G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle shifters - Do you really use it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 07:37 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I use them from time to time. Maybe once every 2 weeks. They are a nice extra, but would not be a deciding factor for me personally when picking between x and xS. For me, it was the seats on the xS. I used to have an 09x and I always regretted not having the sport seats. I have a 13 xS now and I am happy.

If you get the x, you can always add the paddles later on IF you really want them.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:37 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by OBG37XS
They are very handy on the b-roads. I use them everyday!!! It's not that the paddles are slow to respond, it's the tranny. Infiniti needs to ditch the torque converter and use a dual clutch set-up. I mean come on - you hit the paddle, the gear indicator number on the dash changes, and then.......wait for it....gear change! The paddles do add some excitement to the otherwise boring auto trans though.
I drove the GTR and man did it shift beautifully, only problem is all the sounds the DCT made wouldn't be appreciated by everyone. Let's not forget the cost aspect too.

Changing via the gear shift lever is another option, but Infiniti has the '+ / -' backwards. When you pull the gear shift lever backwards, it should be for upshift, and when you push it forward, it should be for downshift.
That's debatable and has been debated many times here with the BMW fanboys haha. There is a DIY to flip it though if you must.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:08 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I used them all the time on the HWY only. Paddle shifter are a compromise they are not gimmicky. They give you the best of both worlds. I like to think of paddle shifter like all season tires, although I use summer and winter tires only.

They let you control your gear selection without the use of a clutch. I use full auto in the city, on in bumper to bumper traffic. M in the HWY when I'm driving in a spirited mode. I rarely ever use DS.

But they are not the same as a proper manual gearbox, and neither are the twin clutch gearboxes. Nothing beats the excitement of pushing down on the clutch and slapping the car unto gear! And this is coming from a guy who been driving since 1980 and has only driven an auto full time my first year driving and my last 5 years. But in all honestly If I'm going to drive a auto /twin clutch gearbox I would rather drive a car that has them.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:31 PM
pricojorge

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
get the X and buy the paddle shift kit and install it ... its oem so its the exact same thing. I think its under 200$
Old 07-07-2013, 07:31 PM
bjmsam
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gugarci
I used them all the time on the HWY only. Paddle shifter are a compromise they are not gimmicky. They give you the best of both worlds. I like to think of paddle shifter like all season tires, although I use summer and winter tires only.

They let you control your gear selection without the use of a clutch. I use full auto in the city, on in bumper to bumper traffic. M in the HWY when I'm driving in a spirited mode. I rarely ever use DS.

But they are not the same as a proper manual gearbox, and neither are the twin clutch gearboxes. Nothing beats the excitement of pushing down on the clutch and slapping the car unto gear! And this is coming from a guy who been driving since 1980 and has only driven an auto full time my first year driving and my last 5 years. But in all honestly If I'm going to drive a auto /twin clutch gearbox I would rather drive a car that has them.
I think you're right. I bought a '10 G37xS just last week when my wife convinced me to finally let go of my beloved 400hp '94 Stealth turbo AWD 6MT after nearly two decades and 185k miles of daily driving. It's disappointing that AWD models of the G37 are not available with the 6MT; I can only hope the 7AT compromise proves agreeable. I am not at all used to the G yet (nor it of me!), but the left paddle seems to work pretty well when approaching slow turns or preparing to pass despite the annoying delay (which seems no different in DS mode). It's going to take some getting used to, that's for sure.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I absolutely had to have them! That was one of the reasons I wanted the '11 LE... those red seats and the PADDLE SHIFTERS!

Yeah, um... I think I've used them 3 times. It seems I prefer to shift with - you guessed it - the shifter in manual mode.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:22 PM
NJ Torque
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I added them to my '12... and now my 13 S has em...
Old 07-07-2013, 11:50 PM
wildarmz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjmsam
I think you're right. I bought a '10 G37xS just last week when my wife convinced me to finally let go of my beloved 400hp '94 Stealth turbo AWD 6MT after nearly two decades and 185k miles of daily driving. It's disappointing that AWD models of the G37 are not available with the 6MT; I can only hope the 7AT compromise proves agreeable. I am not at all used to the G yet (nor it of me!), but the left paddle seems to work pretty well when approaching slow turns or preparing to pass despite the annoying delay (which seems no different in DS mode). It's going to take some getting used to, that's for sure.
3si member by any chance?
Old 07-08-2013, 04:19 PM
cramersec
Banned

I think this thread has saved me a batch of time and money. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I use them occasionally, would probably use them more if they were fast (like the ones on the M3 DCT). The reasons I bought the xS were:
1. I prefer look of sport facia and side sills.
2. Sport seats
3. 18" wheels/tires

Greg
Old 07-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Templos

Last year I did test-drive the coupe S for 3 days and honestly do not use them.
Always use the DS

I do have a Journey Prem, because in Mexico we do not have the S for sedan (only for the Coupe), but i would spend the extra money in the S package not for the paddles, but for the rest. Mainly the seats and stitch, and alum pedals, found it sweet.
Like the Front Sport fascia as well.

Now, if you really like the sport drive I would go for the 6MT
Old 07-09-2013, 03:24 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

I use the paddles ALL the time. Believe it or not if you time it just right and lift briefly as you shift your shifts are smoother and faster. I find that having the ability to see whats happening ahead and preselect an appropriate gear is better than any dual clutch box.

I've been lucky enough to have driven DSG and DCT equipped cars back to back with the 5AT and I can honestly say I prefer the day to day driving of the AT. I'm not sure what people are talking about when I hear them say a dual clutch trans is better in day to day driving. There are two or three specific instances where a dual clutch is better, but having a torque converter in stop and go traffic is infinitely better (for me)

1) going down one gear at a time is smoother, debatably faster
2) Up shifting in manual mode is decidedly smoother going from 1->2nd gear
3) At freeway speeds flooring the throttle causes the exact same delays with the 5AT except where a swift partial throttle application is followed instantly by WOT
Old 07-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
People that have not learned how to use the paddles do not use them nor like them. People always laugh at me when I say you have to LEARN how to use them. But its very true that you do. I never drive my Z any other way and when I would hit canyons and also just down shifting coming up to a stop light etc I would use them in the G.

One thing I will state is the autos shift better with the AC off.

Now to my PDK, it does not work better in day to day driving. The way they engage is very tough to use in stop and go traffic. When it engages the car jumps. I hate the paddles in the Porsche as they are attached to the steering wheel. This sound good and all but when running tight corners etc you can loose where they are. I like the paddles on the G and Z far better. In the Porsche I only use the paddles at times for down shifting. I would go into detail but this is a G forum.
The following users liked this post:
BloodLine_Prez (04-24-2022)
Old 07-10-2013, 11:37 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Tazicon
People that have not learned how to use the paddles do not use them nor like them. People always laugh at me when I say you have to LEARN how to use them. But its very true that you do. I never drive my Z any other way and when I would hit canyons and also just down shifting coming up to a stop light etc I would use them in the G.

One thing I will state is the autos shift better with the AC off.

Now to my PDK, it does not work better in day to day driving. The way they engage is very tough to use in stop and go traffic. When it engages the car jumps. I hate the paddles in the Porsche as they are attached to the steering wheel. This sound good and all but when running tight corners etc you can loose where they are. I like the paddles on the G and Z far better. In the Porsche I only use the paddles at times for down shifting. I would go into detail but this is a G forum.
Brian Cooley from CNET calls them flying paddles - saying that they suck is the biggest understatement of the year. Infinti's solution of having them fixed is sooo much better.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:13 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk
Brian Cooley from CNET calls them flying paddles - saying that they suck is the biggest understatement of the year. Infinti's solution of having them fixed is sooo much better.
I have to agree. I prefer them in the steering column verses on the wheel.

Quick Reply: Paddle shifters - Do you really use it?