Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle shifters - Do you really use it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:01 PM
ZenZiglar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk
I use the paddles ALL the time. Believe it or not if you time it just right and lift briefly as you shift your shifts are smoother and faster. I find that having the ability to see whats happening ahead and preselect an appropriate gear is better than any dual clutch box.

I've been lucky enough to have driven DSG and DCT equipped cars back to back with the 5AT and I can honestly say I prefer the day to day driving of the AT. I'm not sure what people are talking about when I hear them say a dual clutch trans is better in day to day driving. There are two or three specific instances where a dual clutch is better, but having a torque converter in stop and go traffic is infinitely better (for me)

1) going down one gear at a time is smoother, debatably faster
2) Up shifting in manual mode is decidedly smoother going from 1->2nd gear
3) At freeway speeds flooring the throttle causes the exact same delays with the 5AT except where a swift partial throttle application is followed instantly by WOT
Educate us a little more about how to use the paddles. I like them, but wish I loved them. They are the reason I chose xS.

Are you saying we should lift off throttle just a bit after tapping the paddle?

Also, isn't the 5AT smoother than the 7AT?
Old 07-11-2013, 01:23 AM
gee wiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tazicon
People that have not learned how to use the paddles do not use them nor like them.
That very well could be the case. I've attempted to use them on many occasions, but can't quite get a proper feel for their operational value. Maybe if I had a hands-on lesson, or even a tutorial video, maybe I could understand proper usage and find them beneficial and enjoyable after all?
Old 07-12-2013, 01:40 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigwater
I'm hesitant between purchasing a 2010 G37x or a 2009 G37xS. For me the real plus with S are the paddle shifters. I drove only manual cars for the last 20 years.

During the test drive I enjoyed using the paddle shifters. But I'm concerned that once the honey moon new car/new gadget is over I'll stop using them, so the extra money spent is wasted.

What do you think?
Surprisingly enough, I use them all the time. The 5AT in my car is a bit sluggish for Bay Area driving so I use the paddle to downshift before I pull out to pass. The only problem is if your in DS mode and you use the paddles, the tranny stays in the gear you select. The only way to return it to auto shifting is to switch back to D mode.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:27 AM
1G372nv

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
I love using mine. I think the addition of the grounding kit made for a lot smoother, quicker more responsive shifts.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:47 AM
JDMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
They come very handy on the track and canyons. If only they were more responsive.
i wish they were more responsive
Old 07-12-2013, 12:53 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ZenZiglar
Educate us a little more about how to use the paddles. I like them, but wish I loved them. They are the reason I chose xS.

Are you saying we should lift off throttle just a bit after tapping the paddle?

Also, isn't the 5AT smoother than the 7AT?
I lift just before downshifting (it can be a partial or even a full lift). Seems that the computer is better able to rev match and the shifts aren't nearly as jerky. WOT upshifts don't require any special changes to your driving style. Simply pull at or near redline.

Unfortunately I have verry little experience with the 7AT and paddles, whenever I've gotten a loaner its been the x models without shift paddles.
The following users liked this post:
LilRocket (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 01:03 PM
ZenZiglar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk
I lift just before downshifting (it can be a partial or even a full lift). Seems that the computer is better able to rev match and the shifts aren't nearly as jerky. WOT upshifts don't require any special changes to your driving style. Simply pull at or near redline.

Unfortunately I have verry little experience with the 7AT and paddles, whenever I've gotten a loaner its been the x models without shift paddles.
I do the same, lift off gas before downshift, and maintain gas for upshift.