Sponsored by:

Possible passenger leak location?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 09:41 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiterocket
my fix hasn't leaked in over a year and I rerouted mine to the condenser drain tube...
I don't doubt you.

...I've read numerous people's post on this forum that have complained about bringing it to the dealer to get fixed, payi.g a ton of money just for it to leak again...
This I find dubious. Let's agree to disagree.

...Almost every car manufacturer have design flaws. If they can save $2 on something that means millions more in there pocket. Thats the name of the game. To put the drain right on top of the BCM harness is just retarded. For me rerouting it works. Fix it and forget it.
Not exclusive to your post, but I tire of reading this rhetoric repeatedly. I think most can agree on simple economics, it's not just the big-bad manufacturers. Those who think manufacturers are knowingly cutting corners that compromise safety or reliability on every design scenario for an extra $2 over a perfect solution need to take a breath and consider the actual market forces that promote the opposite. I do, however, agree with the first statement albeit with a modification: Every car manufacturer has design flaws. If you think electronics in proximity to potential water intrusion is a design flaw, they all share it.

In the end, everyone repairs their car the way they like. I am offering the argument to use an easy, plug-and-play solution in the cluster of DIY solutions.
The following users liked this post:
Whiterocket (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 11:02 PM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by nelledge
I don't doubt you.

This I find dubious. Let's agree to disagree.

Not exclusive to your post, but I tire of reading this rhetoric repeatedly. I think most can agree on simple economics, it's not just the big-bad manufacturers. Those who think manufacturers are knowingly cutting corners that compromise safety or reliability on every design scenario for an extra $2 over a perfect solution need to take a breath and consider the actual market forces that promote the opposite. I do, however, agree with the first statement albeit with a modification: Every car manufacturer has design flaws. If you think electronics in proximity to potential water intrusion is a design flaw, they all share it.

In the end, everyone repairs their car the way they like. I am offering the argument to use an easy, plug-and-play solution in the cluster of DIY solutions.
what do you have in mind? Something you want to design?
Old 05-08-2020, 03:45 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I have found multiple posts on repairs being done by dealership and returning again some time later; however, that point aside, if you have a solution, im all ears, as i will be performing this lovely bypass sometime over the weekend...but to your point, not sure how adding a splicer(securely) and then running tubing an extra 12 or so would be detrimental or at the very least any more so than the original design... ...but, im asking for help on here from Whiterocket, so what do i know etc..so please, do elaborate on solution
Old 05-10-2020, 10:20 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Went ahead with the bybass and tested and all looks good...however ...went to was car and found some water in and near vent opening above cabin filter and this is where the initial water leak appeared to be...and wondering if when I changed the battery over winter , maybe something is off...however everything only goes in one way, so by chance does anyone have pics of their passenger side cowl section? As I'm seeing water on the areas with arrow donuts dripping into engine and I'm guessing if enough rain then maybe it's overflowing ..

Seeing water on that boot and somehow it's running over and down the filter to floorboard
Also , took off a rubber type material , but mine was more gray from mildew and was falling apart and not sure what it is to replace ? Also, the lower part of winshiel had some type of tape maybe? Bit that's erroded ....

What normally went here? Windshield tape?
Not sure if that impacts water proofness but hey...I'm trying all options ...also this is where that rubber piece in cowl normally went...

What type of rubber piece goes down here?

Sorry on the long post and hope someone has tips and if not at least maybe something here helps somebody out ...
Old 05-10-2020, 10:36 PM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
Went ahead with the bybass and tested and all looks good...however ...went to was car and found some water in and near vent opening above cabin filter and this is where the initial water leak appeared to be...and wondering if when I changed the battery over winter , maybe something is off...however everything only goes in one way, so by chance does anyone have pics of their passenger side cowl section? As I'm seeing water on the areas with arrow donuts dripping into engine and I'm guessing if enough rain then maybe it's overflowing ..

Seeing water on that boot and somehow it's running over and down the filter to floorboard
Also , took off a rubber type material , but mine was more gray from mildew and was falling apart and not sure what it is to replace ? Also, the lower part of winshiel had some type of tape maybe? Bit that's erroded ....

Not sure if that impacts water proofness but hey...I'm trying all options ...also this is where that rubber piece in cowl normally went...

Sorry on the long post and hope someone has tips and if not at least maybe something here helps somebody out ...
I'm pretty sure that rubber piece helps divert the water away from the filter opening. I had the same problem. Took it apart and tried again and it stopped. Maybe when you put it back together something was a little off. Test it with a hose and have the glove box out when you test it.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:46 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Thanks and that's what I'm thinking too, but I don't have a rubber piece there and hasnt been for a while...my car was garages until last year when my daughter started driving so now outside more and maybe the missing piece is more pronounced in the past few downpours ....maybe I'll swing by dealership next weekend and see if they now what's missing ...or find a G on their lot and try to compare it they let me etc...will see, hopefully somebody has pics of theirs and or now's parts etc..
Old 05-10-2020, 11:07 PM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

Thanks and that's what I'm thinking too, but I don't have a rubber piece there and hasnt been for a while...my car was garages until last year when my daughter started driving so now outside more and maybe the missing piece is more pronounced in the past few downpours ....maybe I'll swing by dealership next weekend and see if they now what's missing ...or find a G on their lot and try to compare it they let me etc...will see, hopefully somebody has pics of theirs and or now's parts etc..
there is definitely supposed to be some kind of rubber/foam piece in there. My G has it. I was just browsing online and you can definitely find it..
Old 05-12-2020, 02:24 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

there is definitely supposed to be some kind of rubber/foam piece in there. My G has it. I was just browsing online and you can definitely find it..

yeah, a windshield install guy said its molding and can find at auto parts store or dealer etc, so will check out, but im wondering if water should be on the boot there in pic? im thinking no, as the water should run down windshield and then via the drains on the passenger side fender wall, not bounce back in and maybe that's how it got to the opening over the cabin filter...but not sure if that missing molding would be the piece that prevents all that water..saw other posts where guys replaced it with felt, but more for the cowl noise, not water leak issues..so not sure on this...at least the sunroof drain is addressed so im not too worried on water coming in that way anymore ...
Old 05-12-2020, 02:32 PM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

yeah, a windshield install guy said its molding and can find at auto parts store or dealer etc, so will check out, but im wondering if water should be on the boot there in pic? im thinking no, as the water should run down windshield and then via the drains on the passenger side fender wall, not bounce back in and maybe that's how it got to the opening over the cabin filter...but not sure if that missing molding would be the piece that prevents all that water..saw other posts where guys replaced it with felt, but more for the cowl noise, not water leak issues..so not sure on this...at least the sunroof drain is addressed so im not too worried on water coming in that way anymore ...
I'm pretty sure that rubber piece seals the cowl to the windshield so water doesn't seep behind and under the cowl allowing it to get under and on the electrical and air vent. The seal would direct it over the cowl and away from the above mentionmentioned
G37sPhoton (05-12-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 01:14 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Tennessee , 08-28-2012 06:34 PM
Yeah, that wiper cowl above the battery isn't secured right. There is a small piece of weather stripping attached to it that connects to your windshield. The previous owner probably had it off fooling with the battery at some point. If its not on their securely, it will leak right through the cabin filter and into your floor.

Appreciateall your help...one of the reasons I never modded my car , too ocd on $hit... unless it's right , so I just leave some stuff alone lol....so about this water leak...saw this post from some years back but wondering what seal is he referring to....I don't have a seal on mine but I recall some posters adding a j hook type seal on to top of cowl to lay against windshield but more so for the cowl creaks etc....any ideas ? Again thanks man do appreciate it, just getting to rainy season here in FL and want to get it fixed without a visit to dealer if at all possible ...

The following 2 users liked this post by G37sPhoton:
Texas Boy (01-18-2021), Whiterocket (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 01:25 PM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

Tennessee , 08-28-2012 06:34 PM
Yeah, that wiper cowl above the battery isn't secured right. There is a small piece of weather stripping attached to it that connects to your windshield. The previous owner probably had it off fooling with the battery at some point. If its not on their securely, it will leak right through the cabin filter and into your floor.

Appreciateall your help...one of the reasons I never modded my car , too ocd on $hit... unless it's right , so I just leave some stuff alone lol....so about this water leak...saw this post from some years back but wondering what seal is he referring to....I don't have a seal on mine but I recall some posters adding a j hook type seal on to top of cowl to lay against windshield but more so for the cowl creaks etc....any ideas ? Again thanks man do appreciate it, just getting to rainy season here in FL and want to get it fixed without a visit to dealer if at all possible ...
No problem. exactly as I said. The piece your missing you would think eh what could that really do? Turns out it actually makes a big difference and has a meaning. Get that replaced and you should have no more problems. I would look on line for a replacement. Dont try to rig it because there is valuable electronics under there that cost $$$. Dont take the chance of getting that stuff wet.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:23 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

So trying to find that piece and not sure what I'm looking for..I found the rubber cord that goes in recess channel of cowl but not much luck with anything else...this video I shot is just a water bottle running down windshield and the water is not really going behind windshield but down the side drain ....I'm guessing this is normal and thus the reason for rubber boots over those components ...but maybe something else is missing to channel water away...??? Those areas got wet but water ran down and out ...
Old 05-14-2020, 09:23 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

So trying to find that piece and not sure what I'm looking for..I found the rubber cord that goes in recess channel of cowl but not much luck with anything else...this video I shot is just a water bottle running down windshield and the water is not really going behind windshield but down the side drain ....I'm guessing this is normal and thus the reason for rubber boots over those components ...but maybe something else is missing to channel water away...??? Those areas got wet but water ran down and out ...
Old 05-14-2020, 10:17 AM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/k9SEsC2ElLA
it is normal to drain on those boots. For piece of mind I clear siliconed around those boots to make sure no water gets in. Once put back together nothing will be seen. Pouring water is a good test but really doesn't copy what it would be like if the wipers were on throwing water at it. If you don't have water coming through the cabin filter anymore and you replaced that rubber piece in the channel you should be ok. As I said above for piece of mind clear silicone around the boot the water is draining on.
G37sPhoton (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 11:33 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

it is normal to drain on those boots. For piece of mind I clear siliconed around those boots to make sure no water gets in. Once put back together nothing will be seen. Pouring water is a good test but really doesn't copy what it would be like if the wipers were on throwing water at it. If you don't have water coming through the cabin filter anymore and you replaced that rubber piece in the channel you should be ok. As I said above for piece of mind clear silicone around the boot the water is draining on.

thanks man, i think i will put a fork on this bad boy and just wait and see etc...will do on the silicone bit for extra security etc...again appreciate your input..
Whiterocket (05-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Possible passenger leak location?