G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is RWD G37S much more reliable than AWD G37xS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 03:00 PM
yehanm4a1
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is RWD G37S much more reliable than AWD G37xS?

I am considering buying a 12/13 G37S or xS sedan. But I need suggestions.
Situation: I am living in Philly, PA. Not too much snow and just drive for fun. But my apt doesn't have space for tires, so I'll go with all season tires. No doubt I'll be more confident driving AWD X in winter and heavy rainy days. But from some previous threads about VLSD I think driving carefully with rwd S should be OK in the rain or plowed snow road?
I've also read some CV-joint issues about AWD X. So do you think the RWD is much more reliable than AWD? What mileages should I start to worry about those cons of AWD system probably?

Appreciate in advance for your opinions!
Old 04-07-2019, 04:27 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by yehanm4a1
I am considering buying a 12/13 G37S or xS sedan. But I need suggestions.
Situation: I am living in Philly, PA. Not too much snow and just drive for fun. But my apt doesn't have space for tires, so I'll go with all season tires. No doubt I'll be more confident driving AWD X in winter and heavy rainy days. But from some previous threads about VLSD I think driving carefully with rwd S should be OK in the rain or plowed snow road?
I've also read some CV-joint issues about AWD X. So do you think the RWD is much more reliable than AWD? What mileages should I start to worry about those cons of AWD system probably?

Appreciate in advance for your opinions!
In general more parts = less reliable. AWD system adds parts. But over all I don't really think it's a big deal. My AWD car has been nothing but great.
The following users liked this post:
wannabetoughguy (04-23-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 11:55 PM
1219G37
Registered Member

No experience with the RWD but the only thing with the AWD I think would be the added maintenance (front diff and transfer case fluid changes).
Old 04-08-2019, 12:28 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
And eventual axle replacements...
Old 04-08-2019, 12:43 AM
FreightTrain
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I went with an X due to snow concerns here in Indiana. After a couple years of ownership, I wish I would have gone with the S. Granted I haven't personally driven an S for more than a few miles, the difference in the snow is probably marginal. Tires and how you drive are going to be the two biggest factors regardless. Plus the S comes with the upgraded suspension, sways, etc. Basically parts that you'll end up buying aftermarket later if you plan to modify the X at all as they are all "lacking" in the X. I've heard good things about the VLSD. You'll have less moving parts, a little less maintenance, and a little less weight as well going with the S.

Either wouldn't be a deal breaker for me though. I'd focus more on the bigger picture. Paint color, interior color, miles, year, owners, maintenance, etc. You'll be happy with both the S or XS, I'd look towards the one that you think looks better and has been taken care of. A few aftermarket parts might cost you $1000 or so, but a full repaint/wrap, parts wearing out prematurely due to poor maintenance, etc. is going to be much more than that.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:36 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Setting aside your winter driving considerations, the (S)port Package on the AWD Sedan is appearance only. It's much less fun to drive.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:48 AM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Setting aside your winter driving considerations, the (S)port Package on the AWD Sedan is appearance only. It's much less fun to drive.
dont forget the nicer seats, that and red interior did it for me.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:01 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Corprin
dont forget the nicer seats, that and red interior did it for me.
Sport seats were standard on both the xS and the RWD Sport. Same seats.

Monaco Red Leather was only available on the AE and LE special production models.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:33 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
My gut says that if you're in conditions where you think the AWD will help in the snow what you really need is snow tires...which, if it isn't really an option then, its not an option ...

So the only real big difference between the AWD and the RWD will be that the AWD understeers more making the car seem more stable which you can probably tune on the RWD a bit with suspension tweaks (swaybar size/stiffness/settings)

As for reliability, there is nothing really widely reported as begin an issue on these cars that is specific to the AWD cars or AWD components...as mentioned above, having more components may mean more issues but the transfer case and front diff are pretty solid...axles may need to be replaced in the future but really aren't a big deal or expensive and when damaged are more a product of driving on bad roads and lowering the car...one thing I will say that is for sure, working on the front end of the AWD cars can be more complicated because of how cramped things are with all the extra parts shoehorned into the same space as the RWD cars
Old 04-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Corprin

Sport seats were standard on both the xS and the RWD Sport. Same seats.

Monaco Red Leather was only available on the AE and LE special production models.
yes, there is slightly more to the xS than appearance, the seats!
Old 04-08-2019, 12:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Corprin
yes, there is slightly more to the xS than appearance, the seats!
Well, you get flappy paddles, too. And a square set of 7.5" duckfeet. But I wouldn't write home about that.

You know, brakes and suspension components and wheels can always be upgraded, but the tight steering ratio in the RWD-Sport is surprisingly significant, and unlikely to
be something anyone would swap. If you ever get a chance to drive the two one after another, you'll probably agree.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-08-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:07 PM
Corprin

Well, you get flappy paddles, too. And a square set of 7.5" duckfeet. But I wouldn't write home about that.

You know, brakes and suspension components and wheels can always be upgraded, but the tight steering ratio in the RWD-Sport is surprisingly significant, and unlikely to
be something anyone would swap. If you ever get a chance to drive the two one after another, you'll probably agree.
I did, and I would agree. Sadly the AWD was required at time of purchase. If I were open to RWD I’d have bought an e90 M3 sedan.

Ive kicked around the idea of a steering rack swap. But haven’t figured out the functionality of the VDC.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:06 PM
yehanm4a1
Registered Member

Thanks guys that's really helpful. I am very interested in the suspension. I drove my friend's mini cooper (base) a lot in Philly. Non of my passengers feel good about the stiff suspension and the horrible roads, though it was OK to me. Just wonder if the suspension on rwd S can be even worse on those roads....Anyway, I always try to avoid those bumpy areas and get me on the highway and eventually move out of Philly....
Old 04-08-2019, 02:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I can't wrap my head around a comparison to a Mini, sport model or otherwise. Hard pass going down that rabbit hole.

Just get the xS. It's upscale, looks great, and answers your concerns about winter weather. There is no wrong answer.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:20 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
If you park on the roads you will have a tough time getting off the curb after it snows several inches. The limited slip will put most of the power to the (rear) right wheel and you will just spin out back onto the curb. I would consider the AWD more reliable in that case, but if you have a garage you will be fine.

Quick Reply: Is RWD G37S much more reliable than AWD G37xS?