G37 Sedan

Spin-Off: Your longest road trip (G sedan)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 04:49 PM
Banshee
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I do 350 mile trips all the time in the G lol longest trip was in a Uhaul did 2,200 miles from south Texas to Boston. That was a lot of fun...in the winter.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:16 PM
smitty37g

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
longest trip, 1150 miles... S.W Fl to Philly Pa and then back.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:46 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
You can buy hygrometers that can measure how much of your antifreeze still remains in good condition. After 52k miles, mine tested as new. Could save you some time. Not money, really, but time.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:12 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
994 miles round trip. From Columbia SC to Bowie Maryland. Making that trip again on the 29th and dreading every mile of it.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:14 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
You can buy hygrometers that can measure how much of your antifreeze still remains in good condition. After 52k miles, mine tested as new. Could save you some time. Not money, really, but time.
That's a really good idea. I'm at 70k I would like to see what mine would test at.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:16 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Some of you may remember me posting about using a garmin gps with custom routes for road trips.

Well, it just so happen i'm about to leave for one in a few days. Go to upload the routes to the gps and no go. It refuses to see the routes. Normally this is a 2 minute process. After several hours I gave up and bought another one. The unit itself is barely 2 years old and hardly used. Maybe setting the clock back will make it work¿? However, can't set the clock back on something that receives gps.

Point being, check your technology ahead of time! I've been using various garmin products for a good decade, both on the bikes and cars. Sure there's google maps which is good if you have a signal or a few stops, but is very klunky to make a custom route with many shaping points.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:48 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Some of you may remember me posting about using a garmin gps with custom routes for road trips.

Well, it just so happen i'm about to leave for one in a few days. Go to upload the routes to the gps and no go. It refuses to see the routes. Normally this is a 2 minute process. After several hours I gave up and bought another one. The unit itself is barely 2 years old and hardly used. Maybe setting the clock back will make it work¿? However, can't set the clock back on something that receives gps.

Point being, check your technology ahead of time! I've been using various garmin products for a good decade, both on the bikes and cars. Sure there's google maps which is good if you have a signal or a few stops, but is very klunky to make a custom route with many shaping points.
I'm still rocking OE Nav with the 2012 maps. Aside from wildly inaccurate ETAs, it's mostly OK
Old 06-20-2018, 02:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I'm still rocking OE Nav with the 2012 maps. Aside from wildly inaccurate ETAs, it's mostly OK
Same. 2011 maps.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:11 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Cool feature of the OEM maps I never noticed....It displays mileage to the next rest stop.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:17 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

This will be a good opportunity to program the destination, some 700 miles away into the OE nav. Last time I tried that while playing mp3's the whole thing froze. Had to reboot the car to make it work again. I've since installed a nav firmware update (disk 0), so we'll see.

I do have the voice turned off. Mostly all I hear is 'recalculating', 'recalculating' because my route != nissan's.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:20 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
This will be a good opportunity to program the destination, some 700 miles away into the OE nav. Last time I tried that while playing mp3's the whole thing froze. Had to reboot the car to make it work again. I've since installed a nav firmware update (disk 0), so we'll see.

I do have the voice turned off. Mostly all I hear is 'recalculating', 'recalculating' because my route != nissan's.
Yes, I have the voice turned off too. If not 'recalculating' it's 'make a u-turn'.

My route home from Columbus was ~60 miles shorter than the OE GPS. Took nearly an hour of 'recalculating' and before it finally figured out where I was going.

It's a good thing I have a keen sense of direction
Old 06-21-2018, 08:51 PM
Xavior187
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove my 6MT IPL from North Carolina to Arizona approx 2,300 miles. It was a surprisingly relaxing and a fun drive especially being able to open her up when there was no others cars around. Total trip time was about 40hrs which included my two naps at rest areas. Sleeping in the drivers seat is not recommended, it was rough needless to say! I can't remember how many times I had to fill up since it was 3 years ago but honestly it wasn't anything to complain about.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:09 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
For an unknown reason I still use my car's NAV instead of my phone. Maybe it's because I don't feel like getting a phone mount, and having to keep picking up the phone seems lame
Old 06-26-2018, 12:57 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Just got back from a 1700 mile 3 day road trip. I must be getting old because the lumbar support seems inadequate now.

Probably a good idea to drop the psi on the tires for a more comfortable ride. I generally run ~33 locally, 35 when hitting technical roads. Given the 20-30°F swing was enough to bump up to psi to 'uncomfortable'.

Legally going 80 mph (SD) in a straight line for long periods of time is extremely boring. Enough so that detouring to some county/state highways was necessary to keep my sanity (and stay awake).

https://goo.gl/maps/hK8Deg7REA82

Wonder what happens after a heavy rain..................

Day 1 was the longest, ~650 miles from chicago to fargo. Programmed in the city to the car's navi before starting. No lock up issues with mp3 playback the whole time. Used google maps the whole way for traffic info. Had my garmin going too, but it was attached to the side mount.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5wdtzvmtMLGzZgMP7

Highway 44 in western IA was fantastic. https://goo.gl/maps/GxK5RFWacrB2 Long rolling hills, going up and down, up and down, some upwards of a mile or longer (picture a sine wave).

Here's an elevation plot from the gps for a section of the road.

https://i.imgur.com/A74Tupd.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/wqkJxjcqUbk --- poor google car getting passed by a cement truck!!

Last edited by JSolo; 06-26-2018 at 01:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
STownSaint (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 10:21 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Neat post!

LOVE the idea of sharing Street Views of unique roads we've all come across. Will do some thinking for ones I've been on.

Elevation plot's cool too, which software/app?

Quick Reply: Spin-Off: Your longest road trip (G sedan)