Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MT article - Q/G by the numbers..

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:54 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
It really doesn't matter who stole from who. I'm pretty sure every manufacturer has their concepts. And perhaps Mazda had that styling cue long before. We don't know everything. The fact remains, they look very similar. Does knowing who came first make you feel better or change the fact that they look alike?
Right, and when I spend $40k+ for a luxury car. I sure don't want it to look like a $25k car.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Micron

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

What I see a LOT of in this thread...
They didn't make it how *I* want it... WAH!
Two Responses:

1. We live in a free market. If you don't like it, buy something you will.

2. You're on a car enthusiast forum... If you don't like a facet of the new model, but like others there is NOTHING stopping you from customizing it to make it your own. Magnusson-Moss empowered all of us to do what we want with our cars without concern from the OEM. If you can't or won't, see Response #1.

From the get-go, the re-brand of Infiniti has been to appeal to a WIDER MARKET. I don't see how that could be confusing as they improve some areas they were lacking and leaving others relatively untouched.

I'm not sure what kind of windfall in performance improvements some of you were expecting out of a luxury sports sedan... Or where you got the impression that this is the target market to even expect changes of any significance?

We all have our gripes, our opinions... But does that mean the Q50 is a horrible vehicle that is going to sink the brand? Nope, hardly. If it's not your preference, arguing with everyone and trying to justify your opinion and force it on others isn't going to change anyone's minds.
        The following users liked this post:
        g37guy01 (08-07-2013)
        Old 08-07-2013, 01:24 PM
        P Casey
        Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
        Originally Posted by scrubsauce
        i wonder if anyone else noticed this

Yup.
        Old 08-07-2013, 01:48 PM
        g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
        It really doesn't matter who stole from who. I'm pretty sure every manufacturer has their concepts. And perhaps Mazda had that styling cue long before. We don't know everything. The fact remains, they look very similar. Does knowing who came first make you feel better or change the fact that they look alike?
        Actually it makes a difference to me. Infiniti has been accused on this board of stealing from both Hyundai and now Mazda. How pathetic is that?
        Old 08-07-2013, 01:59 PM
        Micron

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
        Originally Posted by g37guy01
        Actually it makes a difference to me. Infiniti has been accused on this board of stealing from both Hyundai and now Mazda. How pathetic is that?
        Until they overcome the laws of aerodynamics, they're all going to have the same essential shape. Styling differences and similarities can be argued up and down, but they're done based on market research as to what people find appealing and how those are trending. Again, any good market research will point in the same direction.

That said, at least all of the car vendors recognize this... unlike Apple, who would be suing everyone for having a round steering wheel!
        Old 08-07-2013, 02:23 PM
        sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
        Originally Posted by g37guy01
        Are how are you so sure of this? Do you know for a fact that Hyundai or Mazda didn't come up with this design cue before Infiniti? The fact is, we don't know what designers are doing behind the scenes for any manufacturers. Simply arguing that Infiniti did it first without concrete proof because you feel the need to justify your fondness for the brand is silly. I'm not stating who stole from who. But I will agree that one looks like the other. My point is, even if you dug deep into the research and design timeline for each manufactures and is able to prove out who stole from who, it doesn't change the fact that they still look alike. And it doesn't change the fact that for the general population not on the forum, both the Sonata and Mazda6 are great contenders for most. But whatever makes you sleep better.
        Old 08-07-2013, 02:32 PM
        sniper27

VWVortex.com - 2014 Infiniti G37 Price Drops $4800

Interesting thread over at the VW/Audi forum.
        Old 08-07-2013, 02:32 PM
        g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
        Are how are you so sure of this? Do you know for a fact that Hyundai or Mazda didn't come up with this design cue before Infiniti? The fact is, we don't know what designers are doing behind the scenes for any manufacturers. Simply arguing that Infiniti did it first without concrete proof because you feel the need to justify your fondness for the brand is silly. I'm not stating who stole from who. But I will agree that one looks like the other. My point is, even if you dug deep into the research and design timeline for each manufactures and is able to prove out who stole from who, it doesn't change the fact that they still look alike. And it doesn't change the fact that for the general population not on the forum, both the Sonata and Mazda6 are great contenders for most. But whatever makes you sleep better.
        This was covered in a prior post, but Infiniti seems true to itself from the concept in 2009.

You are right on one thing...from a distance of 10 miles, the Korean and Japanese manufactures look similar. But when one gets closer:

- tire check
        - tail light check
        - bumper check

Yep they look alike.

As you said, and I echo the sentiment, whatever makes you sleep better.
        Old 08-07-2013, 02:47 PM
        sniper27

If you can see a car from 10 miles away, I applaud you.
        Old 08-07-2013, 04:49 PM
        willvega

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
        Decided to do a few quick photo comparisons of the Q50 vs Mazda6
        Name:  q50mazda6overlay_zps5f858441.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  43.5 KB
        Name:  fronts-compared_zps6f0a95c4.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  49.2 KB
        Name:  trunkcomparisson_zps0832f5f4.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  27.2 KB
        Name:  REARcompare2_zps456b243a.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  58.1 KB
        Name:  REARcompare_zpsf480b567.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  64.7 KB
        Just as a bonus the Hyundai Sonata
        Name:  rearcomparesonata_zpsa515ac5b.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  66.0 KB
        Sonata Tails overlaid almost exactly
        Name:  sonataoverlay_zps9841e2aa.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  60.9 KB

Now the front ends of the Q50 and Mazda6
        Name:  frontoverlay_zpse0343df4.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  143.7 KB
        Headlight shapes are very close
        Name:  frontcomparison2_zps4357e04b.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  135.8 KB

Lastly, the concepts these cars were based on the Infiniti essence and the Mazda Shinari
        Name:  conceptcompare_zps62c730e6.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  98.6 KB

IMHO Infiniti would of had undeniable hit appearance wise if the next gen Q line (Q60 coupe /Q50 sedan) looked much closer to the aforementioned concepts.
        The following 7 users liked this post by willvega:
        BLamb (08-07-2013), blnewt (08-07-2013), dragion (08-08-2013), Redpit (08-07-2013), Rochester (08-07-2013), rpm&my_G35 (08-08-2013), sniper27 (08-07-2013) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
        Old 08-07-2013, 05:06 PM
        Rochester
        Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
        That was very cool! Well done with photoshop, willvega. Looking at the car in this context, the Mazda has the far better looking front end and hood design (IMO), while the Sonata has the edge on tail end. The Infiniti's edge? That would be engine and luxury.

Just checked, and apparently my local dealership has some Q50's in stock. Time to go take a look.
        Old 08-07-2013, 05:10 PM
        scrubsauce

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
        Hahha, holy ****.

Infiniti definitely lost me as a customer in the future. Granted I am not an asian housewife or whoever they're targeting this time around, they probably don't need my business. I wish them financial success, but the only ones that speak to me today are German car manufacturers. They're offering turbo4s and manual transmissions for their "sport sedans".

Lexus is doing it better with their unique styling and LFA inspired cockpits, but they also offer the same outdated drivetrains as Infiniti. Not to mention performance wise, a NismoZ or G37S costs about $46k, which is in the same territory as a twin turbo 335i or S4 both of which utilize seriously underrated engines capable of a lot more torque and easily 400hp on stock internals, or anything 'Murican that offer 420-450hp v8s for $30-36 grand.
        Old 08-07-2013, 05:28 PM
        sniper27

Based on those photoshops above, I wonder if certain individuals still thing the only think similar between those cars are the lugnuts. denial at it's best.
        The following users liked this post:
        blnewt (08-07-2013)
        Old 08-07-2013, 05:42 PM
        LilRocket

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
        Originally Posted by blnewt
        I don't care, the front end ruined it for me, that large-mouth bass of a grill probably cost it the .2 secs
        the rear and rims killed it for me blah
        Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 PM
        MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
        VWVortex.com - 2014 Infiniti G37 Price Drops $4800

Interesting thread over at the VW/Audi forum.
        Yup - read the same on the MT site...

2014 G37 Bargain...

Did they eliminate the sports pkg?? It states the only options are Premium and Nav packages....

Quick Reply: MT article - Q/G by the numbers..