G37 Sedan

Is RWD G37S much more reliable than AWD G37xS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 02:06 PM
tigerlui
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AARONHL
If you park on the roads you will have a tough time getting off the curb after it snows several inches. The limited slip will put most of the power to the (rear) right wheel and you will just spin out back onto the curb. I would consider the AWD more reliable in that case, but if you have a garage you will be fine.
Basically what he said. I have a RWD here in Wisconsin. I'm running Yokohama snow tires (18") + lowered on swift springs. For the past 4 years that I own the car, I got stuck 3 times. If you are familiar with snows, you know plow trucks pile snows around street cars as they go by, that's basically when I got stuck. I ran 200lbs of sandbag in the trunk before, but that's doesn't do much things. Carry some 2x4s or recovery device for off road will help if it concerns you.

As far as reliability goes, my car never really broke down. Oil gallery gasket failed on my car and I had it done under warranty. I do regular maintenance, oil change interval 6k, MT trans and diff fluid 30k interval, pulley, stuff like that.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:25 PM
yehanm4a1
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tigerlui
Basically what he said. I have a RWD here in Wisconsin. I'm running Yokohama snow tires (18") + lowered on swift springs. For the past 4 years that I own the car, I got stuck 3 times. If you are familiar with snows, you know plow trucks pile snows around street cars as they go by, that's basically when I got stuck. I ran 200lbs of sandbag in the trunk before, but that's doesn't do much things. Carry some 2x4s or recovery device for off road will help if it concerns you.

As far as reliability goes, my car never really broke down. Oil gallery gasket failed on my car and I had it done under warranty. I do regular maintenance, oil change interval 6k, MT trans and diff fluid 30k interval, pulley, stuff like that.
Thanks. That isn't too bad in WI. But I doubt if I run with 4 season tires I'd get stuck every time (I don't have space for tires...). Btw as for the oil gallery gasket is your G 2011 or earlier?
Old 04-09-2019, 03:52 PM
tigerlui
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yehanm4a1
Thanks. That isn't too bad in WI. But I doubt if I run with 4 season tires I'd get stuck every time (I don't have space for tires...). Btw as for the oil gallery gasket is your G 2011 or earlier?
Honestly, it comes down whether the roads are plowed or not. Many people drive their mustang / other RWD cars in winter. I ran all season one winter, but there weren't many snow that year. If you do run all season, at least find some with good snow ratings. I had Yokohama advan sport tires. As for my oil gallery gasket, my car is 2010. I wouldn't be too concern about it though, there are only a small amount of G37 owners got affected. Car owners that didn't get the failure wouldn't go online and post about their problem free gallery gasket, which is why you only see nothing but trouble for gallery gasket failures.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:07 PM
yehanm4a1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tigerlui
Honestly, it comes down whether the roads are plowed or not. Many people drive their mustang / other RWD cars in winter. I ran all season one winter, but there weren't many snow that year. If you do run all season, at least find some with good snow ratings. I had Yokohama advan sport tires. As for my oil gallery gasket, my car is 2010. I wouldn't be too concern about it though, there are only a small amount of G37 owners got affected. Car owners that didn't get the failure wouldn't go online and post about their problem free gallery gasket, which is why you only see nothing but trouble for gallery gasket failures.
Good idea. Hope there can be some rwd S sedan on market recently.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:03 AM
Mojo_Dp
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've only owned 2 xs sedans (although for a short period of time) I haven't had any issues. You will need to do more maintenance on it for sure. I would recommend the X only if it snows in your state. If you stick with a RWD one, you can get the sedan in manual, and you will get the big brakes and calipers along with some other differences. The awd ones get stuck with the normal x calipers, and the 7 speed transmission with floppy paddles if you get the S package.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:10 PM
Starter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a late chime in on this thread, but the truth of the matter is that RWD vs AWD doesn't make as much difference as your choice of tires. I have a 2011 S in Maryland that came with the summer tires (we have snow in Maryland) and it was undrivable in snow. All season performance tires made all the difference. get the S and you'll love it!
Old 05-17-2019, 11:12 PM
Mojo_Dp
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Starter
This is a late chime in on this thread, but the truth of the matter is that RWD vs AWD doesn't make as much difference as your choice of tires. I have a 2011 S in Maryland that came with the summer tires (we have snow in Maryland) and it was undrivable in snow. All season performance tires made all the difference. get the S and you'll love it!
Same and that snow button on the x helps so much. I would try to move up my driveway in the winter and I would be spinning down the damn thing. Click the snow button and it just climbs right up.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:27 PM
kinet3k
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AWD system definitely adds $$$ to maintenance as mentioned above, but I love it, especially in Winter (i live in CT). for me it's a no brainer. I love it in summer too.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:55 PM
yehanm4a1
Registered Member

Thanks guys, finally I've got my 2013 S. I feel the suspension is better than I expect, not a issue for me even on the bumpy Philly roads.

Install the front chin spoiler
The following users liked this post:
Mojo_Dp (05-23-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 01:32 AM
DavidO
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
All wheel v rear wheel drive

Last Oct. I bought a BMW 535IX wagon. I like their looks, and I had once owned a 735i which I really liked, also with a 6 cylinder motor.

I'd had a Lexus LS430 for 17 years, and decided it was time for a "funner" car.

Well, I still like the looks of the wagon: but I discovered that I don't like "turbocharged" (The BMW has two....)
and I don't like all wheel drive.
And the "shiftable automatic" does nothing to scratch my desire to drive a car that requires clutch, throttle, and gear shifting coordination.

So now I have a 2011 G37 S, and the joy of driving it {or thinking about it} makes me smile.

When I started reading this thread, yehanm4a1, I was going to state the above,
and recommend to you what you already bought!

I hope you are as delighted with yours, as i am with mine.

now if i could just sell my BMW......
Old 05-24-2019, 01:35 AM
DavidO
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine!

The following users liked this post:
flipmode007 (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 11:31 AM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts