Take off oil cap
Step 2. Drain oil from oil pan
Step 3. Remove filter with o-ring
Step 4. put in oil plug.
Step 5. Rub some oil around the o-ring of the new oil filter.
Step 6. Install new oil filter.
Step 7. Once everything is tight and ready to go start adding oil (whichever you choost)
Step 8. Start the car. Get back under the car check for leaks and make sure everything is sealed.
Step 9. Turn car back off and check dipstick for correct oil level.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:01 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
don't forget you will need to buy a new copper crush washer as well
Old 08-12-2010, 11:17 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I intend on doing my own oil changes after the dealer does the first 2 for free, with a coupon they gave me.
The best procedure is to do the oil change while the engine is still warm. I don't know how the oil filter sits on the G. If it is fairly vertical, prefill the new filter with oil before installing it.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:20 AM
DmfG37sTT

Originally Posted by movinon
I intend on doing my own oil changes after the dealer does the first 2 for free, with a coupon they gave me.
The best procedure is to do the oil change while the engine is still warm. I don't know how the oil filter sits on the G. If it is fairly vertical, prefill the new filter with oil before installing it.
You dont need to prefill the filter before installing it on the car. (hint why I said lube the o-ring with oil.) the filter sits horizontal to the oil pan. no real way to fill the filter without getting oil everywhere trying to install it.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:23 AM
abice

what's a copper crush washer, and where does it go? and where is the oil filter is it in that opening right under the engine it's mostly all plastic panels under there but then there is like a 4" X 4" opening would the oil filter be in there or do i have to unscrew panels under there to reveal the oil filter and plug
Old 08-12-2010, 11:25 AM
DmfG37sTT

Yes, its like a flap that you can move out of the way but I wouldnt take it completly off. Once the bolts are removed your able to move it back and get to the plug and filter.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:28 AM
abice

oh so just like unscrew one side of it and hold it back out of the way to get in there and let the oil drain, what's he talking about with the copper crush washer thing?? never heard of that the way you describe it i know what's going on i've never heard of a copper crush washer is that an infiniti thing
Old 08-12-2010, 11:32 AM
DmfG37sTT

To be honest I have no idea what he is talking about either...unless its like a normal washer that goes onto the drain plug...only thing I can think of.

Hope he can come back and exsplain lol
Old 08-12-2010, 11:33 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by abice
what's a copper crush washer, and where does it go? and where is the oil filter is it in that opening right under the engine it's mostly all plastic panels under there but then there is like a 4" X 4" opening would the oil filter be in there or do i have to unscrew panels under there to reveal the oil filter and plug
a copper crush washer is exactly what it sounds like lol it's a washer made of copper that gets replaced with the plug. You are supposed to replaced the copper crush washer each time you change the oil...it costs like $0.75 at Autozone for 3

and yeah I would take off the plastic guard all the way and then you will have plenty of room to work with it

page 8-9:8-11 of the manual gives you a DIY
Old 08-12-2010, 11:52 AM
abice

ah okay ill remember that time to go buy the oil thanks guys
Old 08-13-2010, 12:32 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only thing you missed in your original post was unscrewing the drain plug to drain the oil. You want drain from there, not from where the filter unscrews (well it will drain from both places actually). The drain plug is on the bottom and the filter is on the side so you probably would be left with some oil in the pan otherwise.

As for the copper crush washer:

WASHER-DRAIN PLUG - 370Z (Z34) 2009+ Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

That's what you need. ^^ I bought a 10-pack from that place. Or just get them from your local dealership.

You unscrew the old washer from the drain plug and put a new one in place. Can get tricky -- you might need to use a razorblade or something to get it loose initially but in my experience they come off the easiest by unscrewing. Theoretically you should do this at every oil change but some people use the same one over and over again. I figure, for $0.84 a piece I might as well change 'em.

Last edited by SM_Shadowman; 08-13-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:00 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
DIY Oil Change:

Step 1. Take off oil cap
Step 2. Drain oil from oil pan
Step 3. Remove filter with o-ring
Step 4. put in oil plug.
Step 5. Rub some oil around the o-ring of the new oil filter.
Step 6. Install new oil filter.
Step 7. Once everything is tight and ready to go start adding oil (whichever you choost)
Step 8. Start the car. Get back under the car check for leaks and make sure everything is sealed.
Step 9. Turn car back off and check dipstick for correct oil level.
Step 0 - Run the engine for a couple minutes to warm up the oil.

Step 1A - Take off the bolts that hold the plastic engine undercover in place, fold back the undercover, and clip it in an open position.

Step 8A - Bolt plastic undercover back in place.

Equipment:

Optional
Ramps
Wheel chocks
Eye goggles
Gloves
Clips (to clip undercover open)

Necessary
10mm socket wrench (for plastic undercover bolts)
14mm socket wrench (for drain plug)
Copper crush washer
Filter wrench
Drain pan
Recycle container
New oil filter
5 1/8 qts of fresh oil
Shop towels

Note: You can choose to install a permanent Fumoto drain valve & dispense with copper crush washers and 14mm socket wrenches forever.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:42 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
FWIW, on all Nissan's i've owned, including the G, i have only replaced the washer once. Never hurts to use new ones, though.

Here's a pic i took for a fellow member on 'Driver, it's a 35, but location of the filter on the 37 is the same. After moving the flap, this is a view looking up from the passenger side to the driver side.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:24 PM
abice

Thanks guys very helpful with the pictures

Quick Reply: real quick oil change question