Sponsored by:

Possible passenger leak location?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 03:02 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by nelledge
DON'T bother with the "straw-extension repair". Either bypass the designed drain completely or replace the drain with a new one.

Why?
  • Most drains don't start leaking for a long time with the original design. My passenger started leaking at 13 years and 150k-ish miles. My driver has not leaked, yet. 14 years and 166k miles, now. Dozens of heavy storms, not a drop.
  • The new design is infinitely better than the old one. (Pun unintended) Nissan/Infiniti did a great job with the redesign. Seems like they actually performed a RCCA.
  • The part is cheap and can be purchased from a Nissan dealership. Nissan is 20 minutes out of my way for commute, Infiniti is 60.
  • The access to the drain is extremely limiting. Trying a MacGyver fix (I love exploring these) leaves too many variables to consider if it doesn't work well the first time. Mine lasted through a few Southern, heavy thunderstorms. And then it leaked. I would have saved so much time and skin if I would have just waited the day to order the part.
  • Purchase the new part straight from the dealer so you know it's the new design (think it was around 10-15 bucks).
  • Bypassing the drain requires a lot more thinking/collaborating to get the confidence you want. Opposed to the original placement which has the factory service manual and tons of online resources (forums, blogs, YT, etc.).
Good luck!
Originally Posted by iCrap
Bypassing the drain the best solution imo. It's easy as well. Getting access to that stupid firewall drain is nearly impossible without pulling half the dash, vents etc.

I never took any pictures when I did this but basically just pull the A pillar trim off and you will see the drain tube. Cut a little piece off, measure it and go to home depot and get some more tube, coupler and a T line.
Btw , if you find that part number , please let me know, just called the Infiniti dealer near me and parts guy said all were the same etc...so will try on weekday when a full crew is there and also start checking online
Old 05-05-2020, 11:26 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

The below is from another poster-dwb993- on forum from some years back, but the info is still correct on plug part number , so in case anyone has this issue pop up on them...

Got the car back yesterday. Here is the breakdown on what they did:

"R&I Instrument panel to access & replace Pass firewall grommet & related parts. Leak Test."
Parts replaced:
74816JU40B-PLUG
0155400181-CLIP(2)
769113LZ0A-GARNISH ASSY-FRONT (Pillar trim)
769123LZ0A-GARNISH ASSY-FRONT (Pillar trim)

They spent 2.8 hours in labor. Total cost: Parts-268.22 Labor-350.93 Total-619.15. Covered under warranty.

Found a post on FB about this. Here is how he got to the part:

Name: Infiniti_Plug_zps2cdun0yu.jpg
Views: 3331
Size: 68.0 KB

The red arrow points to the drain tube, the blue arrow points to the plug location.

Here is the plug that was replaced:

Name: Infiniti_Plug2_zpszw4in9vs.jpg
Views: 3260
Size: 52.4 KB

Last edited by dwb993; 07-11-2016 at 09:57 AM
Old 05-05-2020, 06:39 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 452 Likes on 379 Posts
Relocate is my vote. After having a hurricane dump 6" of water inside and trying different things, relocating to T into AC drain worked. And still does 2 years later - nary a drop inside.
The following users liked this post:
G37sPhoton (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 08:58 PM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
Yeah, that solution sounds logical ....so you replaced the entire hose from the start at sunroof and ran it all the way to where the AC drain etc....? How difficult vs doing the straw extension I'm reading about ? Also you t'ed the connection and did you glue/epoxy it all up etc? Thanks ...
I took the Pilar off and cut it half way up. Used a coupler to splice the tubes together and ran it down and around to the condenser drain tube and t'ed it there. The tubes were a pretty tight fit so I just used zip ties to secure the tubes. You can get what you need at Lowe's or home depot for like $15. All the fitting were plastic. Take the existing tube with you to match the tube size to the fittings. I cant remember the exact size I bought. Also check the size of the condenser tube. Its much bigger then the oem drain tube. I bought a few different fittings and returned what I didnt use so I didn't have to go back and forth to Lowe's
G37sPhoton (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 09:03 PM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Whiterocket
I took the Pilar off and cut it half way up. Used a coupler to splice the tubes together and ran it down and around to the condenser drain tube and t'ed it there. The tubes were a pretty tight fit so I just used zip ties to secure the tubes. You can get what you need at Lowe's or home depot for like $15. All the fitting were plastic. Take the existing tube with you to match the tube size to the fittings. I cant remember the exact size I bought. Also check the size of the condenser tube. Its much bigger then the oem drain tube. I bought a few different fittings and returned what I didnt use so I didn't have to go back and forth to Lowe's
here's a link from the forum. Scroll way down on the thread until you see the pic of the T fitting. Everything you need is there. Any questions I'm here.https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...rd-leak-2.html
G37sPhoton (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 09:36 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
so wheres all the water coming from? water is getting through the sunroof glass seals? i see photos of people water leaks and theres a lot of water. it cant all be coming from the sunroof when it is close or can it?
Old 05-05-2020, 09:42 PM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

Originally Posted by saywat?
so wheres all the water coming from? water is getting through the sunroof glass seals? i see photos of people water leaks and theres a lot of water. it cant all be coming from the sunroof when it is close or can it?
Definitely. I thought the same but its definitely from there.. also could be from around the harness gromet under the battery tray/cover. When I bypassed the firewall tube into the condenser drain I also put clear silicone around the rubber harness grommet and haven't had a drop of water since. Its been over a year.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:23 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

here's a link from the forum. Scroll way down on the thread until you see the pic of the T fitting. Everything you need is there. Any questions I'm here.https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...rd-leak-2.html
Definitely. I thought the same but its definitely from there.. also could be from around the harness gromet under the battery tray/cover. When I bypassed the firewall tube into the condenser drain I also put clear silicone around the rubber harness grommet and haven't had a drop of water since. Its been over a year.
So ....much more reading than doing anything so far , but it leads me to do the bypass as the most logical solutionn , at least on passenger side, since electrical components on that side and the potential of a recurring leak, even with a new and upgraded piece ...as some posters mentioned the leak returning and here in FL and the summer rains ...well I don't want to chance it...so will purchase the tubing and I see some options on just running the tube out the AC drain and then sealing it or doing the T method , will probably buy all and then make up my mind once there and looking at it...I'm guessing the accountants looked at the cost to run the tube that extra lenght to gravities most logical out source and then said .....nah ...just make a hole and put it above the ecm and other components and....let'er rip lol....anyways ....pissed off .... and end rant ....thanks for all the help...still love..errr like the car lol...
Whiterocket (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 10:57 PM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

So ....much more reading than doing anything so far , but it leads me to do the bypass as the most logical solutionn , at least on passenger side, since electrical components on that side and the potential of a recurring leak, even with a new and upgraded piece ...as some posters mentioned the leak returning and here in FL and the summer rains ...well I don't want to chance it...so will purchase the tubing and I see some options on just running the tube out the AC drain and then sealing it or doing the T method , will probably buy all and then make up my mind once there and looking at it...I'm guessing the accountants looked at the cost to run the tube that extra lenght to gravities most logical out source and then said .....nah ...just make a hole and put it above the ecm and other components and....let'er rip lol....anyways ....pissed off .... and end rant ....thanks for all the help...still love..errr like the car lol...
seriously. What a stupid design! No problem brother. Good luck! Let know how it works out. You should be good to go after the fix.👍 I think doing the T is the best way as to not disturb the condenser drain tube grommet.
G37sPhoton (05-06-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 11:25 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
someone with access to a 3d printer should make a guard type cover that can sit above the ecm electronics to at least protect it. I will gladly pay $8 for it.
The following 2 users liked this post by saywat?:
G37sPhoton (05-06-2020), Whiterocket (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 11:38 PM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

Originally Posted by saywat?
someone with access to a 3d printer should make a guard type cover that can sit above the ecm electronics to at least protect it. I will gladly pay $8 for it.
Lol. thats a good idea! I would bet they would charge more then $8. Probably more like $19.99🤪
Old 05-06-2020, 03:25 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

seriously. What a stupid design! No problem brother. Good luck! Let know how it works out. You should be good to go after the fix.👍 I think doing the T is the best way as to not disturb the condenser drain tube grommet.
yes, after seeing the ac grommet location, the T seems best so will go that route..btw this is the tubing im purchasing, any issues with this? and getting some marine grade silicon as well to add around the grommet as well ....https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...2294/207144235...
Old 05-06-2020, 03:48 PM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

yes, after seeing the ac grommet location, the T seems best so will go that route..btw this is the tubing im purchasing, any issues with this? and getting some marine grade silicon as well to add around the grommet as well ....https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...2294/207144235...
perfect. Same stuff I used. Marine grade silicone is good!!
Old 05-07-2020, 08:54 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd be curious to hear from those that have replaced the drain with a new part from Infiniti and had it leak. I don't recall seeing one person in my searches share that information. I live in coastal Georgia. It hasn't leaked a drop since. I've read the same experience from others.

I'm all for alternative solutions, but adding hardware store parts and extending hose length brings its own risks. I imagine the designers that routed this thing had a global perspective for their design. It's been several years and thousands of miles, and people are creating solutions to a problem that is becoming widely visible. Remember, so did Nissan. I'll let you know if mine ever leaks.

I found it odd while researching that there wasn't a common DIY workaround. Everyone's design is different and incorporates different items. That's usually not how good solutions present themselves. A good design is copied without variation. Something to think about.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:06 PM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nelledge
I'd be curious to hear from those that have replaced the drain with a new part from Infiniti and had it leak. I don't recall seeing one person in my searches share that information. I live in coastal Georgia. It hasn't leaked a drop since. I've read the same experience from others.

I'm all for alternative solutions, but adding hardware store parts and extending hose length brings its own risks. I imagine the designers that routed this thing had a global perspective for their design. It's been several years and thousands of miles, and people are creating solutions to a problem that is becoming widely visible. Remember, so did Nissan. I'll let you know if mine ever leaks.

I found it odd while researching that there wasn't a common DIY workaround. Everyone's design is different and incorporates different items. That's usually not how good solutions present themselves. A good design is copied without variation. Something to think about.
my fix hasn't leaked in over a year and I rerouted mine to the condenser drain tube. I've read numerous people's post on this forum that have complained about bringing it to the dealer to get fixed, payi.g a ton of money just for it to leak again. Almost every car manufacturer have design flaws. If they can save $2 on something that means millions more in there pocket. Thats the name of the game. To put the drain right on top of the BCM harness is just retarded. For me rerouting it works. Fix it and forget it.

Quick Reply: Possible passenger leak location?