Sponsored by:

2010+ to 07-09 Rear Bumper Swap [In-Progress]

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 09:41 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts
2010+ to 07-09 Rear Bumper Swap [In-Progress]

[Mods: let me know if this needs to move to my build thread, figured since it's in progress it could stand on it's own]

I know, I know sounds a bit crazy. But I've always been a bit partial to looks of the rears of older G sedans (I think the facelift is much improved however)- and doubles down by the lack of diffuser/valence options for the 2010+ models. Carbon Signal/Access Evolution have awesome looking spats but a diffuser that bends the license plate and some insane shipping costs. AutokitsX has fins that appear "tacked on" (IMO on the 2010s), and painting/vinyl the rear valence just wasn't doing it for me on the KAD sedan:

Just meh. Not bad, but meh.

Anyways, today I was lucky enough to score a set of Blacktop Aero "Kenstyle" replica spats for the 07-09 as seen below:

Now we're talking. Coincidently, my current rear bumper has some deep scratches from a friend dropping a guitar amp on it... so I "rationalized" the swap. It didn't hurt that 07-09 G35/37 sedans were pretty plentiful, and a few hours later I located a bumper in good condition from a part out 2 hours away for < $100.

Uh oh, this project is a go. I'm off to grab the bumper tomorrow. Next Steps:
  1. Obviously it'll need to be refinished in KAD along with the Spats
  2. Backup sensors. I'm a bit torn as I love the clean look, but am also not too keen on losing features (albeit I rarely use them as the camera + mirrors are plenty enough). On the other hand it should be "easy" to cut new holes are port the sensors over.
  3. Diffuser/Valence. Options are Blackout, Autokits (much better on the '09), Top Secret style, or leave blank. Choices, choices.
This should be fun!
Old 05-31-2019, 12:38 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
This is funny. I always thought the newer rear bumper looked better, although I will say I do really like those spats. Where did you get them from?

As for the rear valence, i'd wrap it black. Or if your having the bumper repainted have them mask and paint that section gloss black.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:15 AM
sidestepca
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
damn nice bro cant wait to see the end result. i too am in favor of the 08 rear, i only vinyl the valence in glossy CF, and i do very much enjoy it, id get the auto kits valence, not spats cuz i have mudflaps
carobon signal in Dubai makes a diffuser valence for the model but its like 1k. auto kits u can just buy the valence, the side spats are super rare and expensive, about 700 from japan if u find them. the brands of aero for the G are like Ravspec, auto kits, carbon signal, vis, succesful automive,

Last edited by sidestepca; 05-31-2019 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:50 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
This is a cool project and I think you're right about porting over the sensors (should be easy), but honestly i think the older bumper is a mismatch for the newer front end... the lines on the older one are too rounded, i see this with lots of ppl with the pre-2010 cars that upgrade their front end...the lines on the newer cars are longer and more angular and the lines on the older car are more stubby...personally I'm a fan of the older ones but I feel they just don't mix well..

like I said though cool project though and seems easily reversible if you decide you don't like it..I'd still like to see the end result though as you seem to have a good vision for where you want to go with your car
Old 05-31-2019, 10:47 AM
teahead
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Good choice.

Plans for a diffuser?

Wish us 'vert owners had more options.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:20 AM
deep0542
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
This is funny. I always thought the newer rear bumper looked better, although I will say I do really like those spats. Where did you get them from?

As for the rear valence, i'd wrap it black. Or if your having the bumper repainted have them mask and paint that section gloss black.
Haha it is a bit funny/crazy. Alas the heart wants what it wants.... These Spats were made by a company called Blacktop Aero. I don't believe they are in business anymore. I bought it off a seller on FB who had traded in her G. Only spats that are still available are the true Kenstyle ones or going through Carbon Signal, but its a bit pricey compared to the payoff. Most likely I'll be following your suggestion and painting it gloss black (also considering Matte finish, but gloss would work with the blacked out trim/wheels).

Originally Posted by sidestepca
damn nice bro cant wait to see the end result. i too am in favor of the 08 rear, i only vinyl the valence in glossy CF, and i do very much enjoy it, id get the auto kits valence, not spats cuz i have mudflaps
carobon signal in Dubai makes a diffuser valence for the model but its like 1k. auto kits u can just buy the valence, the side spats are super rare and expensive, about 700 from japan if u find them. the brands of aero for the G are like Ravspec, auto kits, carbon signal, vis, succesful automive,
Appreciate it man! I have mudflaps on the donor G35 bumper I sourced, but you're right it'll be replaced by these spats. With Carbon Signal they'll want you to get the full kit; and these Spats I purchased are US replicas of the Kenstyle ones that Ravspec sells.

Originally Posted by Hashim
This is a cool project and I think you're right about porting over the sensors (should be easy), but honestly i think the older bumper is a mismatch for the newer front end... the lines on the older one are too rounded, i see this with lots of ppl with the pre-2010 cars that upgrade their front end...the lines on the newer cars are longer and more angular and the lines on the older car are more stubby...personally I'm a fan of the older ones but I feel they just don't mix well..

like I said though cool project though and seems easily reversible if you decide you don't like it..I'd still like to see the end result though as you seem to have a good vision for where you want to go with your car
I appreciate your perspective Hashim! I agree with you, the 07-09 rears are "softer" with more rounded edges- months back when I first thought about this conversion I knew it would only flow with spats and most sources were discontinued or too expensive so I kept this idea on the back burner. But when these spats turned up I had to give it a shot. I think the spats + blacked out valance/diffuser look in this Vossen shot helps make the bumper aggressive enough for the 2010+ front end. We shall see. I'm still torn on the sensors as I love the clean bumper look....

Originally Posted by teahead
Good choice.

Plans for a diffuser?

Wish us 'vert owners had more options.

Still undecided. AutoKitsX or eBay seem to be the only sources that would work with the Spats- and I've heard less than stellar reviews about AutoKitsX turnaround times. I may be painting the valence black for the time being. And that's fair, but you vert owners get cooled seats and folding mirrors
Old 11-20-2019, 07:34 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Well its been quite awhile since I last posted on this thread! I dropped the Spats and Bumper over to my painter on the 4th of July weekend. He got super busy.... and I had a new infant so I was a little “time constrained” as well.

Fast forward to last weekend, and my ‘07 bumper and spats were finally refinished in KAD (as an added bonus he only charged me $120 due to the wait for paint).

I also scored an Auto KitsX CF diffuser. I have loved the look of these, just had heard horror stories of quality and turnaround times dealing direct with the vendor. Luckily I found High Intake Performance on instagram with one remaining set (ironically they stopped dealing with AutoKits due to service issues) so they could vouch for the quality.

Just

received the diffuser today. I’m in love 😍

Last edited by deep0542; 11-22-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:46 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Where did you get those spats from?
Old 11-20-2019, 09:33 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
Where did you get those spats from?
Bought it off of a seller on Facebook- these are discontinued Black Top Aeros
Old 11-21-2019, 11:40 AM
fillup
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
Jealous. I would trade my CS rear diffuser for the rear spats + autokits x diffuser. I had the autokits x but gave up on finding the rear spats. Found the CS for sale and sold the autokits x. A month later someone was selling the rear spats (probably same seller you bought yours from).
Old 11-22-2019, 03:46 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Originally Posted by fillup
Jealous. I would trade my CS rear diffuser for the rear spats + autokits x diffuser. I had the autokits x but gave up on finding the rear spats. Found the CS for sale and sold the autokits x. A month later someone was selling the rear spats (probably same seller you bought yours from).
Thanks man! It’s funny how timing works out sometimes. That CS rear is pretty sharp as well, just wish it didn’t bend the license plate (or was offered for US spec). But either are a huge upgrade from the stock look.

I think it was probably the same seller (Vanessa on SIS) as these things rarely crop up.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:41 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Sheesh, nearly a year since this got updated. I posted this in my build thread, but figured I'd tie up this thread as well. This project is finally a wrap. Ended up running into several unforeseen issues: 1) Rear crash bar and Reinforcement foam iis different on older Gs and 2) the 35 bumper I purchased had fitment issues. Ended purchasing a new bumper off of Amazon (which arrived damaged), but got all my money back and got to keep the bumper.

Finally got this project to a close, and I'm very pleased with the results.