Sponsored by:

MT article - Q/G by the numbers..

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
And "not building the car I didnt buy", well, again, if they offered this stuff at all on an AWD sedan, I would have most likely paid for it. So I can at least blame them for not building the car I would pay for
I also would have bought an AWD Sedan, if it came with all the sport options and the 6MT. But it didn't.

We both made our choices: you chose AWD, and I chose better handling, braking and steering. However, neither of us can blame Infiniti for not getting everything we wanted. When something doesn't smell right, you don't blame the wind.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:18 AM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
great read, thanks. first model / introduction year have to start somewhere...maybe just hopefully they will something up their sleeves to compete with Audi/BMW. A 400 - 450hp AWD beast would be bad ***
Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 AM
LOLat6MTFanboys
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a Very entertaining thread for me, thanks to all the participants.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:27 AM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
If you wanted better brakes, better suspension and better steering in OEM trim... then you shouldn't have bought the AWD.

But you probably already know that.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:09 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a link to todays autoblog article:
2014 Infiniti Q50 First Drive - Autoblog

In the process of reading right now
Old 08-05-2013, 07:28 PM
scottp2765

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
If you wanted better brakes, better suspension and better steering in OEM trim... then you shouldn't have bought the AWD.

But you probably already know that.
Yes I know that? I want it on the AWD.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:32 PM
scottp2765

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Or rather, Infiniti shouldnt force those that want those things into buying RWD only. I mean look at Porsche: the most powerful 911 you can get is AWD only. Isnt Nissans own GT-R AWD only?

Granted, the brakes on my AWD sedan are just fine. I suppose if I were tracking it that might be a different story.

Suspension can be fixed with $$$. Really the only thing on that list you CANT fix is the steering, and that might be do-able (Ive never looked into it)
I live in the city and don't have a garage to do work in or know anyone I would trust to do it. I want it factory with a great warranty like a luxury car should have. I don't want to have to do it myself. That is part of my point. Improve the car every year. Make me want to buy a new one.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:10 AM
kcg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess there's hope yet, per auto blog may be 6mt down the road and the wonky steering is optional.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kcg37
I guess there's hope yet, per auto blog may be 6mt down the road and the wonky steering is optional.
Shoudn't you drive the car before proclaiming or repeating the steering is wonky? Me thinks this is the wave of the future.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Today we have fully electronic throttles, traction control, anti-lock brakes, and continuously variable transmissions. So it seems that drive-by-wire steering plays in that same wheelhouse.

I agree, it doesn't sound like something that you would pay extra for on a Sport Package. But then, I don't think Infiniti cares anymore about the phrase "Sport Package". That's clearly not a priority for the new, reinvented Infiniti brand.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:54 AM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Its not that .2 s is meaningful...its that 0% of the update was aimed at improving the dynamics of the car. I could care less about the styling (man, you millennials are obsessed over image). The hybrid is way too much more money with very little performance increase, and everything seems to indicate that the chassis dynamics are about the same. Of course, every other competitor is basically doing the same thing. Again, they are chasing the market, and the market cares more about fluffy image crap than performance. Sad time to be a car guy.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
Its not that .2 s is meaningful...its that 0% of the update was aimed at improving the dynamics of the car. I could care less about the styling (man, you millennials are obsessed over image). The hybrid is way too much more money with very little performance increase, and everything seems to indicate that the chassis dynamics are about the same. Of course, every other competitor is basically doing the same thing. Again, they are chasing the market, and the market cares more about fluffy image crap than performance. Sad time to be a car guy.
Its ashame, just as Infiniti starts to talk about "Inspired Performance" we seemingly get the exact opposite (starting with the JX, really)

Hopefully they dont ditch RWD/RWD-biased-AWD altogether! Then they might as well just be an expensive version of Nissan everything.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Its ashame, just as Infiniti starts to talk about "Inspired Performance" we seemingly get the exact opposite (starting with the JX, really)

Hopefully they dont ditch RWD/RWD-biased-AWD altogether! Then they might as well just be an expensive version of Nissan everything.
Well if that is their strategy, the market will let them know how well they like their products.

Frankly, I think they are in a great position, but again, the market will let em know how they did. Infiniti won't get their answer from this thread.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by g37guy01
Infiniti won't get their answer from this thread.
Aw-w-w.

You're right, of course. The (growing majority) demographic in this forum is not the target market for Infiniti any longer. And as the G37 gets older, and Infiniti continues to evolve, that gap will only get wider.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Well if that is their strategy, the market will let them know how well they like their products.

Frankly, I think they are in a great position, but again, the market will let em know how they did. Infiniti won't get their answer from this thread.
True. A guy I work with was reading this stuff and leans more toward the "they are getting away from what made them great for enthusiasts" stance.

I think demographic/sales wise this is a good move for them, but driving experience wise I think its a letdown for forums like this. I know I bought my G (even if it WAS just AWD ) for the sportiness of it. Looking back, driving the i30 it replaced in my garage, I could never go back to the more luxurious i30.

I think the Q50 is attempting to strike the middle ground between the G and my old i, and it very well might work out since Im guessing most people who bought a G did so for reasons NOT being performance.

I *do* question the producing-alongside tactic, since I think either one will take away from sales of the other. I could see if they had leftover G37's to get rid of, but actually producing them alongside makes it seem like thats not the case (unless they have a ton of leftover parts?) But its definitely a great time to buy a G, even if it lacks the sport package. $32K for a base RWD? With the nav and premium packages Im guessing around $35K? Thats a damn good deal if you ask me (my BIL just paid $30K for a Maxima...$5K difference for a completely different driving experience would be a no brainer to me)

Quick Reply: MT article - Q/G by the numbers..