Sponsored by:

Possible passenger leak location?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 11:40 AM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
thanks man, i think i will put a fork on this bad boy and just wait and see etc...will do on the silicone bit for extra security etc...again appreciate your input..
no problem man. Glad I could help. Let me know how it works.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:24 PM
Ottomurph
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2008 G35 sedan. Take off the cowl, clean all that crap out of there and clean the bottom of the windshield. Run a line of RTV black silicone down the channel and stick it back in place. The RTV silicone will be your new seal.
The following users liked this post:
Whiterocket (05-14-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 07:25 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
ok, so had a decent rain shower today and all dry!! so im thinking the bypass solved the issue; however, after doing the water test via the windshield and seeing water go to the back of the cowl, it seems that there is a piece that sits on top edge of cowl against windshield...i don't recall my car having this honestly, but then again it may been removed at some point and never replaced and i just never noticed it...some posts i read replaced it with a j hook rubber strip but they were trying to resolved the noises made by cowl rubbing, but it seems something like that could server the same purpose..anyway, this is piece and part number...anybody has this on their car?

cowl piece
Old 11-14-2020, 03:24 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Hello, @G37sPhoton, is there any update to this issue?

I now have a small drip coming in from the cabin filter area.

Seems as soon as I tackle one damn leak another creeps up. SMFH...

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2020, 04:32 PM
G10
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
I had this issue a long time ago and this is what we did
Follow this post-https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-installations-modifications/231654-fix-windshield-cowl-popping-noises-8.html
Go to post # 90
Problem solved.. never had a problem thereafter.

Here is the link to the original idea. https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...ml#post3976774

Thanks

Last edited by G10; 11-24-2020 at 04:36 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-27-2020, 02:47 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Hello, @G37sPhoton, is there any update to this issue?

I now have a small drip coming in from the cabin filter area.

Seems as soon as I tackle one damn leak another creeps up. SMFH...

Thanks!
Hey @ILM-NC G37S sorry on the late reply and hopefully you found a solution already, but just in case , yeah that strip was the final solution, so truly dont know if the bypass was ever needed as once the rubber strip was added, no more water pouring in near the cabin filter opening...we have had some fairly monsoon rains here lol and all dry. give it a try, its a fairly inexpensive solution, if your strip is gone , i think i took mine off once during battery change and that was that...and car went from garaged to outside once my daughter started driving lol...if its not the strip then the Bypass and if not that, it would have to be a door seal type leak....
Old 12-27-2020, 02:57 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

No worries about the late reply... we all have young and restless lives to live...

In a pinch, I ended up running a small bead of silicone along the entire inner edge/channel of that cowl piece that slides onto the windshield. Thankfully, that solved that leak issue. The original "seal" had all but completely deteriorated over time.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:49 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

^^yeah, i think i pondered a similar solution as well, also, i bought some backer rod at home depot and replaced the seal that was in the inner lining of cowl as it was also just brittle dust, not sure how well this stuff works compared to oem seal and or if its more for friction etc but the rubber on top lip of cowl seems to have been the main fix, at least in my situation...good luck, as the water leak issue can be a pain to pinpoint at times and on passenger side can go unnoticed for some time etc...
Texas Boy (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 07:24 PM
Texas Boy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37sPhoton I may not have all OEM equipment so I don't understand what seals we are discussing here. Can you take pics or give part nos. of the 2 cowl seals you have mentioned that fixed your problem? My cabin air filter a tech said was moldy so I'm confident this is part of my probs! Thx!
Old 01-20-2021, 03:54 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Hey @Texas Boy , this is a quick pick, but hopefully gives you an idea of what it looks like...its probably the main piece , if missing, that will do the trick...if you pull the cowl out, you will see the other piece, foam cord, tucked inside a groove/channel..i dont think that it will be the culprit but if its falling apart then replace it too..Home depot has something similar but def not OEM etc. As far as the seal strip, its fairly expensive from dealer and the piece i bought was 13-15

bucks and works and looks fairly good, so let me know if you don't find it cheap and i will dig up the seller link(airline supplier) as they shipped fast and most important, it works...hope you get it solved.
Texas Boy (01-30-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 12:14 PM
Texas Boy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
Hey @Texas Boy , this is a quick pick, but hopefully gives you an idea of what it looks like...its probably the main piece , if missing, that will do the trick...if you pull the cowl out, you will see the other piece, foam cord, tucked inside a groove/channel..i dont think that it will be the culprit but if its falling apart then replace it too..Home depot has something similar but def not OEM etc. As far as the seal strip, its fairly expensive from dealer and the piece i bought was 13-15

bucks and works and looks fairly good, so let me know if you don't find it cheap and i will dig up the seller link(airline supplier) as they shipped fast and most important, it works...hope you get it solved.
Hey brother thanks so much for the help. After much more research here is what I found. The strip in your pic above touching the windshield is not OEM (wasn't a part of the original design). The part no. listed a few posts above (the strip) sits on top of the cowl under the hood. It connects the hood to the cowl for sealing. I ALSO FOUND OUT from a guru at a dealership who chased his own car with this prob. that HE SILICONED THE INTAKE HOLE FOR THE CABIN AIR FILTER AND FIXED THE LEAK. After countless hrs of testing this is where his leak was. I have been wondering all along if this area was our problem. This may be the fix we're all needing. Can you confirm the seal you added above was never a part of your car before?
Old 02-06-2021, 12:44 PM
Texas Boy
Registered Member

ILM-NC G37S for the record the guru I talked to also said techs are using silicone like you did. He said OEM seal underneath cowls was a round hollow rope waxy foam and is virtually unavailable from other places. BUT he said if seal cabin air intake probably that will be enough. We'll see!
Old 02-06-2021, 01:22 PM
Texas Boy
Registered Member

G37sPhoton I am searching now for backer rod. You were able to buy a short strip of it at HD? I'm seeing big bundles lol. I'm assuming you used 1/8 or 1/4"?
Old 02-06-2021, 01:50 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

I don't know why the "guru" told you the seals are unavailable- they are, but just too damn expensive for what they are:
$94 for the Sedan p/n: 66834-JK000
$68 for the Coupe p/n: 66834-JK61A

I chose the silicone route as I needed a quick fix. Being that the cowl is only removed when the battery gets changed- what, every 2-3 years or so- that temporary fix will likely become permanent. No issues and I've had tons of rain in the past few months...

But, I appreciate the update all the same...

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 02-06-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:29 PM
Texas Boy
Registered Member

ILM-NC G37S That's a different seal. It sits on top of cowl. Seals underneath/inside cowl are not avail.

Quick Reply: Possible passenger leak location?