G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 10:48 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
I always assumed the lower trims for any Porsche were still pretty great.
Nope. I can only assume the Mecan GTS is a better car than the Mecan S that I drove. And similarly the Mecan Turbo over the GTS. By that same reasoning, and based on my experience, I can also assume the base-model Mecan is utter garbage. Not even a traditional boxer engine in the Mecan; (same V6-design in the Cayanne and the Panorama.) You know, my wife's humble Forester is a boxer... just saying.

Also, you do a whole lot of waiting around at the Porsche dealership, while they assess if you're going to stick it out or walk away. The sales experience also sucked. I expected better considering the clues: middle aged white guy on a Thursday afternoon, driving up in a pristine, modified sport sedan. But again... nope.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:19 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
That Impala SS was a unique car. I relate to that disappointment.

Starting with teaser pics back in 2005 to 2006, I was convinced the all new, retro design Camaro SS would be my next car. For a couple years I was daydreaming about that car, and couldn't wait for the release. Then all my ambition evaporated away when I finally sat in one at the autoshow. It was horrible. Then later that year, I test-drove it anyway. The car was a street monster, but felt wrong in every possible way. I was devastated, and ended up modifying my 2003 Maxima SE 6MT instead, while turning my next-car ambitions to the G37S 6MT.
I have a very similar bad feeling about the next gen Subaru STI and VW Golf R. I really hope I am wrong, but I have a bad feeling that they will not raise the bar enough to be competitive with similarly priced Mustangs and Camaros like they used to be.

I have higher hopes for the new Nissan "400Z." The latest rumor is that it will have the 3.0T from the Infiniti (old news), but now have a 400hp version and a 475hp version. I feel like they need at least this much power to be a player in the sports car market today. It would be great if it was, in fact, turbo as that will be easier to add power to than a N/A V8 like Camaros and Mustangs. I feel like this car should debut soon if it is a reality as 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the Nissan Z and 2020 marks the 50th anniversary of the car in the U.S.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:25 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Spent a couple of hours at the local Porsche dealership today. After eyeballing the Mecan for a while online, I thought I'd see it in person. I came away with a whole bunch of answers and info between the base model, the S, the GTS and the Turbo. In my research, the base wasn't in consideration because of lackluster performance, and the Turbo wasn't in consideration because of astronomical pricing. That left the S and the GTS, separated by 20hp and 30 in of torque. That, and the air suspension and some trim considerations is all that differs between the two. (That, and $15k, LOL)

The overall dimensions are fine and as expected. The mid-level sport(ish) seats are also fine. No thigh support, but adequate (nonadjustable) torso support. The cabin layout is very rewarding, kind of fancy, and very upscale. The rear visibility is absolutely horrendous. OMG, it's a tiny porthole into what's behind you.

I drove a 2017 S model, and came away super disappointed. There was zero throttle response. None whatsoever. The power delivery was mushy and slow, and the overall experience of straight-line performance was slow compared to my G. The PDK dual-clutch transmission was excellent on the up-shifts, and jarring on the downshifts. Flappy paddles rotate with the wheel, which was nice. And self-shifting was fun for like 3 minutes. After that... yawn. Lastly, the car couldn't handle worth a bucket of crap. However, the brakes were excellent.

Welp. That sucked. But at least it's out of my head now.

I'm surprised you thought it was slow. I think a lot of it has to do with the 6MT vs auto, and your Gs gearing from a "feel" perspective. Car & Driver got a 13.6 quarter, which probably isn't significantly slower than your car.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-s-test-review

Nonetheless, poor seats, lousy visibility, and Porsche pricing doesn't sound like stepping up to the GTS would solve much. I remain completely unimpressed with "performance" crossovers, regardless of how much motor the manufacturer stuffs in them.

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I have a very similar bad feeling about the next gen Subaru STI and VW Golf R. I really hope I am wrong, but I have a bad feeling that they will not raise the bar enough to be competitive with similarly priced Mustangs and Camaros like they used to be.
Agreed, I think to raise the bar, prices them out of the current market. $40K is already a kinda tough sell for what is, at it's roots, an 'economy' based car. VW could certainly match the RS3 level of performance in the next R, but it's not going to do that with a $40K price tag. And Subaru doesn't have much beyond the 2.4 DI Turbo to play with, and I don't see them dumping a ton of money into the R&D to make it a 400hp monster for the limited number of sales it will fetch relative to the WRX.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You're right... "slow" is perception, and on paper it's very similar. But behind the wheel, it's simply boring.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:22 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Kinda want to test drive an STI. I'd be the only owner that doesn't vape/drink Monster
Old 09-19-2018, 12:42 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
That Impala SS was a unique car. I relate to that disappointment.

Starting with teaser pics back in 2005 to 2006, I was convinced the all new, retro design Camaro SS would be my next car. For a couple years I was daydreaming about that car, and couldn't wait for the release. Then all my ambition evaporated away when I finally sat in one at the autoshow. It was horrible. Then later that year, I test-drove it anyway. The car was a street monster, but felt wrong in every possible way. I was devastated, and ended up modifying my 2003 Maxima SE 6MT instead, while turning my next-car ambitions to the G37S 6MT.
Oh and then the Mercury Marauder. Sigh!!! Couldn't stand that thing either.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:09 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by TheLocNar
Oh and then the Mercury Marauder. Sigh!!! Couldn't stand that thing either.
The Marauder made a great first impression. But that was it... Nothing to back it up. Like the mid-80’s Olds 442 and the Monte SS... all trim, no sport. At least the anemic Hurst Olds had that funky lightning-rod shifter. IMO the only 4-dr in the 80's that was worthy was the SHO, and it was fugly. Not that GM's G-body was a 4DR, and God knows the Buick GN was oozing awesomeness, but anyway.

Honestly, now that I'm driving my car again, and after being so deeply disappointed with the Mecan, my next car motivations have chilled, and I'm back to the idea of getting a used F-Type in a few years for around $40k. Plus, winter is coming.

The wife and I have these loose plans where we pre-retire to Vermont after our youngest gets established in college. She's in 10th Grade now, so maybe a relocation and a F-Type are in my future in about 4 years... which is pretty much in line with my general 10-year plan for the G37.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-19-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:42 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Kinda want to test drive an STI. I'd be the only owner that doesn't vape/drink Monster
That's certainly the stereotype

I think the current generation STI is the most comparable to the G37S if you're looking for that mechanical, analog feeling--hydraulic steering, rod operated shifter, etc. I could overlook the interior if it wasn't for the motors tendency to pop ringlands. If you're considering going that route, I'd recommend trying out the Golf R and Audi S3 too.

The Marauder made a great first impression. But that was it... Nothing to back it up. Like the mid-80’s Olds 442 and the Monte SS... all trim, no sport. At least the anemic Hurst Olds had that funky lightning-rod shifter. IMO the only 4-dr in the 80's that was worthy was the SHO, and it was fugly. Not that GM's G-body was a 4DR, and God knows the Buick GN was oozing awesomeness, but anyway.
I lusted after a Monte Carlo SS when I was 16
Old 09-19-2018, 02:24 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I've spent the better part of my workday (sorry boss) reading articles about the Audi RS3. I think this is the one. It lines up perfectly with my plans, in which by the time I'm ready to put my G in storage, the RS3 will have depreciated enough to fit into my budget.

It's insanely fast, handles well, it's practical, and sounds amazing. It also has AWD with a dual-clutch automatic, which is exactly what I want in my next daily driver. I'll keep the G so I can get my manual fix.

Only complaint is the looks, but looks are pretty low on the list of reasons why I purchase vehicles.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:41 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
I've spent the better part of my workday (sorry boss) reading articles about the Audi RS3.
Spend 1/2 day tomorrow researching tuning options
The following users liked this post:
obsidiansamurai (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 07:42 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Nope. I can only assume the Mecan GTS is a better car than the Mecan S that I drove. And similarly the Mecan Turbo over the GTS. By that same reasoning, and based on my experience, I can also assume the base-model Mecan is utter garbage. Not even a traditional boxer engine in the Mecan; (same V6-design in the Cayanne and the Panorama.) You know, my wife's humble Forester is a boxer... just saying.

Also, you do a whole lot of waiting around at the Porsche dealership, while they assess if you're going to stick it out or walk away. The sales experience also sucked. I expected better considering the clues: middle aged white guy on a Thursday afternoon, driving up in a pristine, modified sport sedan. But again... nope.
I've got an idea that's totally out of where you'd normally look I think. The new Volvo XC60, you can get it with a 2.0 turbocharged AND supercharged motor with a plug in hybrid. Will do 0-60 in 4.9 and is a great looking car. Competes around the Macan S pricing. Also plug in hybrid is half way to the Tesla you enjoyed.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 07:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Epiphany
I've got an idea that's totally out of where you'd normally look I think. The new Volvo XC60, you can get it with a 2.0 turbocharged AND supercharged motor with a plug in hybrid. Will do 0-60 in 4.9 and is a great looking car. Competes around the Macan S pricing. Also plug in hybrid is half way to the Tesla you enjoyed.
Thanks for the heads-up. Usually I look away from Volvo because of a past experience. We purchased a 2000 Volvo S40 eighteen years ago, brand new. I genuinely liked that little car, but it kept breaking down, went through 2 turbo replacements, and rusted almost immediately. After two years, we ditched it for fear of Volvo repairs out-of-warranty.

Of course, that was 18 years ago. Just look how far Hyundai has come in 18 years. You would hope a company like Volvo improved even more.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:11 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. Usually I look away from Volvo because of a past experience. We purchased a 2000 Volvo S40 eighteen years ago, brand new. I genuinely liked that little car, but it kept breaking down, went through 2 turbo replacements, and rusted almost immediately. After two years, we ditched it for fear of Volvo repairs out-of-warranty.

Of course, that was 18 years ago. Just look how far Hyundai has come in 18 years. You would hope a company like Volvo improved even more.
I've heard nothing but good things about them recently. The last generation XC60 had a turbo 3.0L inline 6 with some good power, and you could get the polestar tune keeping your warranty which got you 325hp/354ftlb. It's something I'm actually considering in a year or two when I replace my G.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:57 AM
markyo0o

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
That's certainly the stereotype

I think the current generation STI is the most comparable to the G37S if you're looking for that mechanical, analog feeling--hydraulic steering, rod operated shifter, etc. I could overlook the interior if it wasn't for the motors tendency to pop ringlands. If you're considering going that route, I'd recommend trying out the Golf R and Audi S3 too.
I don't think the current STI is worth the price and agree with trying the Golf R/Audi S3. The previous genaration WRX/STI was so much more fun to drive and I think Subaru is losing it's sight on what made the WRX/STI great cars to own.

I may be biased since I miss my 2011 wrx.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:27 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by markyo0o
I don't think the current STI is worth the price
Agreed.

Originally Posted by markyo0o
The previous genaration WRX/STI was so much more fun to drive and I think Subaru is losing it's sight on what made the WRX/STI great cars to own.

I may be biased since I miss my 2011 wrx.
I think you're biased. I've driven both generations. The 2015+ are better cars. While they aren't any faster, especially the STi, because it's still using the same motor, and I miss the hatchback configuration, they handle better, ride better, steer better, and have significantly nicer interiors with more modern features.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?