G37 Sedan

MT article - Q/G by the numbers..

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 02:30 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
The Q50/Infiniti fans will always find a way to justify their choice. If the Q50 was .2 sec faster, it would mean a lot to them and they would be raving about it nonstop. But when it's .2 sec slower, they will find a way to justify it to be ok.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:25 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
The Q50/Infiniti fans will always find a way to justify their choice. If the Q50 was .2 sec faster, it would mean a lot to them and they would be raving about it nonstop. But when it's .2 sec slower, they will find a way to justify it to be ok.
.2 second faster or slower means little. It is a mistake to judge a car by a mere .2 sec difference in acceleration, because that is only one small aspect of the car.
Euro car fans willing to pay thru the nose for much slower car, rave about it then quietly trade it in after 4 year.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by CodeG
It is a mistake to judge a car by a mere .2 sec difference in acceleration, because that is only one small aspect of the car.
I totally agree with you. And yet that's the primary argument for every single 335i vs G37 discussion, as made from the BMW point of view.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by CodeG
.2 second faster or slower means little. It is a mistake to judge a car by a mere .2 sec difference in acceleration, because that is only one small aspect of the car.
Euro car fans willing to pay thru the nose for much slower car, rave about it then quietly trade it in after 4 year.
You're missing my point. I can careless about the .2 second. I was merely pointing out the fact that had it be the other way and it was .2 sec faster, then the fans would be all over that and rave about it like it was a big deal, when it really isn't.

I have a G, as well as a slower Euro car. And I do rave about the slower Euro car and love it more. However, I won't be secretly trading it in after 4 yrs.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I don't care, the front end ruined it for me, that large-mouth bass of a grill probably cost it the .2 secs
Old 08-04-2013, 08:59 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a G, as well as a slower Euro car. And I do rave about the slower Euro car and love it more. However, I won't be secretly trading it in after 4 yrs.
You have a Euro car and will not trade in after 4 years, good for you. But then only time will tell...
Old 08-04-2013, 09:22 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by oliveview
Again, that apologetic attitude is the one which allows a company like Infiniti to offer a car more tailored to the female buyer now.

That .2 seconds means "diddly squat"? Seriously? It sure means a great deal to those of us who price performance over looks. But like I said, a fair majority of the posters here are more into the rims, stance, and plasti-dip thing. And don't get me wrong, I like a nice-looking car. But not one which trades progress for window-dressing. There will always be a divide between those of us who prize substance over style, and the reverse.
Maybe you're not in Infiniti's new target demographic. The G never was a track vehicle. It's a well designed vehicle with a good blend of sport and luxury.

You may not agree the silly(imo) .2, but it's not about that and imo never was. It's about the new powertrains coming down the pike starting with the hybrid available immediately.

So they took the G and gave it a ton of window dressing technology. It's clearly not meant to be all things to all people.

Shaving a second off the G is going to be the business of IPL; when Infiniti decides to release it. The Q50 isn't getting any faster.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:24 PM
g37guy01

Nope, I would be saying the same thing. I do not believe any 0-60 in the mags.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:37 PM
scottp2765

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love my G37xS 2011. That said. I would love a dual clutch tranny.....better brakes..better suspension and more power ... a quicker steering ratio....and a real premium stereo system not the fashion statement of Bose emblems..that farts and rattles my dash. I do also agree that for the money it's a great car but they could do better and I would pay a little more if they did. Isn't the point to improve the car every year so we want to buy a new one? In any case those improvements would make me buy a new G or H or whatever they want to call it. and ..on my wish list adjustable suspension height and damping ...from the interior.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by scottp2765
I love my G37xS 2011. That said. I would love a dual clutch tranny.....better brakes..better suspension and more power ... a quicker steering ratio....and a real premium stereo system not the fashion statement of Bose emblems..that farts and rattles my dash. I do also agree that for the money it's a great car but they could do better and I would pay a little more if they did. Isn't the point to improve the car every year so we want to buy a new one? In any case those improvements would make me buy a new G or H or whatever they want to call it. and ..on my wish list adjustable suspension height and damping ...from the interior.
If you wanted better brakes, better suspension and better steering in OEM trim... then you shouldn't have bought the AWD.

But you probably already know that.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:27 PM
kcg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It appears that the is350 has won the JDM Bimmer substitute dynamically , at least . Neither will get my money without a 6 MT . Not all interested in hybrid power trains either. I don't get caught up so much in a few tenths to 60, but I think they should've left the chassis alone and added 2.0t DI turbo with 6 mt to meet their mpg goals.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
If you wanted better brakes, better suspension and better steering in OEM trim... then you shouldn't have bought the AWD.

But you probably already know that.
Or rather, Infiniti shouldnt force those that want those things into buying RWD only. I mean look at Porsche: the most powerful 911 you can get is AWD only. Isnt Nissans own GT-R AWD only?

Granted, the brakes on my AWD sedan are just fine. I suppose if I were tracking it that might be a different story.

Suspension can be fixed with $$$. Really the only thing on that list you CANT fix is the steering, and that might be do-able (Ive never looked into it)
Old 08-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Or rather, Infiniti shouldnt force those that want those things into buying RWD only.
Well, yes, but that's how they configured the Sedan. It just is. Infiniti didn't force anyone to buy anything. That's silly.

My point is, you can't blame the manufacturer for not building the car that you didn't buy.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Well, yes, but that's how they configured the Sedan. It just is. Infiniti didn't force anyone to buy anything. That's silly.

My point is, you can't blame the manufacturer for not building the car that you didn't buy.
Well you can get an RWD sedan with the bigger brakes, better suspension, etc.

Anyone that wants an AWD sedan is "not allowed" (better term?) to get the improved brakes, suspension, etc.

I could see if there were technical reasons behind it, but my understanding is that at least some of the available wheels (even on AWD) can fit the bigger brakes. Im not sure how different the coupe/RWD steering really is...maybe just a different gearing? Suspension *maybe* an issue with the AWD stuff in the way but Im sure they could have worked around it.

Maybe their demographic studies showed that AWD owners dont want that stuff. I personally would like both, but thats just me. I can always add it all myself if I REALLY want it.

And "not building the car I didnt buy", well, again, if they offered this stuff at all on an AWD sedan, I would have most likely paid for it. So I can at least blame them for not building the car I would pay for
Old 08-05-2013, 09:33 AM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by kcg37
It appears that the is350 has won the JDM Bimmer substitute dynamically , at least . Neither will get my money without a 6 MT . Not all interested in hybrid power trains either. I don't get caught up so much in a few tenths to 60, but I think they should've left the chassis alone and added 2.0t DI turbo with 6 mt to meet their mpg goals.
I think this is coming along with a 100K model to compete with the m5.

Quick Reply: MT article - Q/G by the numbers..