G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 09:48 PM
Calg37USMC
Premier Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by projectpanda13
Were these made just for the your sedan? I think I've spoke with one person off the G37/370z facebook page that said Tony made a a sedan specific header for him. So you'd be the 2nd? I'd love to own a set one day also.

Latez
That was probably me because I remember talking to a few off the group I've since deleted my FB.

Last edited by Calg37USMC; 08-31-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:51 PM
Calg37USMC
Premier Member

Originally Posted by MaQG37
To add clearance to the infamously low Motordyne muffler, loosen the bolts on the Y pipe, get a jack underneath the mid muffler and slowly jack it up right until the flanges hit the subframe. Then, torque down the Y pipe, you will gain a few inches of clearance and it makes a big difference.

I'm curious to see how your car will sound like Calg37USMC, I have a good feeling it'll be close to mine. It seems most aftermarket header to E370 setups sound similar. I heard a local 370z and G37 sedan that had Stillen/PPE headers to E370 . That was honestly the biggest reason I got a set of aftermarket headers, the lower RPM range exhaust tone with headers changes.
Thanks for the heads up I'll have to do that!
Old 08-31-2017, 09:53 PM
Calg37USMC
Premier Member

I'll try to get a video for you guys!
Old 09-01-2017, 07:19 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Adil
The resonated test pipes are 2.5 of CNT Racing, the Megan Racing Y pipe is 2.5, the mid pipe is stock and the Tanabe axleback is also 2.5
The Y pipe and axleback sounded good but wasn't loud enough, the test pipes does make it loud but raspy too.
Was thinking if there is an option of making it loud and not raspy

FYI.. Not that it really makes much difference, but the Tanabe axle-back is actually 2-3/8" (60mm)... Or at least is was years ago way back when I got mine.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:40 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
FYI.. Not that it really makes much difference, but the Tanabe axle-back is actually 2-3/8" (60mm)... Or at least is was years ago way back when I got mine.
Yep mine was too. I think they are like 60mm then open up some towards the back.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:09 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

My recently new setup. 2.5 from catback. No resonators just a single inlet from Y pipe,Dual outlet muffler. (more like a Y resonator type)

Last edited by guy from norcal; 09-02-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:13 AM
FrankRoshi
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UPDATE: Custom Exhaust Mashup is Finished...

(Feel free to skip a bit... there's a long back story...)

I paid my mechanic $800 to put on Megan headers and Kinetix CBE. I wish I had documented the changes I've made in my exhaust system over the past year... it's been many. All because I couldn't get an exhaust note I like.

On my 2010 G37, I have the stock headers, Berk HFCs, and the Invidia Q300 CBE. That is the sexiest sounding exhaust note I've ever heard. One year ago, I gave that sweet ride to my 17-year-old as his first car. I had fantasies of doing things to it to rob it of power. I never did, and I'm glad I didn't. My son has been very responsible with her. No trouble at all.

One year ago, I bought a 2013 G37xS stock. It has paddle shifters and it drove me crazy that I couldn't hear the exhaust. It made it no fun whatsoever to have paddle shifters. I started making changes to the exhaust.

I was trying to save money. So in addition to the Megan headers and Kinectix HFCs, I bought a Megan Y-pipe and a Manzo Y-back exhaust. After my mechanic did the headers and HFCs, I installed the Y-pipe and Y-back.

OMG, it sounded like sh*t. It sounded like a jet ski that was lugging. It was so bad, so embarrassing, I spent $1K on the Invidia Q300... the very thing I was trying to avoid with all the cheap stuff. It sounded better, but not good. I even got to the point that I contacted the online store that sold them to me, saying they had given me the wrong part. I was relying on online pictures, which were wrong. I saw a resonator in my setup that had baffles in them, so to me, they weren't resonators, they were mufflers.

Eventually, I had to admit I was wrong, and then looked under my son's G and there were the resonators.

It's a long story what happened next and there's a whole lot of posting on an exhaust thread here; so much so, someone scolded me for hijacking the thread. I bought $99 flux core wire welder at Harbor Freight; used an extra X-pipe from my first Q300, which was bad (the flange on one end was only tacked on and it was LOUD.) I cut the Y-pipe and the Y-back up (don't use a metal grinding disk on a 4" angle grinder; your cuts won't be accurate enough and you'll have to make pass after pass with your welder to close the gaps); knocked the flange on one end of the X-pipe; welded it onto the cut Y-pipe; and welded the flangeless X-pipe to the cut Y-back.

This opened everything up from choking down to 1 small pipe at one point, to having an X-pipe instead.
That sounded like sh*t for a long time, because I had leaks ar the HFC joint and at the new flange to flange joint I made (because I tried tightening that joint up from a creeper under the car and only used 3 bolts.)

Yesterday, I took the piece I made (from HFC to muffler out) and redid the flange joint and wrapped those flexible joints in the Y-pipe (because one of them showed signs of burning/high temps... like a leak). I put that make-a-gasket sealer in there and in the joints fore and aft.

Before I tell you the results... when the leaks were present, you heard a lot of engine noise from the front of the car, not the back...especially from the area behind the R front wheel.

As of the hours of hot, finger-cutting (those gaskets are sharp in places) work yesterday, she's got a new voice.

That's a lot of back story to say, I believe the Megan headers significantly changed the note of my car.
The major difference between the two cars, and at one point, the only difference, is/was the Megan headers.

The difference in notes:
Stock headers: a growl where I can hear each individual cylinder discharge as separate sounds... I can mimic it by exhaling with my uvula hanging down flapping...

Megan headers: I cannot hear the individual cylinder discharges... it's more like a purr than a growl. The individual fires seem to flow together. That might make for more power, via a more orderly exit of the exhaust gases down the exhaust system; but, I'm not a racer. Both these cars are daily drivers, and the growl arouses my limbic system more than the purr.

Finally... the question for you before an after Megan header owners...
Do/did your Megan headers change the exhaust note of your G/Z significantly?
How?
Do you like it?

Pictures and clips coming soon... probably later today... (actually there are two clips earlier in this thread... I added them to my post months ago saying I'd add clips when available... I was bowing out of the thread after being scolded for hijacking...)

frankroshi
(I don't have a signature line... I do have the Z1 intake plenum, K&N Typhoon CAI, and an UpRev tune, in addition to the above.)
Old 09-05-2017, 10:14 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,565 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by guy from norcal
Very creative setup. What are these tips? Cudos for keeping the OEM oval look.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:49 AM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Very creative setup. What are these tips? Cudos for keeping the OEM oval look.
The tips are made by vibrant performance. I'm very happy with the look and quality so far.
Vibrant Performance .
Old 09-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,565 Likes on 3,422 Posts
The tips are made by vibrant performance. I'm very happy with the look and quality so far.
Vibrant Performance .
Brilliant. I really like what you did here. The center muffler looks awfully low, however. Worried?
Old 09-06-2017, 04:48 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Brilliant. I really like what you did here. The center muffler looks awfully low, however. Worried?
Yeah it is a tad low. I have scraped it a few times on large speed bumps.
Going to try to see if i can raise it up some. If not then i will make a scrape guard for it so i dont' get it caught on anything.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:16 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Yeah it is a tad low. I have scraped it a few times on large speed bumps.
Going to try to see if i can raise it up some. If not then i will make a scrape guard for it so i dont' get it caught on anything.

Sounds like Motordyne. And, how are you going to post a custom exhaust setup and not post a sound clip? We need drive by clips!
Old 09-07-2017, 01:48 AM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MaQG37
Sounds like Motordyne. And, how are you going to post a custom exhaust setup and not post a sound clip? We need drive by clips!
It's been so damn hot this week 106-108 deg. Hopefully tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:43 PM
c1utchh
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Back again guys after a fun filled week of problems, solutions and overall hype and excitement. I managed to finally finish and install all my air flow mods.

I'm currently running
AdminTuning 3' CAI Long tube
Berks HFC
Ark Grip CBE
upRev Tune 300whp 256trq

I should have some sound clips for you guys in a few days.

I actually screwed up a bit performance wise, so i will have to rebuild and retune later on. My idea is Z1 plenium, EPS Big Bore kit from Admintuning, FI or Berks Resonated Test Pipes. Followed by months of hibernation.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:24 AM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by c1utchh
Back again guys after a fun filled week of problems, solutions and overall hype and excitement. I managed to finally finish and install all my air flow mods.

I'm currently running
AdminTuning 3' CAI Long tube
Berks HFC
Ark Grip CBE
upRev Tune 300whp 256trq

I should have some sound clips for you guys in a few days.

I actually screwed up a bit performance wise, so i will have to rebuild and retune later on. My idea is Z1 plenium, EPS Big Bore kit from Admintuning, FI or Berks Resonated Test Pipes. Followed by months of hibernation.
Do you get those amazing jag f-type crackles and pops on downshift?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread