Rear Swaybar from RWD on AWD. How much of a difference will this really make?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 09:20 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Rear Swaybar from RWD on AWD. How much of a difference will this really make?

I do not speed anymore, I will not be taking turns fast. I will not be testing the abilities of how much speed my tires can handle.

With that being said. How much will the RWD sway bar truly make on an AWD car, if a person is truly driving the car normally on a day to day situation. Not speeding, but just cruising and driving.

Also, how much should I expect to pay if I brought it to a legitimate shop? Is this easy that any legitimate shop can do it or is it a better safe then sorry situation and to bring it to Infiniti if I decide to do this "upgrade"
Old 01-14-2016, 09:23 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
approx. an extra 3 lbs.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:24 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Actually that is a good question as I also have one sitting in the garage waiting for spring to install it.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:44 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
My understanding of a sway bar is to make the car handle more neutral - reduce understeer/oversteer. If you're not encountering any of these conditions in your driving style then why bother replacing it..........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Understeer_and_oversteer

A sway bar will not enhance straightline handling.

Can't comment on how well the awd handles as it felt way too soft for my tastes when test driving.

The S sedan had moderate understeer (plowing through the corner). Thicker swaybars helped this.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:34 PM
SheLLz
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Just buy another car already please....

or search the forums
Old 01-15-2016, 05:26 AM
grojas112
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I currently have a G37xS sedan. About two years ago I upgraded my rear sway bar and my springs. I went with swift springs and I decided to upgrade the rear sway bar with the sport rear sway bar since it is thicker than the AWD. I left the front bar alone since it's thick as it is.
I was wondering if I decide to upgrade my current setup with hotchkis front and rear sway bars will I see a big difference.

Thanks

Gabe
Old 01-15-2016, 07:17 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by mjnoles1
I do not speed anymore, I will not be taking turns fast. I will not be testing the abilities of how much speed my tires can handle.

With that being said. How much will the RWD sway bar truly make on an AWD car, if a person is truly driving the car normally on a day to day situation. Not speeding, but just cruising and driving.
If you drive you car as mentioned above, you will only notice a lighter wallet.
Seriously, you might feel a little less body roll, but it won't me much.

Last edited by SonicVQ; 01-15-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:47 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
My understanding of a sway bar is to make the car handle more neutral - reduce understeer/oversteer. If you're not encountering any of these conditions in your driving style then why bother replacing it..........
Let me add to this.

The anti-roll or anti-sway bar is used to adjust the "roll stiffness" of the front and rear of a car when turning. They don't do anything when driving straight.

Understeer is when the front roll stiffness is greater than the rear roll stiffness.
Oversteer is when the rear roll stiffness is greater than the front roll stiffness.

A higher roll stiffness (larger/stiffer bar) transfers more weight to the outside wheel and allows flatter cornering.

Why does AWD have a larger bar than RWD? Since there is and extra 100-150 pounds of weight on the front axle, they needed in increase the front roll stiffness to keep the required amount of understeer. (Almost all cars are designed to understeer as it is perceived safer... you know where you are going to crash)

When you add a larger rear bar you increase the rear roll stiffness and reduce the understeer. However, the more you increase the roll stiffness the quicker the rear grip can break away (snap oversteer), especially in lower friction conditions like rain and snow.

If you do any modifications to your suspension take the time to learn the new limits and learn what happens when those limits are exceeded.

Understeer can also be reduced by trail braking into the corner and smoothly transition off the brake on to the gas. If you "stab and steer" the front end is overwhelmed and understeers.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:54 AM
grojas112
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Thank you
Old 01-15-2016, 09:25 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
It made a good amount of difference on my car. I picked up a 370Z rear sway for dirt cheap so it was worth the upgrade for 40 bucks.
The following users liked this post:
joebrez (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 09:51 AM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

SonicVQ, excellent explaination. Do you think swapping the stock rwd sway bar will make the awd G37 prone to fishingtailing in winter weather?

The reason why I am asking how much true difference it will make, is my service adviser is strongly suggesting not to waste my money as he asked a few techs, and all said I would not go fast enough to notice any difference and it would be a waste of money as it is such a small difference you will not notice any change.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,429 Posts
The reason why I am asking how much true difference it will make, is my service adviser is strongly suggesting not to waste my money as he asked a few techs, and all said I would not go fast enough to notice any difference and it would be a waste of money as it is such a small difference you will not notice any change.
If he knows you well enough, and knows your declared driving style, then yes... he's right. Don't bother.

mjnoles1, I turned 52 the other day, and I say that just to point out that I'm no kid racer. I've only auto-crossed the G a few times. Primarily, the car is used to shuttle kids back and forth from after-school events, or soccer practice, or the pet store. My life is pretty boring here in Suburbia. Satisfying, but boring nonetheless.

Anyway... I replaced both swaybars on my 6MT with Eibach sways, and it was the single best mod I've done to the car. Understeer is gone, and oversteer is available on command (if you turn off traction control.) While you might not drive your car where you experience understeer, you do drive it, right? And I'm assuming you have to make turns at intersections, and on-ramps, etc.

Simply put, a stronger set of swaybars will give you added confidence at all speeds, in any situation where you experience body roll... which is pretty much any time you turn the steering wheel.

I genuinely can't relate to that. No offense.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:17 AM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Rochester, I certainly know replacing them with aftermarket sways is going to make a huge difference. But I am just looking to change the rear sway bar to the oem red rear sway bar. I am trying to figure out if that will make a big change.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:42 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,429 Posts
Rochester, I certainly know replacing them with aftermarket sways is going to make a huge difference. But I am just looking to change the rear sway bar to the oem red rear sway bar. I am trying to figure out if that will make a big change.
On a scale, you're considering going from A to B, whereas a few years ago I went from B to C.

My advice is to skip B, collect underpants, and go directly to profit.

The following users liked this post:
joebrez (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 12:00 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

I am just used to a sporty car, these feel like a bus. If the stock rwd bar wont make a difference, I'll keep it like it is until I can sell it.

Quick Reply: Rear Swaybar from RWD on AWD. How much of a difference will this really make?