Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Passenger side dashboard leak

Old 03-02-2017, 07:45 PM
qgoat
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had this problem. I simply blocked off the drain at the sunroof. Still have 3 good drains. Water takes the path of least resistance. So no more leaks. I know this is not the correct fix but it works for now.
The following 2 users liked this post by qgoat:
DiL (05-30-2022), RiInfinitiGuy (05-21-2019)
Old 03-06-2017, 02:21 PM
gman69
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by qgoat
I had this problem. I simply blocked off the drain at the sunroof. Still have 3 good drains. Water takes the path of least resistance. So no more leaks. I know this is not the correct fix but it works for now.
What side did you do to your car? Driver or passenger side?
Mine leaks on the driver side. I called Infiniti and told them how unhappy I am about the sunroof tubes. I told them it's pretty said that theses cars have had problems since 2008 on a lot of Infiniti and Nissan cars. They didn't care.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:50 PM
bridgengineer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Out of curiosity, what did you use to block the drain off? Thinking about doing this as well if I can't fix it on my own
Old 03-06-2017, 06:19 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Mine still has not been fixed and was quoted $600 from dealership to replace both driver and passenger front drains. Not sure how he blocked it off but could always zip tie it shut to a degree
Old 03-07-2017, 10:24 PM
qgoat
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I blocked off the passenger side. I used a rubber glove for now.lol. I basically just shoved the rubber glove into the hole where water drains. I am going to try something more permanent now that I know this works. I am going to try a tire patch and some silicone to try to seal it permanently.
The following users liked this post:
bridgengineer (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:57 PM
gman69
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I blocked off the passenger side. I used a rubber glove for now.lol. I basically just shoved the rubber glove into the hole where water drains. I am going to try something more permanent now that I know this works. I am going to try a tire patch and some silicone to try to seal it permanently.
Please take a bunch of pictures when you do it and post them....
Mine is on the driver's side but at least I'll get some king of idea of what to look for. Has anyone fixed theirs on the driver's side??
Old 03-21-2017, 04:14 PM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Update: still not leaking....
We've had some seriously wet weather on the west coast so I'm cautiously optimistic that the tube hack worked. I'm reserving final judgement but I'm thinking that might be the fix for those still looking. The tubing extension I used was some aquarium tubing I had in the garage from an old fish tank and regular silicone caulking around it to hold it in. Really wasn't too bad to get out either. I pretty much reached up from underneath (with all the glove box components removed) and pulled on the edge with a fingernail while pulling back on the drain tube (exposed by removing the a-pillar) with my other hand. It popped right out. After giving the silicone a full day to set up, I reinstalled pretty much the same way.
I had some funky/glitchy climate unit issues when I first got it back together. Was a little concerned it might've been water damage to the bcm but it only lasted a day and hasn't returned. It wouldn't blow out of the defrost. Only mid-level and floor. If I'd select defrost it would blow for a second then the display and airflow would switch on its own back down. Tried every combination of settings (ac/fan speed/recirc/etc) and it did whatever it wanted. Extremely frustrating. Again, it hasn't resurfaced so I'm hoping it was an isolated incident that resolved as the unit dried out.

I really do want to like this car, but it's hard while lacking confidence in it on the most basic level...

If it's still dry by April 1st, I'm ordering the oem spoiler and getting rid of that eyesore chrome piece.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:11 AM
GLife14
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought if you have the elite warranty, the dealer is able to approve/deny right on the spot. Didn't think they sent out inspectors, even for big jobs.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:28 PM
G10
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
This guy shows you how to extend the tubing for the leak to resolve the issue.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:38 PM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

Yup. That's where I got the idea. Saw that video when researching the problem when I first noticed my leak. Still working perfectly. Recommend it to anyone struggling.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:22 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Christ oh mighty. Pass side floor is wet and leaking. Pulled the lower panel and wires are wet. 2013 coupe. How do i identify if i need to mod the drain tube or if its windshield related?
Old 04-05-2017, 06:51 PM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

To be honest I never could definitively tell where it was coming from. Fixing the sunroof drain stopped the leak though (for now, knock on wood).
I'm pretty sure if it is windshield related it will be coming through the cabin air filter housing. The trim piece at the bottom of the windshield has a little gasket in the groove where the windshield sits to divert the water to the side of the cabin air intake. If it gets damaged the water runs off the windshield right into the large opening that is the source of air to the climate unit. It's a surprisingly big hole in a terrible spot for getting dripped in
If the water is coming down towards the outward side of the glovebox it's either the wiring harness (under the hood in the battery compartment) or the sunroof. I think. Or something else altogether....
I sealed the hell out of the wiring harness because it was easy and it didn't fix the problem. I upgraded the sunroof drain next and it hasn't leaked since. It's only been 5 weeks but I'm still hopeful.
The following 2 users liked this post by NW_6MT:
MStrike (10-31-2020), Texas Boy (01-18-2021)
Old 04-05-2017, 06:53 PM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

PS: make sure you pull up the carpet and that white piece of styrofoam that's under it. There's a large trough full of water waiting for you down there:-)
Old 04-05-2017, 07:07 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Thank you. So far the water is isolated to floor mat and microfiber towel i had for windows. I traced the water to a bundle of wires and and they go high up. I pulled battery cover and could pooled water and wires by the battery. Im thinking its there. Is that where the gromet is?
Old 04-05-2017, 07:26 PM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

This is the wiring harness grommet. As seen with the battery cover removed.

Zoomed out for reference:

Do you have standing water around your battery or am I reading that wrong? There shouldn't be any standing water. If so you likely have a blocked drain somewhere under your battery that is causing the pooling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passenger side dashboard leak